PDA

View Full Version : [Pro Pilots]when "cleared for the visual"...

timbotch
12th Oct 2002, 18:50
do you always tune in the ILS (if available) and follow that down as a reference, or do you just visually land? i was just wondering after watching the planes line up above my house, they seem to always turn right on to the ILS about 15 miles out. this also could be due to ATC vectoring I guess. thanks

Pinky95
12th Oct 2002, 19:09
I think your seeing the aircraft being radar vectored in that case, if you get a visual you usually follow the prescribed circuit which is usually a lot closer to the runway then the 15 miles you just stated because you need to have the runway in sight when your doing the visual....

411A
12th Oct 2002, 22:57
In the USA,
for a visual approach, certain cloud height and visibility requirements must be met, the airport must be in sight, and in addition, if you are to follow an aircraft, that aeroplane must be kept in sight.
If approaching a runway served by an ILS, flight on the glidepath is recommended/sometimes required for noise abatement purposes.

timbotch
13th Oct 2002, 03:29
what I am really wondering though is whether you choose to tune the ILS frequency or not. and if you do, if you use that as a reference.
thanks

777AV8R
13th Oct 2002, 07:06
You Bet!
No use letting all that good technology go to waste for the sake of a visual.
The more backup information that you can have for an approach, whether it's a full ILS or a visual, the more you've got going for you.
Unstabilised approaches have led to more accidents and incidents in this industry than many of us would care to mention.

With widebody aircraft that have long fuselages, it is rather easy to misplace the gear for the landing....an ILS helps...or a properly interperated VASI or PAPI.

Best be safe than sorry.

Flat-Spot
13th Oct 2002, 08:19
I agree with 777AV8R, its all about being stabilized on the approach and using a ils for guidance whilst 'doing' a visual approach is a very good idea...in fact the company I work for insist on it!

Cheers, F-S