PDA

View Full Version : touch and go

essouira
18th Oct 2002, 17:42
When we talk about something being really "touch and go" - it means it's a bit unlikely or iffy. So when we take off again from a landing, why do we call it a "touch and go" ??

Flat-Spot
18th Oct 2002, 18:51
Because we didn't stop!!
If we did stop, it would be a stop and go. However, if we are landing and taxiing in, its a full stop landing.

cheers, F-S

Notso Fantastic
18th Oct 2002, 23:33
Touch (down) and Go (again). It is a completely different aviation only expression now!

knobbygb
19th Oct 2002, 07:31
I always assumed the 'plain english' expression was derived from the aviation one. Anyone know?

touch&go
19th Oct 2002, 12:11
Not been called 'a bit unlikely or iffy before'.

Tonic Please
21st Oct 2002, 11:13
A Touch and Go could be referred to as a student doing a first solo, where the plane is TOUCHed on the runway and then full power is applied and the plane takes off and GOES...
The other would be the Go Around, where the aircraft does not touch the runway...

Any help? :D

Smooth skies
Dan

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Oct 2002, 21:02
It happens far more often before his first solo. Touch and goes are practicesd for many hours by students... but hey, you pilots guys must know that. I worked with some ex-wartime US pilots abroad who used to use terms like "follow-through" landings, which brought a few wry smiles!!

Tonic Please
21st Oct 2002, 21:14
HD - Without being picky...I was just using a solo as an example. I'm very aware of how many TG's a student does before solo :D

Just out of interest...I presume you work on 120.4 with reference to your Username?

Smooth skies

Dan :)

essouira
23rd Oct 2002, 08:13
Thanks for the replies but the main question still bemuses me. Does the expression "that was a bit touch and go" (ie iffy/chancy, not solid) have any connection with our "touch and go" ? Does anyone out there know, for instance, whether it was used before aviation ?
ps Apologies to you touch and go for calling you iffy

Skypark
23rd Oct 2002, 10:02
NO!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Oct 2002, 10:46
Tonic.. Yep, 120.4.. 119.72 and 134.97; the whole Heathrow bit. But not for much longer.