PDA

View Full Version : Headset types in GA

Pages : [1] 2

huntsman
9th Oct 2002, 23:12
mostly just wanted to start a poll, so here it is.

everyone seems to use David Clark 13.4's
what type of headset do you consistently use?

Arm out the window
10th Oct 2002, 11:49
Is there some kind of useful adapter that lets you use a David Clark headset, say, in both the standard light fixed wing two plug setup, and a Jet Ranger helo single plug system; and if so, how much are they?

criticalmass
10th Oct 2002, 11:51
Peltor headset, very comfortable but not noise-cancelling.

compressor stall
11th Oct 2002, 01:21
AOTW - yes they are available, they are very small and easy to lose. A 2 into one socket. Some of the old Skywest aircraft you'll hear in your part of the world have the single plug com system, and they can be used to plug into them with new DC's.

I use a pair of DCs no idea what type, and often on long trips I will use ear plugs too. Already have a hearing loss, not planning on making it worse.

Arm out the window
11th Oct 2002, 20:53
Thanks very much CS, I thought there might have been some impedance problems or whatever, but if it's just a plug adapter that will work out well.

I think the earplugs idea is good if you can get enough volume out of the ICS; my ears have taken a bit of a caning over the years as well!

huntsman
12th Oct 2002, 20:04
David Clark must be laughing with 60+% of the market.

Jamair
13th Oct 2002, 11:26
After 10 years of DC H10-30s (which I got after the old man had had them for 10 years - and my hearing is still fine so they can't be too bad!) needing only a rewire / general service, I think they are a fine headset; however a recent trip which involved a number of 4-hour sectors convinced me the time has come to embrace the new age. I have finally decided to upgrade to ANRs (tentatively DC H10-13XL).

Anyone using 10-13XL ANRs got an opinion of them (based on experience)? Or of other ANRs?

The unfortunate truth is that headsets are like women - they are a very individual taste thing.

Cheers

QNIM
13th Oct 2002, 21:30
Have used DC 13.4 for several years now after Peltor broke and could not get spare part, Used a Bose on a trip very nice but at $2500 quite happy to go back to my DC's Cheers Q

PLovett
14th Oct 2002, 05:04
David Clark 13.4

Already have a significant hearing loss from the days when head sets were unheard of in GA and I don't want it to get worse.

Only change from the original is to use a set of the cotton ear muffs which really help in the hot weather.:D :cool: :D

MLS-12D
15th Oct 2002, 23:05
I have two 13.4s, one for me and one for my wife. Both have been modified with Oregon Aero's (passive) upgrade kits, and I've been very pleased with their performance.

If you install one of those kits - which require you to insert their foam product into the earcups - you will be very surprised at the el cheapo foam that DC puts into their headsets. Essentially, there's nothing between your ears and the outside noise except the plastic shell of the earcups.

AOTW: here is the link you need: www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/plugadapters.html

howard hughes
16th Oct 2002, 23:05
Have David Clarke H10-40's 17 years old , two new mike's, two new sets of ear seals, good as new.

Cheers HH.

gaunty
18th Oct 2002, 01:42
Had to rob a bank at the time but my H10-80s with gel seals, cotton covers and independant volume controls on each ear are looxury still 17 years on.
You can back off the vol knob a good half of what you would normally need.

The only ones that were better were Bose ANR actives, (had to sell one of the children for those), the whoooosh and then almost total silence when you powered them up was eeerie and you could turn the volume down almost to zero it was almost like having voices in your head.:eek: perfectly clear and those of the person in the other seat.

I hope the person who "borrowed" them enjoys them, a&sehole and I promise you, I will recognise them when I see them again.:mad:, they have a non factory mod. :cool:

Arm out the window
18th Oct 2002, 08:23
Thanks, MLS-12D, that's a very handy link.

Towering Q
19th Oct 2002, 11:14
13.4's for me too. They only become uncomfortable after the third hour. The backside is usually a bigger problem by then.

Had a pair of those grey Telex headsets that make you look like a Cyberman from Dr Who. Very comfy but the plastic bit that adjusts the headband width broke and neither wire or superglue has been able to rectify the situation.:(

Tinstaafl
19th Oct 2002, 14:56
DC H10-40 for me.

They're at least 20 years old and still going strong. In '93 or '94 I sent them back to the DC factory in the USA for an overhaul.

I have no intention of purchasing another...

