PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instruction - Part Time

Fujiflyer
20th Oct 2002, 14:17
Hi all,

As a PPL holder who loves flying for the sake of flying I am thinking of adding to my licence the ratings necessary to allow me to give flying instruction (PPL). I presently have quite a good job and do not see myself using instruction as an hours building exercise, rather I would quite simply like to be more involved in flying. I feel that I would gain great satisfaction from being able to pass on my knowledge etc, to others. My hope would be that I could give flying instruction on a part time basis - ie still keep my "normal" job.

I have done the basic research into what I would need to do - it would appear that for paid instruction (which from the impression I get from the other discussions here I should be aiming at) I need to do: CPL, ATPL ground exams (preferable over CPL ones) and a FI rating. The likely cost is around the £15k mark (at present I have PPL+IMC and about 280hrs total time).

I am interested in gaining as much feedback as possible, particularly with respect to the following considerations:

1. Would a fully qualified FI who is part time (ie - who is doing it purely for pleasure rather than as a means to make a living) be likely to be resented amongst the full time staff at a flying school?

2. I would expect that extra instructors are required at the times when I would be available (weekends etc) and therefore that my availability would tend to fall in line with what is required by the schools. Is this correct in practice?

3. Are the ratings which I am proposing sufficient as far as what prospective employers expect? Do I need to maybe consider an IR or multi, etc? (I will be doing night rating soon)

4. How do the schools tend to view an individual who is instructing out of the desire to instruct rather than using it as a means to 1500hrs? Myself, I can see that each example has its own strengths and weaknesses.

5. If I was to do some of the ratings abroad (USA or SA for example) would this be detrimental to my ability to get work in the UK?

I have read the majority of postings on PPRuNe which relate to this topic and are well aware of the state of the market. However I would find it most useful to hear from members who feel they can give relevant advice.

Thanks,

Fuji

eyeinthesky
20th Oct 2002, 15:30
Fuji:

Good luck if you decide to go for it, and your reasons for wanting to do it could be regarded by some as being on track for making you a better instructor than someone who is 'only' doing it as a step up to an airline career. If money is an issue, then consider that it will probably take you several YEARS as a part time FI to earn back what the ratings have cost you in the first place.

To answer some of your questions:

1) That would depend on your colleagues and the CFI. Most part timers get the trial lessons to start with and then gradually build up their own client base. If you were to be allocated some existing students against the wishes of the full timers then that could be a problem.

2) Most schools are unwilling/unable to employ enough full timers to cover for their weekend demands, so part timers play a big part in providing for the weekend peaks. Some schools will pay a lower hourly rate to part timers but charge the customers the same.:mad:

3) You don't need an IR initially/at all, and you can decide to get the night and IMC restrictions removed at a later date. More cost, however, and you may find that the full timers have the night and IMC instructing sewn up so you will struggle to get into it. As for a multi-engine rating, it's not a lot of use as you will need to gain quite a few hours on it and then do a multi engined instructor course (more money!) before you can earn from it. Again the full timers might have that sewn up as well.

4) See my preamble.

5) You would have to convert to UK ratings on your return. More cost and time.

Good luck with it. I have done part time instructing for several years now and really enjoy it. The pleasure I get from watching the penny drop is reward for all those days looking out of the window waiting for the cloud to lift or for the phone to ring!:rolleyes: