PDA

View Full Version : Fokker F28

Stonebird
17th Oct 2002, 14:45
I'm about to do an F28 rating. Any of you out there familiar with this type? What are your impressions? Any tips, tricks etc? Also does anyone have any links to spec. info? I can only find photos and non-indepth info.

Any info gratefully received!

erikv
17th Oct 2002, 17:29
Stonebird,

I've flown it a few times, but I'm not rated on it. You'll probably appreciate the layout of the systems on the overhead panel. It gives a synopsis like you find on modern a/c, but it's made up of old-fashioned switches, lights and magnetic indicators, rather than push-buttons with an integral status light. You may find take-off power setting a bit more complicated, using a thrust index, rather that EPR or N1.

I really like the way the F28 handles, just as all the other Fokkers. It's too bad the re-engineing program didn't make it: most airframes aren't halfway their designed life yet and the wider cabin is so much more comfortable than most modern regional jets. The latter tend to give pax tunnel vision at 1G ;)

Erik.

Thermal
18th Oct 2002, 01:07
Can't help with any sites, however it is a great "pocket rocket". Enjoy.

dv8
18th Oct 2002, 20:20
Excellent A/C the F28
Its the second best I have ever flown (after the F100)
Try this (http://www.fokkerservices.com/) link for more info.

Stonebird
19th Oct 2002, 07:58
Thanks, guys. dv8, good site, much appreciated.

I have also found another good site, http://www.mmgmdrunen.cistron.nl/f28.htm

I note that most of the accidents involving F28's are in the runway overrun or stall after takeoff class. Any idiosyncrasies regarding brakes/speedbrakes ?

SyncMaster
19th Oct 2002, 20:33
Very nice flying little jet.
Cockpit is a little bit too noisy due to the A/C packs location just bellow crew seats but it is very roomy and pleasent in all other ways.
All systems are really big-aircraft-style.
Some do not have Altitude Preselect and Auto cappture of altitude so it may be very basic in some A/C.
Stopping on short runways is excellent.
You just can not be too high on the appraoach with a Fokker 28 - it can go down very fast if you force it.