Trumpetter
23rd Oct 2002, 09:44
MLS-12D, check your private message's mate

ModernDinosaur
23rd Oct 2002, 20:15
I've got two headsets, one Avcomm AC-900, the other a Peltor 8006. Both are good - the AC-900 is slightly heavier than the 8006 but mre adjustable, and both are very comfortable. They work fine everywhere I've tried them except in one aircraft I fly, and even then it's only a problem if another person is using a set of DC's. I guess this is the infamous "headset matching" problem...

Cheers,

MD.

Watchdog
25th Oct 2002, 23:23
Cant beat the DCs for reliability and longevity.
Got my first 10-80's in 1987 and traded them in on 13.4's in 1999 - that's 12 years of 5 or 6 days a week service - one mike change and a broken mic plug courtesy of the Aerostar's mic jack location. You'd have to be happy with that!!!

:D

Trumpetter
29th Oct 2002, 07:13
Does anyone have any information on the passive upgrade kit MLS-12D alluded to? I can't get hold of him. Will the upgrade kit void the five year warranty that DC offer with their headsets?

Regards,
T

Jamair
14th Nov 2002, 10:45
I now have a proud collection of 4 headsets - 2 x DC H10-30's (very good all purpose passive units); 1 x Altronics C9070 (OK for basic use - pax); and the latest, a DC H10-13XL ENR - I wish for my ears sake I had bought these 20 years ago.......do yourselves a favour, find someone with a set, borrow them and see if you are not convinced.

Wheeler
27th Nov 2002, 16:14
Got 6 pairs of Avcomms, various grades, never a bean of trouble with any of them. Anyone any opinions on ANR headsets? worth the money?

Jamair
28th Nov 2002, 12:39
Wheeler:

Short answer - YES

Long answer - HELL YES!!!

Got the DCs as above, but believe that Bose and Peltor also are good. DCs got the nod for waranty and availability of service / parts. As for performance - more I wear em, more I swear by em.

Arm out the window
30th Nov 2002, 01:35
I just got a set of DC H10-13H, which are the 13.4s with a helicopter compatible plug - very light, comfy and work well.

The quote for the adapter cord to make them usable in a fixed-wing 2-plug set up was a bit of a shock though - $180 or so; must be more than just a splitter lead, perhaps there are impedance issues to fix.

Anyway, the headset's good.

kiwi1
1st Dec 2002, 10:55
I concur with Jamair, I have had H10-13X's for about 5 yrs now, and ANR is the way forward, you just lose all the rumble/drone, that is so fatiguing. Mine are an earlier model, and they have a bit of a thirst for AA's but well worth it.

Also like someone else said, anyone can fix/service DC's and that is going to make you life easier when u need work done.

Cheers

Kiwi1 :D

Jamair
2nd Dec 2002, 09:46
You can get an optional connector that goes from the battery pack to the ciggie lighter and dispense with the batteries completely; or as I have, another battery pack as a backup. I've done 50 hrs so far on the first set.....

GA Driver
17th Dec 2002, 21:34
What about the David Clark H20-10XL? Anyone had any experience with these?

Wing Root
22nd Dec 2002, 04:48
I'm checking out the range of ANR headsets available.... anyone have any experience with the Pilot Avionics PA17-79 (http://shopping.pilotportal.com/catalog/product.html?productid=3659&categoryid=49)?
Especially with regard to compatibility with other headsets.

ausdoc
9th Apr 2003, 05:59
I've got DC 10-20s and have always found them to be very good. Also got a set of Peltors for helicopters.

WhiteRat Wannabe
18th Apr 2003, 16:12
Peltor 7004, great headset, good sound and very comfortable. Had a couple of days logging 8 hours and you don't even know you've got them on.

Never tried a DC but after my altronic experience wanted something completely different (not green and heavy).:cool:

slackie
29th Sep 2006, 20:57
Have been using a cheapie Avcomm inserted into a helmet (for aeros), but have just recently purchased a Gentex HGU-55 with factory ANR and the difference is unbelieveable - the only disappointing aspect is that it removes some of the "ambience" of the Pitts - such is the price of protecting one's medical (and skull!!).:ugh:

777WakeTurbz
30th Sep 2006, 01:10
Ive had DC H10-13S for about 4 years now and they are great and not one problem, ive tried a couple of pilots Bose headsets and didnt find them as comfortable even though they were much lighter.

Ive considered getting an ANR kit for them but have heard mixed feelings about the after market ANR kits going around.

Any thoughts?

