PDA

View Full Version : The old Hong Kong approach

sloany
15th Oct 2002, 20:43
Hi,

Some while back over a few pints of beers down the local I was chatting to some friends who used to live in Hong Kong regarding the airport. As everyone is aware it used to be a hair raising ride as you approach between the high rise flats before touchdown. I was told that on the top of the last building you can still see wheel rubber where the approach was a bit low.

Firstly is this true? or has my leg been pulled half way around the world! and Secondly it would be nice to have the approach described, feelings by someone in the RHS or LHS and did anyone feel the bump a bit too early leaving a permanent reminder for someone on their roof!!

Many Thanks
Sloany

Bubbette
15th Oct 2002, 21:24
If you do a search on this airport, and landings, there are quite a few websites with photos of slightly off takeoffs and landings.

411A
15th Oct 2002, 21:35
Tyre marks on the roof...oh come now!!
OTOH, the old NDB approach from CC to runway 13 was most interesting...only time I noticed my Chinese co-pilots' eyes ahhh, round, big as dinner plates, and he was flying.
He rolled it on better than most, a superb job.
These were in the days when "reverse thrust" was the norm.
Make mine four...please, on the rocks.:)

Squawk7777
16th Oct 2002, 07:11
There is some more info here (http://www.geocities.com/teedeez/kaitakcharts.html) (including the old approach charts!)

slingsby
16th Oct 2002, 08:26
If you go to A340.net there is some flight deck videos taken on final approach to VHHH.

sloany
16th Oct 2002, 11:08
tyre marks are just what I heard down the pub! maybe its like the old fishing tales, someone saw a change in colour on the roof and it has now escalated to planes clipping them on approach....
but will check out the websites. I imagine the approach was made even more interesting when crabbing in due to a crosswind!

gofer
16th Oct 2002, 16:17
Was luckey enough to sit up top front on an SQ 747 all too many moons ago, with an Oz captain pulling a lot of wool, describing how he set it up and landed at Kai Tak.

He then invited me to stay and enjoy the view and use my brand new camera that I didn't yet have the hang of. What a missssssed opportunity, but still a fan bl**dy tastic ride.

Aim 100 yards to the left of the mountain top semi in the clouds with a beacon on the top - 270° starboard and aim the matchstick just to the left of center on the windscreen on the magnetic mountain. Over the Kowloon junk yard (now gone) and look down for Nathan Rd. When virtical count slowly 101, 102, 103 while aiming for the middle of the dip in the houses, 15° starboard, straighten and flair. If you are not down on the middle of the runway - you're in deep s**t. That's the way he told it and then proceeded to do it. No crosswinds that day.:D

Wish I could have done it that way much more often - but I'll try and check out for tire marks when I wander over ther at the weekend.

The place for those however is San Diego, USA - Lindbergh Field (SAN) where they don't allow parking or viewing on the top floor of the parkhouse - for what become extreamly obvious health hazard reasons, if you stick around nearby for a landing or two. :D :D :D :cool:

spekesoftly
17th Oct 2002, 13:33
A short while ago I stumbled upon an old copy of 'Pilot' magazine, dated April 2000. It contained an excellent article about the old HK approach, headed "Flying the B747 Classic" - "Linton Chilcott recalls happy days converting onto the 747 Classic, then flying them around Asia from Hong Kong's old Kai Tak Airport, with its infamous IGS approach". It included several photographs of the Airport, aircraft landing, and the unique checkerboard aiming point.

But no mention of roof-top tyre marks!! ;)

PAXboy
17th Oct 2002, 18:25
When I was working in HKG, 94/95, I spent one Sunday afternoon following the track on the ground!

I walked from where I was staying just near the Star Ferry Terminal, Kowloon side, towards the checkerboard [sic], underneath the flight path, then down to '13' stopping only at the perimeter fence. It was awesome to watch so many of them make that fabulous turn and remember how it was when I was inside the machine.

Then I took the bus back to the hotel and I promise that I did not take note of any of the aircraft numbers and types.

Honest!

sloany
17th Oct 2002, 19:26
I will have to go and get my leg shrunk a bit as it seems I was told a small white lie :rolleyes: !! anyone know of a good doctor.

I have had a quick look at the approach charts and one thing which caught my eye is the missed approach point. Quote "Missed approach is mandatory by the MM if visual flight is not achieved by this point" (MM is about 2nm from the runway). So what happened if there was fog, did you have to divert? or was there enough urban heat to raise the base level for Visual.

Just curious as it sounds as though it was a true gem of an approach, even if the buildings were not in danger :D

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming and I will continue to look at the suggested sites.
Sloany