PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks at Rochester

PAFRA John
24th Oct 2002, 16:06
:D An unashamed advert I'm afraid. Rochester Airport are holding the 3rd Annual firwork display this year at EGTO. Bonfire lit at 6:15pm Fireworks start around 6:30 - 6:45.

BBQ, Soft Drinks, Hot Tatties - £3 for PAFRA members £2 for Kids.
All welcome

Professional display not a woolworths mega box :eek:

FlyingForFun
24th Oct 2002, 16:11
What date? I assume Nov 5th? Pity - if it was the weekend after I might be interested...

General question - what height do fireworks typically reach? I'm planning on doing some night-flying over the next couple of weeks, and although I'm looking forward to the aerial view of the fireworks, I don't really want a rocket up my aileron! :eek: I'd assume that they don't generally get above the kind of heights which I'd consider "very low level", right???

FFF
-------------

singaporegirl
24th Oct 2002, 17:00
fff

I did my first night flight last year on 4 November from Southend - and what a fantastic sight it was, seeing all the fireworks going off around London.

Don't worry: the fireworks didn't get anywhere near me at 2000ft :p . In fact it looked as if they barely left the ground!

Grim Reaper 14
25th Oct 2002, 08:20
I don't really want a rocket up my aileron

Some of us suspect otherwise Fu-Fu...;) :p

FlyingForFun
25th Oct 2002, 08:23
singapore,

Thanks, that's what I thought. I've got a check-out next weekend, really looking forward to my first night flying since January, and my first ever night flying in the UK. Pity my Europa isn't allowed to fly at night, though - it means I have to rent a PA28, which isn't as much fun, and costs over 5 times the hourly rate :eek:

Grim, I don't know what you're talking about! :D

FFF
-----------------

What a Loop
25th Oct 2002, 10:55
FFF

Regarding the hieght of fireworks not 100% sure if this is correct but it looked right at the time.

I was doing some night flying a coupleof years back in Florida and went went up around Epcot during the firework display, the instructor told me that the highest was possibly 500ft so as we were at 2000ft it was fine. :)

By the time we finished there were four aircraft in a little circuit of our own orbiting around Epcot watching the fireworks. It was really good, Flying and fireworks ( alright I know I am sad, but I enjoyed it)

WAL

TheKentishFledgling
26th Oct 2002, 10:38
I've seen this discussion before on another flying group, and it was said that they never reach 500ft.
Also (apparently), fireworks aren't that spectacular from the air :(

But it's still sommat I'd love to see!

tKF

PS John - am going to try and get there this year :)

Piper Warrior Pilot
27th Oct 2002, 13:18
The main rockets explode at about 800ft. So your not likely to get hit.

Are there rules about fireworks being set off from residential aeras near airports because on approach you might get hit.