PDA

View Full Version : US R/T - Why Standby '1'?

Select Zone Five
22nd Oct 2002, 13:43
Just wondered if there's a technical explanation for the phrase "Standby 1"? Seem to hear it a lot in the US whereas "Standby" seems to suffice in the UK :confused:

oxford blue
22nd Oct 2002, 14:14
It's supposed to be short for "Standby one second", ie, I won't keep you waiting very long.

But most people only say it because they think it makes them sound cool..................

saudipc-9
22nd Oct 2002, 17:14
Means "Standby for one minute" rather like the UK term
"Ang on a minute!" said with a heavy cockney accent:D

BlueEagle
22nd Oct 2002, 22:16
I believe it means 'standby one moment ' - a moment being an undefined period of time but, hopefully, short!:)

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Oct 2002, 22:59
FWIW, the UK army uses (used?) "wait one" in an entirely similar context.

Mode Charlie
23rd Oct 2002, 08:35
I thought standby 1 meant 'standy, you are the next to be dealt with'. on a very busy frequency I've heard controller respond standby 1 to one callsign and then standby 2 to another.

Spitoon
23rd Oct 2002, 09:17
That's an interesting way or doing it Mode C. My technique in that situation is simply tho shout standby and let the pitch of my voice indicate where you are in the queue - the higher my voice the further down the list you are! :)

Tinstaafl
23rd Oct 2002, 13:42
"Standby 1" is most likely to be phraseology transferred & adapted from military r/t.

The Oz army r/t phraseology uses "Wait 1" or "...2" or "...3" or whatever. The numeral denotes minutes of expected delay.

For a shorter period the word 'Wait' was used on its own & gave you about 5 or 10 seconds (I think. Can't remember, it was 20 years ago). If you needed a bit more time you could say the word again while remaining transmitting eg "Wait... 5 sec silence.....wait...5 sec silence....wait......"

If only military r/t relay procedures were also brought across. It's so frustrating & annoying to hear a a simple relay get muddled...

Tom the Tenor
23rd Oct 2002, 18:05
Saudipic 9, Cockneys would say 'Ang on a mo!' Have just been watching Eastenders!:D

Hippy
24th Oct 2002, 07:13
Nah, it's just the Americans way of trying to sound all proper & posh by using the third person.
'Standy One' - short for "One must standby, don't you know, old chap"

Squawk7777
26th Oct 2002, 03:15
be careful Hippy. Next time you make yourself known (US) ATC might just say...

"Standby one, errr, radar service terminated, Squawk 1200"

7 7 7 7

jungly
26th Oct 2002, 07:47
Tinstaafl is correct.

In Army parlance the term is "Wait". In aviation parlance we use "Standby."

The number, in theory, indicates the minutes of expected delay. "Wait", "Wait 1"...etc . If the delay is expected to be long or is uncertain the "Wait out" is used.

The Army used radios well before aviation. The reason for deviation from Wait to Standby is unclear.