PDA

View Full Version : C172 Fuel

Side Slip
23rd Oct 2002, 20:46
I'm a part owner of an early (1959) Cessna 172. I have recently experienced some strange fuel balance issues with this A/C not experienced on the many newer models i've flown (M's N's and P's). Does anyone out there fly a similar aircraft and experiance regular fuel imbalance and tank cross feed issues with both tanks selected. (We now normally only use Left and right tank unless T/O and landing etc). We have only recently owned this A/C and although the engineers are happy, it would be good to hear from any of you out there. The A/C is supposed to be the oldest 172 on the UK register, and therefore it is difficult to talk to other owners of this model. (was the design the the fuel system modified later on?)

Any ideas, knowledge, experiences, suggestions welcome.

:)

Ian Fleming
24th Oct 2002, 03:22
Side Slip,
I fly an even older 172, a 1958.
I have experienced the same problem you describe but to a lesser degree. There is an AD on the fuel system that requires you to use either left or right tanks when at, or above 5000ft. I did some research some time ago and seem to remember that there had been some vapour lock problems when flying above 5000ft when 'Both' tanks were selected. Apparently using either left or right tanks solved the problem. The fuel selector in my aircraft has a label instructing you follow the AD.
In normal usage I have also noticed it will draw more fuel from one tank or the other. For some time I did not realise that depending on the crosswind strength, the old girl seemed to track better with the upwind wing down a bit, and I just flew her that way! (I know crosswinds are not supposed to effect the aircraft in flight, but try telling my old Cessna that. If I hold the wings level she drifts off with the wind. It doesn't seem to matter if the crosswind is from the left or right. Using rudder to hold her just creates sideslip! I just put down to the old girl being over 50!) Of course it used more fuel from the downwind wing tank because it was a little bit higher. I just keep an eye on the interior mechanical gauges and if the imbalance alarms me, select the other tank for a while.....
Alway use both for takeoff and landing though.
Have fun with your old 'straight tail'.
Regards,
Ian.

alphaalpha
24th Oct 2002, 08:40
Sideslip:
Are you a memebr of the Cessna Pilots Association? This problem has been addressed in their email magazine and on their website. It's inexpensive to join and an excellent source of top information. Email me if you want details of CPA.

I have had the problem in my FR172J. It was helped by correctly positioning the drain/vent behind the port strut. A few mm height change made a real difference. Of course this may not apply to your model.

Side Slip
24th Oct 2002, 19:53
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I will pass it on to the other owners as well.

Good to hear from you Ian Flemming. There are not many straight tails about this side of the pond. (Have yet to find another in the UK!). She certainly is great fun to fly.

AlphaAlpha. I will e-mail you for those details, thanks.

Cheers

Side Slip

:)

alphaalpha
25th Oct 2002, 09:40
Side Slip

I didn't have the details available when I last posted, but as they are of interest to other people, I'll post them here:

Cessna Pilots Association: www.cessna.org
email [email protected]
Website has memebers only side with masses of technical info, a forum etc. There is a weekly technical email called ATIS and a monthly printed magazine. Also useful as a source of parts. Absolutely excellent value, in my opinion, for pounds36.23 annually.

Also try:
www.cessna172-182club.com. I haven't used this much myself, but worth a look.

Good luck with the fuel balance.
AA

alphaalpha
29th Oct 2002, 21:36
Side Slip

Look above for the details requested in your email.
Regards