PDA

View Full Version : flying the 767

lightoutandarmed
11th Oct 2002, 23:19
hi
'just want to ask the guys who have flown or are flying the 767-ER.
what's it like? how do you find the airplane? is it a joy to fly?

thanks

penltbx2
12th Oct 2002, 01:07
The 767-200 is a real pig, very much underpowered for ER operations. The 767-300 is a different story, it is like driving a luxury sedan with a lot of horsepower without stopping at the gas pump very often.

Carbon Life Form
12th Oct 2002, 03:12
I'm sure there are 767-200's that are real 'pigs' ours, however are a real pleasure to fly, with the largest engines available and the highest gross weigh they may be a little unusual as far as -200's are concerned <Boeing re-opened the production line for us> they are a very capable aircraft.

Haven't flown the -300 but the -400 is even nicer to fly, unfortunately it's quite underpowered.

akerosid
12th Oct 2002, 08:31
Carbon Life Form, I'm guessing you're with Continental. Could I just ask, out of pure interest, do your 762s have the standard cockpit or the 764 version. If it's the standard one, do you have a common 757/762 rating?

Many thanks. (Incidentally, I flew on the 764 two years ago and a very nice aircraft it was. Pity it's not going anywhere, from a sales point of view; looks like yourselves and DAL will be the sole customers.)

Carbon Life Form
12th Oct 2002, 22:44
akerosid

Your'e right, and our 767-200's <unfortunately> do not share the
same cockpit as the -400, as far as I know that's not been certified yet.

I think the first -400 type cockpit on a 'classic' 767 will be on the future USAF tanker-200's.

The -400 is still on the same certificate as the original 75/6, with
us, you take a differences course, a simulator, and a line check. However, unlike Delta we are expected to stay current on both the 75/2/3, 76/2 and the 76-400.

The only real difference in our 762's is in the cabin with a '777' type interior and the bigger engines/ higher gross weight.

This can be a problem as the 767 trips are more senior since they pay more, so the more junior pilots will lose 'instrument currency'
if they do not fly the -400 cockpit at least twice every 90 days. That is rectified with computer training device 'refresher training'
<landing currency is good for all types>

Bit complicated and the -400 fly's differently enough that a good argument could be made for it to be a dedicated fleet like Delta operates.

It all came down to money as usual and the FAA approved our byzantine set up to our company's great advantage