Turbz:ok:

pall
30th Sep 2006, 06:29
I love my DC 13.4 with the Gel ear muffs. I have had no trouble with the performance or comfort. I have just now replaced the foam mike muff as the old one perished after 7 years.

I bought an Altronic for the PAX at considerably less cost. Has the flexible boom (not wire) and gel ear seals. Also faultless. Very happy with both.:ok:

Daqqy152
30th Sep 2006, 07:33
I'm checking out the range of ANR headsets available.... anyone have any experience with the Pilot Avionics PA17-79 (http://shopping.pilotportal.com/catalog/product.html?productid=3659&categoryid=49)?

Had Mine for Just over a year now. They work well....you will run out of gas before your head starts to get sore, Plus they work well with the battery dead and you will get fifty hours out of a charge.

Stereo/Mono switch, vol for each ear and plug and lead for Music/cell fone. Give them a try.....well worth the money and cheaper than DC or Bose ANR

morno
30th Sep 2006, 10:07
Purchased the DC 13X (I think that's it, :confused:) ANR headset last year, and would NOT ever go back to a conventional headset. Occasionally I might forget to turn them on during taxi, but I can tell you, once I start powering up for take off, it becomes plainly obvious!! Flicking the on switch is like going to heaven, :ok:.

Worn them inside King Airs on occasions as well, and it's dead quiet.

morno

Daqqy152
30th Sep 2006, 19:19
Daggy,
Do you know where to get the leads for mobile phones, I want to plug an LG into my headset. I've only got the lead for an mp3 at the moment?
:ok:

Try a Cellphone supplies place to see if you can get a LG car Kit adapter lead or

www.flightcell.com

Outfit in Nelson they do a lot of leads for their stuff (not sure if they list them on the site anymore)

If all you need is 3.5 - 2.5 plug one came with the pilot headset and you should be able to get it throught the Pilot agent

Daqqy

Mad Girl
1st Oct 2006, 06:42
I've had the PA17-71 for the last few month's. Chose them over the PA17-79 for 2 reasons...cheaper (about £50 less) and lighter.
Has a separate battery box you can clip to your belt therefore only weighs 9.6 oz.
Haven't done any long trips in them yet but they're so light I rarely even feel them. But are good enough that they've never moved and stayed comfortable doing aerobatics.
Just looked at the date of the original post.
The set I've got, and another cheaper entry level set, came out since the original post.

jandakotpilot
1st Oct 2006, 15:26
Bose all the way!
No more sore ears, so light, so quiet.
Greatest thing since sliced bread!:D
Many years of faithful service on a daily basis, batts get changed evey 50hrs or so. No problems at all.:)
Traded up from a sweedish made Peltor (not the new USA made cheapies) and never looked back.:ok: (The Peltor went u/s after 15months:mad: )
Worth the $$, you really get what you pay for!:D

777WakeTurbz
2nd Oct 2006, 00:20
So has anyone converted a 13.4 to ANR?

Rather than buy a new 13X when i have a perfectly good set of 13.4S, im considering having ANR installed on them, thought someone may have tried this before and be able to let me know how it worked out.

Turbz

Dj Dave
2nd Oct 2006, 03:25
Check out the new DC X11, really nice and cheape rthan the bose x

you can even plug in your cell phone/mp3 player direct into it, and they provide u with the leads depending on your phone brand (make sure u have a 2.5 mm socket on ur phone though)

multi_engined
2nd Oct 2006, 08:03
You should have included Avcomm.

PittsS2A
2nd Oct 2006, 22:51
So has anyone converted a 13.4 to ANR?

Rather than buy a new 13X when i have a perfectly good set of 13.4S, im considering having ANR installed on them, thought someone may have tried this before and be able to let me know how it worked out.

Turbz

Wake Turbs,

I have converted my set of 13.4's to ANR using the Headsets Inc ANR Kit.

I have had them converted for about 6 years and they are absoloutley fantastic.

You can see the details on their website http://www.headsetsinc.com

I purchased mine through Global Aviation Support in QLD http://www.globalav.com.au

Cant remember how much it cost me back then but I can say that it was well worth it and much less than the difference in price between a standard set of 13.4's and the 13.4's with the ANR built in from DC.

Cheers
Pitts

transonic dragon
6th Oct 2006, 07:20
I've got DC H10-13.4 with after-market ANR kit. Excellent all round, particularly cos I've been flying Bongos recently, one of the loudest of all aircraft. ANR kit is pretty thirsty on 9V batteries, my rechargable NiMH 9Vs last about 6-8 hours, so that's a pain in the asre.

