PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen or Aerad..?

ppiper
25th Oct 2002, 00:16
Which is the 'Industry Standard...?

I am a PPL about to start Instrument Training. I am thinking of doing both FAA and JAR IR. I am about to invest in a set of charts and Flight Guides. Any views on which is the best for UK/Europe/US?

Aerad have a kit called 'The UK Touring Guide' with 'executive' and various other supplements for European Countries. Jeppesen have something similar but without the supplements.

My flying is mainly UK and channel Isles with some France and other European countries I also intend to do some flyine in the US - probably FL and CA.

Price wise there is not allot in it so any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Knold
26th Oct 2002, 22:10
Aerad now being SAS Flight Support, to be European Aeronautical Groupe.

If you'd like to know the elevation of the PAPI transmitter I would suggest Jepco

Crossunder
29th Oct 2002, 05:11
I think Jeppesen is the cheaper of the ones mentioned (from what I've heard), and their updates arrive in your mailbox faster than, say, SAS Flight Support. However; if you'd like charts for real pilots, the SAS FS charts (not Aerad) are by far the best. Jeppesen plates are designed to prevent Jepp from being sued when stupid americans kill themselves flying IFR night without being current ;-) Thus, they contain lots of un-interesting info, preferably written on three different places on the same chart, making it impossible to get a good overall picture from the charts.

And in case you wonder; yes I used to fly on SAS FS, and yes, I now use Jeppesen and hate it!

Knold
29th Oct 2002, 08:03
Jepco is not the cheaper alternative!

WX Man
30th Oct 2002, 10:38
I think Jepp do a package that is specifically for training for the JAA IR. It contains standard plates etc that are used in the written exams, I believe.

I personally prefer Jepp- I just prefer the way the info is presented. I think you have to look at both and make your decision based on what you prefer.

Basil
30th Oct 2002, 10:39
I've used Jeps for 10 yrs, Aerad for 20 & RAF for 8 and I'd rate them RAF, Aerad, Jep in that order. I can do without the same info printed two or three times on the same page but I guess we'll still have Jeps shoved down our throats all the same :eek:

The foregoing is from a previous post and is a personal opinion not intended to decry Jeppesson or to suggest that their products are in any way inferior etc etc ;)

ppiper
30th Oct 2002, 14:36
Thanks everyone for the replies.

To Summerise, it seems that the 'Industry Standard' is moving towards Jepp and Proffessional Pilots are using these - even though they don't particularly like them....?

1) Where can I get sight of the SAS ones and the RAF ones?

2) Is one reader referring to the 15 folder set from Jepp/Oxford Aviation on IR training? If so, which volume are the Flight Guides in?

3) What actually are these 'Executive Edition Suppliments' for the Aerad guides? And are they worth having?

My aim really is to use whatever is the 'industry standard' so that I don't get used to a certain (perhaps much better) set, only to find myself having to use a completely different format in other countries or with a different company - if I should be so lucky.

Once again, thanks for the input.

Paul