PDA

View Full Version : Bet you did'nt know much about this.

Flash0710
18th Oct 2002, 12:49
Guys & Gals,

Ever considered racing......??

It's easier than you think......

All you need are 100 hrs and an aircraft capable of 100kts

For all the details check out ....

www.airraceuk.com (http://www.airraceuk.com)

Maybe see you on the start line next season...?:D

camaro
21st Oct 2002, 09:47
Having done a couple of races (including the Kings Cup at Leicester) as passenger with John Kelsall in his RV6, I can confirm that it is a lot of fun!:D

If you have never been to a race before the mass finish where everyone crosses the line at almost the same time is a real eye-opener.:eek:

After aerobatics, racing is the most fun thing you can do with a hairyplane.:cool:

Whirlybird
21st Oct 2002, 13:26
Flash,

Isn't it 100 hours P1?

Flash0710
21st Oct 2002, 23:03
Whirly......

Thanks for passing.

You are quite correct it is 100 hrs PIC.

Please feel free to ask any other questions ( Will find correct answer if i dont know)

This has been my first season of racing and i won in alderney this year its blown me away and i have done something i did not believe i could....

FlyingForFun
22nd Oct 2002, 08:01
I'd be curious to read a description of a race from a pilot's point of view.

I know very little about racing. But, to my un-educated mind, it doesn't sound very interesting. I can fly my Europa at 100kts, or I can open up the throttle and fly at 130kts. 130kts isn't much more exciting than 100kts - I just get there sooner and burn more fuel. Not like cars, where going faster introduces a real adrenaline aspect to the driving.

I'd guess one difference between my scenario and racing is that racing is done at low level. But I'm waiting to be educated and find out what the whole thing is really about!

FFF
--------------

Flash0710
22nd Oct 2002, 17:27
Hi FFF

A good account has been written by one of the racers please see

[Hope you find it interesting.

Also another good point is the fantastic social side of racing......

[http://www.rv6.co.uk/pdf/rvnews17.pdf[/URL]

javelin
23rd Oct 2002, 09:09
Having raced as Nav and lookout three times a few years ago, I can confirm that the whole event is great fun. Handicap air racing is not about going fast, it is about flying accurately, on speed and arriving at the finish line with everyone else. Tactics abound and the camaraderie is excellent. Usually you would meet on a Friday, Practise on Saturday, Black tie dinner on Saturday night 9hic) then race on Sunday after someone has fazed eveyone with the smelliest kippers for breakfast (hurccc).

Best fun I had for years, you don't need a fast aeroplane, you just need to take part:D

Tiger_ Moth
23rd Oct 2002, 18:07
Hmmm.... I'm a bit confused about this air racing.
I thought air racing was like in the Reno Air races where people in mustangs and harvards fly around pylons at about 20ft.
The racing you are talking about sounds like its a straight line sort of "navigation race" without any weaving and 6g turns at dangerously low altitudes. And what type of height are these British races, ie Kings cup, at?

Someone enlighten me please,

Thanks,

PS that link describing a race didnt work for me.

Flash0710
24th Oct 2002, 15:15
Ok British racing is a little different from Reno,

I believe reno is formula racing not too sure,

We race on a handicap system ............. Ie Cub goes first baron goes last.......

The handicaping is worked in such a way that all aircraft should end the final lap in a gaggle.....

As to height we have to adhere to the 500ft rule however in Alderney we all had the temptation to ease ourselves down a bit...

Its a combination of navigation ie from turning point to turning point and yes TM there are quite a few pilots who do pull 6 g going round those turns..........

And try racing a mustang at UK rates.......!!! LOL.........:)

dedstikyfingerz
25th Oct 2002, 08:54
sounds like a recipie for disaster! maybe i'm wrong Look at silverston on race day, my concern is that between 100 and 150hrs p1 is a masive learning cerve, trying new things, not going round for prides sake etc... not a good time to start racing. at the afore mentioned silvo' most are comm pilots and r22's were bar'd last time i flew in. (a bit off the subj) any way all sounds like fun and i wanna go. mmm would like to ignore 500ft rule to make more exiting, thru towns and villages in between buildings. incidently on family fortunes lez dennis once asked the question "name a dangerous race" one guy from dudley replyd "the Arabs".;)

Flash0710
25th Oct 2002, 12:09
Stickyfingers

It's safer than you think before you start racing you undergo training with an approved race check pilot,

I did this with the 3 times Kings Cup winner Rogers Hayes who runs Skysport, a bit of a culture shock a first but there is no trick to it.

Previously all i had flown had been pa28's and 152's so it was nice to fly a stick plane too.................!

Flash0710
3rd Nov 2002, 11:59
The Calender for the new racing season should be out soon see if there is one near you...!

Flash0710
14th Nov 2002, 13:31
Also good racing info to be found here........

http://www.skysport.dial.pipex.com/

:)