But I too have had some minor hearing loss (mostly from activities prior to aviation), so have no hesitation in paying the money. As mentioned above, the fatigue factor is very much reduced, something which you don't credit until you have flown with ANRs.

I'm saving my pennies for a set of DC X-11s; I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet on this thread. By all accounts equal to the Bose for noise cancellation and comfort, but with DC warranty and peace of mind, also built-in adapter for mobiles/MP3s. Cheaper too, by around $100.

REALLY keen to try a pair. Anyone flight-tested these?

pazza
6th Oct 2006, 14:55
G'day all,

Im looking at purchasing either a DC H-10 13.4 or or the stereo version of it. If I were to go ahead with the stereo model, would there be any compatability problems or dramas using mono intercoms, as well as other mono headsets? I believe the stereo model has a built in toggle switch, is this correct?

Thanks any info / advice,
pazza:ok:

777WakeTurbz
7th Oct 2006, 01:07
Im looking at purchasing either a DC H-10 13.4 or or the stereo version of it. If I were to go ahead with the stereo model, would there be any compatability problems or dramas using mono intercoms, as well as other mono headsets? I believe the stereo model has a built in toggle switch, is this correct?

Yup, i have a pair of the 13.4 Stereos and would never go back to the monos, they do have a small switch to toggle back to mono if needed, but ive never had any troubles. Im considering putting an ANR kit in them instead of buying new :cool:

I tried the BoseX headset last night actually and was quite impressed with them but simply cant justifly spending $1500 when i have a pair of DC13.4S that are in brand new condition even though they are 5-6yo.
I will be trying the new DC X11 when they become available to test soon, but i still think i will just upgrade my DCs because theyre just a great reliable headset :D

Turbz:ok:

Bendo
8th Oct 2006, 22:57
My DC 10-13S stereo headset is now 11 years and about 4,000 hours old. Mike has ben replaced once after it was chucked in - the bloke I lent it to then tried to use a match to dig the chunks out of the little holes :uhoh: :ouch:

Don't lend your DC's. :ugh:

Otherwiswe in good nick, although one of the rivets holding the ear cup to the headband finally wore out last month.

Making too much cash in a non-flying job so the X11's are on the cards :ok:

Led Zep
10th Oct 2006, 01:55
Currently using some Bose Xs, and it was the best $1500 I ever spent. :}
Got some Peltor Cirrus 8007s for "backup" and are what I give to my pax when we go for a cruise.
Long before either of them I was using some Altronics C9070s that "fell off the back of a truck" around 1990, so to speak. :E There is a lose wire in 'em somewhere these days, so the earphones are intermittent but otherwise they are still kicking along just fine and have been "modded" with DC gel earpads. :ok:

My DC 10-13S stereo headset is now 11 years and about 4,000 hours old. Mike has ben replaced once after it was chucked in - the bloke I lent it to then tried to use a match to dig the chunks out of the little holes :uhoh: :ouch:

Don't lend your DC's. :ugh:

I always make sure to point out to my pax that if they are going to chuck, bump the mike out of the way first, or move the mike completely out of the way and only put it down if you want to talk. :}

gassed budgie
10th Oct 2006, 02:23
David Clark H10-60's for me. They're comfortable though a bit heavier than other headsets, but over the last 15 years they've been sat on, dropped, gouged and run over.
After being epoxied back together and replacing the head band and ear seals, they still give crystal clear service after all of this time. Never fly without them.
I feel a bit naked when I don't have them on.

yowie
12th Oct 2006, 09:46
Currently investigating DC X11 vs Bose. Anyone actually used the DC and can rate comfort etc. Good reports all around for the Bose,but doesnt have the imputs/warranty but apparrently good batt life. DC also dont mention the weight,is this for a reason? I USED to have 13.4s and they were great,so if the weight similar guess it wont matter.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
12th Oct 2006, 11:02
Am using a Sennheiser Headset at the moment that has ANR with no Batts. It does have the loopy euro connection but can get the converter pins. The ANR is better than the DC and not as good as the Bose. Nothing worse than the batts flattening and getting the echo. Had a Gallet helmet once that had the best ANR, was an aftermarket fit to DC cups, don't know the brand but the quietest ride in the shorts skyvan ever.

Bendo
12th Oct 2006, 11:15
... and I am only luke-warm.

Weight is lighter than the 13.4's, would you believe about 11 lb? :} They are very comfortable and if I wasn't playing with the ENC I would have forgotten I was wearing them. I will be doing some aero's over the weekend, too, so I will be interested to see if they stay on.

