PDA

View Full Version : Go diesel, refurb or buy new?

jayemm
23rd Oct 2002, 12:21
I'm a member of a small share-group owning a PA28. The *Annual has revealed that we need to zero-hours the engine or get a new one. The costs of this seem to be in the region of £10-14k.

We've been discussing the preferred approach to take, especially since one of the options might be to put in a diesel engine, based on the promise of significantly improved operating costs.

Is it too early to consider a diesel engine? Has it been sufficiently tried and tested so that we won't be pioneers? Do you believe the economics?

What would you do?

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2002, 13:17
Too early to go Diesel, the engines available are only just starting to get certification, on top of which you'd need to certify it in the aircraft - round numbers the certification exercise is likely to cost £5-£10 and take 6 months to a year, plus issues like the design of engine mounts, getting a letter of "no technical objection" from Piper, writing a POH supplement including a complete new set of performance figures, etc.

It's the sort of thing I do for a living, and I wouldn't contemplate it on my own aeroplane, or at least not the PA28 I'm syndicated on. If you were talking about a Permit aircraft the picture changes considerably.

G

xyz_pilot
23rd Oct 2002, 18:35
10 - 14K is way way to much to pay for a PA28 evan in the UK.

You should be able to get a good job for 7 - 9K. Unless youe eng has gone off with a big bang.

Talk to lots of people find out about good shops to work with and then WORK ON THEM, this is a good time of yesr to get a deal.

Mark 1
24th Oct 2002, 12:36
The cost of an overhaul can vary widely depending on what you're getting.
It can easily be broken down:
Typically £2500 for the labour of stripping and re-building
The rest of the cost is cylinders, camshafts, pumps, bearings, crank overhaul etc..
The biggest difference is often whether to overhaul the cylinder assemblies (about £1000) or to get new assemblies (about £1100 each). Sometimes the extra cost of a new engine is not much more than a comprehensive overhaul and you may be able to sell the old engine to a homebuilder (ideal for Pitts or RV6).
And don't forget the VAT.

p.s. I think Genghis speaks wisely about diesels, but £5-10 for approval seems like a good deal though.

bertiethebadger
24th Oct 2002, 16:09
As a fellow group member, the costs mentioned are for the full annual.

The engine cost is app £9.4K with the rest cosing app £2.5K. Is this a more realistic estimate.

The report on the engine would suggest that it was on its last legs.

LowNSlow
24th Oct 2002, 16:13
Alternatively you could get a lower timed used engine. There are a few aircraft scrap merchants, sorry parts recyclers, around :D

Nalson Aviation bought the wreck of my Aerobat after a storm flipped it. Their tel. no. is 01883 340062.

There is also an IO-360 zero timed by CSE for the RAF for sale in Popular Flying for best offer around £16k. It's set up for a cs prop and has an aerobatic oil system so is probably over specced for your purposes.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2002, 18:09
Okay, okay, there was a k missing. And I obviously wasn't including the cost of the engine and mounts.

G