PDA

View Full Version : Audio tapes for PPL training

Pilot16
21st Oct 2002, 23:15
Hi
Has anyone got any of the PPL training tapes sold by Transair?
Are they any good? Im planning to buy Radio Telephony, any comments on them is much appreciated!

regards.

Evo
22nd Oct 2002, 06:57
I got the Transair RT tapes and listened to them in the car on the way to work. I never found them very useful - they aren't bad, but I dont think they taught me much. Try them if you're still confused after reading CAP413 and they might help.

Best thing to do is real RT - trying to persuade an overworked Farnborough Radar to let you through their overhead works wonders... :)

Aussie Andy
22nd Oct 2002, 07:06
I borrowed them from a mate. With hindsight, could've done without them - think of them as "nice to have" not "must have" - but at the time I think they boosted my confidence ahead of the R/t exam. Sorry, don't still have them to lend...

Select Zone Five
22nd Oct 2002, 08:12
I didn't use tapes to study but I know someone who did and his tapes told him to say Q codes phonetically? :rolleyes: I used the real world experience of listening in on a scanner! ssssh!

I am a big fan of experience rather than theory...probably why I didn't go to University :D

NotAnotherUsername
22nd Oct 2002, 10:21
Dont know about the RT ones as I never used them but the morse code one was good - and no, don't panic, you dont need it for the PPL !

iainpoll
22nd Oct 2002, 22:33
Go and spend an afternoon in the radio room at Stapleford, usually very friendly, especially if you fetch the tea! I'm sure you would learn more about RT from that, I did!

Good luck,

Iain