First impression was of usual DC build quality, very smooth and tight in all components, although I wonder how the carbon fibre headband will look after 5-10 years and 4,000 hours. The control box (2 x AA batteries supplied) is about 120mm long and 30-40mm wide and fairly unobtrusive. Again, will be interested to see if it floats around the cabin while doing aero's :ouch:

What about the ENC?

The first test was in a Grob G115 - The Grob has a really irritating harmonic around 2400-2600 rpm which is what tipped the balance and made me buy ENC. The harmonic wasn't eliminated but at other power settings all I could hear was wind noise (ok and the tone of he motor... but not really "engine noise").

Gazelle is OK but an incredible squeal on the PTT that wasn't there with my 13.4's. Low frequancy noise breaks through and the overall noise reduction seemed to be less than the plain 13.4s.

Aeros in the Decathlon ... yes the little box floats around and its mass allowed the cords to move around more than plain cords, on one instance looping the cords around my neck during a reverse cuban. The ENC was patchy with lots of low-frequency noise breaking through. The seal around my ears actually isn't as good and at one stage the noise level with the ENC on had me worried that the door had come open.

To be honest I am really disappointed. I have yet to see how they go in a twin but it may be a while before I am in one again. If anyone has tried them in a twin please let me know - otherwise I might be sending them back :(

yowie
13th Oct 2006, 01:32
Thanks Bendo,I take it you mean oz's! Do they fold up smaller than the 13.4s,ie to be able to fit in the top of a nav bag full of jepps etc? Does anyone use rechargables and what sort of life are you getting?
Cheers

Icarus53
15th Oct 2006, 06:52
Doesn't seem like you get many 10-60s in Oz. I got mine in the US when I first started and have found them to be the best for a non-ANR headset (against all the ones I've borrowed around the place).

One great thing a few posters might be interested in is that the cord is interchangable for quick adaption to rotary or military sets. You just order the extra cord from DC and you're set to quickly transfer between types without a drama.:ok:

The other thing is the boom is a "best of both worlds" set up, with both a sliding metal section and a flexible rubberised section. Although the 13.4 is light, I was never really sold on the boom (call me old fashioned).

The weight is only a bit up on the 13.4 and the cushioning over the top ensures you'll barely notice it at the end of a full day in the cockpit. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

fleecy
20th Oct 2006, 09:14
Tried new David Clark X11 in an Embraer 145. Intercom was very muffled.
ATC a bit muffled, especially the frequencies that are bounced off a relay station or 8.33 channels.
Intermittent feedback noise to other Pilot who was using a David Clark H10-60.

The X11 has a new design mike that I think is causing incompatability.

I used a Sennheiser HME100 previously. No problems.

Might try the new Sennheiser HMEC 460 ANR. Seems to have the same Mike as the HME100. It has a 10 year warranty.

Anyone tried this or the previous HMEC 450?

planemad_bk
24th Oct 2006, 03:43
For anyone who uses a Bose X does wearing sunglasses screw up the noise cancelling? I've got a pair of Serengeti Lassens and i just want to know before getting a Bose X if they interupt the ANR?

PilotHTR
24th Oct 2006, 12:15
Planemad,

Bose - fine with sunglasses.
X11 - Crap with sunglasses. THe ENC fall to pieces the moment the cups are not clamped (hard) to your noggin.

I got a pair of X11 recently to compare with my Bose - mainly because of the phone / music inputs.

Well, forget it. Bose have much better ANR, can tolerate glasses and are better fit.

Cheers

PilotHTR
25th Oct 2006, 00:58
Planemad,

I've been a BOSE user for a while now, and love them. Recently got some DC X11's to compare (cause I wanted the music/phone input).

Here's the outcome:

BOSE: Sunglasses no problem at all, ANR and comfort excellent
X11: Sunglasses totally trash the ENC, which was no as good as the bose to begin with. Comfort not as good as bose.

THe X11's are now relegated to back seat passengers.

GO the Bose. Hopefully they'll offer a phone/music interface soon
Cheers
PilotHTR

NZ06AR
4th Jun 2007, 07:48
i used to us a DC 13.4 but no i use a Bose Aviation X... best investment i ever made..

