PDA

View Full Version : Performance 'A' etc Aircraft

merchants
10th Oct 2002, 18:14
Just read Guanty's post in reporting Points.

What is the difference between a Performance 'A' Aircraft and a Performance 'C' aircraft?

Presume it's something to do with engine failure? If so, what?

Firestorm
13th Oct 2002, 10:22
Perf c was loosely based on the Twin Otter, and perf A loosely on a 727 (I think). See the thread started by the Bug, Performance A, Performance C.

Squawk7777
14th Oct 2002, 22:13
When I took Perf. A in 2000 it was based on the L1011 (shiver!)

So what happened to Perf. B ? :rolleyes:

7 7 7 7

john_tullamarine
15th Oct 2002, 00:13
The various terms date back to the old UK BCAR design standards.

Performance A relates to big aeroplanes (cf FAR/JAR 25) ... a pass in a generic performance exam covering the sorts of things big aeroplances do was required prior to flying them...hence Performance 'A' ...

Whatever sample aircraft might be used in the exam is only an example of a heavy .. no more .. no less .. the reference to 'A' is to the old classification, not the sample aircraft used in the exam.

bookworm
16th Oct 2002, 14:45
To amplify those slightly, the performance class relates (related?) to the performance after an engine failure.

Class A requires the aircraft to have adequate performance to account for an engine failure at any stage of flight, including, for example, the most critical point on the take-off roll.

Class C requires similar accountability from about 200 ft in the climb out to about 200 ft on the approach. For the first and last 200 ft, you may have no option but to close the throttles and crash straight ahead.

Class D makes no demands in the case of engine failure.

merchants
16th Oct 2002, 19:06
Thanks for that Bookworm, that was what I was looking for.

So, a class 'A' aeroplane can lose an engine at any time on take-off, and still climb away. Then, the crew fly it around the airport on one engine, and come into land. :cool:

But if a class 'C' aeroplane loses and engine below 200ft, the crew would have to steer it to the nearest empty field? :eek:

I assume Jet aircraft are all class 'A' because of the hugley powerful engines?

Class 'D' sounds like light aircraft to me - is that right?

Which class do Turboprops come into then? Class 'A' or 'C'?

bookworm
17th Oct 2002, 07:31
But if a class 'C' aeroplane loses and engine below 200ft, the crew would have to steer it to the nearest empty field?

They might have to. Subtle but important difference, I think.

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that all 5700 kg + aircraft have to be class A. Most light twins are Perf class C, though I believe that the most miserably performing may be class D.

DROGNA
17th Oct 2002, 10:18
I could be wrong (!) but this is the info I've got on the subject.

Perf C All prop engined aircraft with less that 9 passenger seats and less than 5.7 tonnes
Perf B All prop aircraft greater than 9 passenger seats greater than 5.7 tonnes
Perf A All Turbo prop above 5.7 tonnes and 9 seats and all jet aircraft that can maintain a minimum climb gradient as defined by JAROPS

Please feel free to correct at any time!