PDA

View Full Version : Radio calls

Total Clean
19th Oct 2002, 12:54
Can anyone help?

I am about to begin my cross country flying soon, and was wondering about crossing through controlled airspace....the radio call involved.

Having read the Thom book, Lasors, and CAP 413 I know there is the standard TRPACER format, but have heard pilots making much more abbreviated radio calls for zone transits, for instance.

Should I go by the TRPACER call, or abbreviate it to something less than that. I don't want to choke up the airwaves, but I also acknowledge if I provide ATC with insufficient information it will be a problem.

What do all you lot do?

Thanks,

Total Clean

28thJuly2001
19th Oct 2002, 13:41
Who you are, Where you are, What you want, is about it in a nutshell.

Who you are...."G-ABCD, A PA38"
Where you are..."Currently 10 miles West of Abercymbucket at 2,500ft"
What you want..."Request clearance to cross CAS at Nowhere VRP to Somewhere VRP"
The ATC will then either say Yay or Nay, usually Yay with a few conditions i.e. Remain at 2,500ft, report entering, report leaving blah de blah.

Walt,,

QNH 1013
19th Oct 2002, 14:13
Even if you abreviate the TRPACER information, try to still give the remaining information in the same order because that is the order ATC expect it.
My experience is that TRPA R is quite sufficient for VFR flight. If ATC are uncertain of your flight conditions or want an estimate, they will ask you.
It is important to remember the bits ATC want you to read back, eg QNH, transponder codes etc. If you get easily flustered, then write these down before you read them back to ATC. Remember that it is quite ok to have a short pause (while you write the info down) before your readback. This is much more efficient than having to ask them again.
Enjoy your flights, remember that ATC are there to help you, and remember the radio gets easier with practice. Also, if you are ever uncertain, ask again.

StrateandLevel
19th Oct 2002, 17:01
Why is your instructor not covering this with you? Surely he would not expect you to cross controlled airspace without first having shown you how to do it!

If you are about to go off on a solo nav, you would be well advised to have completed the RT Practical so that you can concentrate on the flying.

vintage ATCO
19th Oct 2002, 17:22
Total Clean

It can also be a problem if you provide too much information! :D :D :D

It is also very useful if you say what service you require in you initial call - 'Anytown Approach, GABCD, for radar service' or 'inbound' or 'for transit', etc. Helps no end. Even CAP413 has caught up with this.

But don't get flustered if it doesn't come out right first time. Listen to RT, practice in the bath. Enjoy it. ;)

----------------------
vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

Circuit Basher
21st Oct 2002, 06:57
Don't worry too much about it - the guys on the ground are used to dealing with all sorts!

I flew yesterday up to Ballachulish (crossing over the Glencoe range) from Perth and this was the first serious solo nav work I'd done in 6 months. Talking to Scottish Info for the first time was a bit of a jumble - got most of the info in (without giving my grannies age away!!) but forgot to ask whether I wanted FIS / RIS / RAS [although with Info stations, I tend to assume that all I'll get is FIS, so it's pointless asking for anything else!].

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2002, 08:43
I agree that your instructor should cover this with you.

However, as a general rule, I always give every station almost exactly the same information when told to "pass my message", and 28th's Who Where What sums it up pretty well:

"G-XXXX is a PA28/Europa/PA18 from A to B, overhead/3 miles north of some well-known place at 3000', request radar information service, or request a transit of your zone at 3000' via VRP, or request joining information, or request MATZ penetration, or whatever".

It's never let me down yet. If anything's missing, the ground station will ask you for it, but that's rare.

FFF
---------------

StrateandLevel
21st Oct 2002, 17:55
And of course on the initial call I hope you make your request:

"Stevenville Radar G-XXYZ request RIS"

so that the man on the ground knows what to expect next.

drauk
21st Oct 2002, 18:27
I doubt anyone would have a problem with it in real-life, but during my RT practical exam the examiner moaned that my calls were too verbose.

Whilst I said something like:

G-XXXX is a PA28, from A to B, currently at Brookman's Park, etc.

he made me do it again and say:

G-XXXX, PA28, A to B, Brookman's Park, etc.

I guess this demonstrates the need (or at least the value) of passing information in the expected order.

Remember that the only indication of your abilities that a controller has (initially at least - he might later watch you fail to follow his instructions!) is your RT call and this can influence the decision to give you a certain service or clearance, so it really is worth learning to do it right.