MCKES
6th Jun 2007, 09:36
H10-20 Slightly better noise cancellation than a 13.4 but at a weight penalty. I would prefer a 13.4 as the weight gets to you after a while.

tipan13
8th Jun 2007, 22:24
On the subject I just happen to have two for sale.....
David Clark X11 ( only 3 months old ) $800
David Clark H 10 13.4 ( 2 years old) $ 250

Got an airline gig.... the only reason Im selling them

PM me if anybody interested

can arrange postage:ok:

PA39
9th Jun 2007, 06:33
David Clark 13S. Same as the 13.4 with stereo switching.

Mark1234
13th Jun 2007, 00:17
tipan13 - you have a PM....

roxi
13th Jun 2007, 14:10
Has anybody used the new sennheiser HMEC460's yet. I was going to buy a new set of bose headsets last week buy someone has suggested these.. Anybody use them?

Many thanks

vrd
14th Jun 2007, 04:45
I have a set of Bose x headsets for sale .Only used for 6 months and have recently moved to a major airline so no longer required. If anyone is interested please message me.

Msjj
14th Jun 2007, 23:51
I have had my DC 10-60 for 17 years.

Have only replaced the original foam ear seals to the gel type.

The headpad lost its comfort factor this year. A new one was approx $50....
As a poor but resourceful GA pilot, I improvised by wrapping a black sock around the old pad and tied it up with a hair band. As good as new.

Bendo
24th Jun 2007, 09:34
Come off it JJ, anyone shacked up with a QF driver could afford to replace it with a genuine DC headpad! :E

Launchpad McQuack
24th Jun 2007, 10:30
If anybody is interested in a pair (brand new) for around $900 then let me know...I have a set that is surplus to requirements :}

rotcivtolip
25th Jun 2007, 12:25
My first headset was H10-60's. I used them all the way to CPL and can't say a bad word about them. Then, I decided to try some ANR headsets.

First I got some Lightspeed 20k's, they were OK, but nothing special. Very bulky!

I sold them and bought the Lightspeed QFR XC's. They hardly worked and the ear seals are very hard.

So I finally decided to get the Bose X, and they are BY FAR the best headset (and most expensive :}).

Extremely comfortable, great ANR, great battery life, great headset!

I kept my H10-60's as a backup and will never get rid of them. :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Jun 2007, 13:02
I bought my DC H10-30s in 1984 - they were my pride and joy for the next 15+ years! Still giving stirling service as back-up - currently back in service (see below).

.... then I discover ENC with a pair of DC H20-10s - wonderful! Can't imagine flying without them.

.... unfortunately one of the leads had an accident in the door of the Bo, so the H20-10s are off for repairs.

I've just bought the DC X-11, so I'll let you know.

Somehow Bose just don't fit the fantasy like David Clarks!

Dr:cool:

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jun 2007, 10:39
"I've just bought the DC X-11, so I'll let you know."

Took the DC X-11s for a lap in the Bo up to YATN today.

First impression - bit ah ah ah what's the word I am looking for ..... crappy compared to the H20-10s. Bit of a toy compared to a real man's head set.

But
.... lighter than the H20-10s
.... more comfy than the H20-10s
.... at least as quiet as the H20-10s - maybe even quieter - but the Bo sounds different!
.... excellent clarity
.... I like the smart power thing that turns it off if you forget - cause I am always running the batteries out in the H20-10s
.... phone interface seems to work well

all up - 9 outta 10! I am not unhappy with my purchase.

How do they compare with Bose ???

B*ggered if I know! But at least they don't look like I pinched them from the home stereo!

squawk6969
28th Jun 2007, 10:51
Well Don't jam the lead in the door with this set!:E

OK blame me, I pinched ya LHS.......spose the bill is on its way!:eek:

I use the DC13.4's, can not complain although the ANR's would be nice. The jabawocky is not that noisy!

SQ

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jun 2007, 11:15
"OK blame me, I pinched ya LHS.......spose the bill is on its way!:eek:"

Heya Squarky!

Nah, I'm holding off on sending you the bill. Did 3 greasers in the Bo today. Only taken me 400+ landings to get the hang of it.

Musta been your demo that did the trick!

squawk6969
28th Jun 2007, 11:31
in your business you should be aware of this...........

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear"

If only I could ay it were true:E

I am glad to hear it. That plane needed teaching a lesson. It must have felt after the one at LRE(me) and AMBO(you) that if it did not "straighten up and fly right" it might get a few more of those other arrival types!:}

SQ:ok:

Mecarsa Bitrusty
2nd Jul 2007, 14:26
I have been using the DC 13.4 for years now and they hasn’t missed a beat, although I think its time for an upgrade as I can’t hear S#*T anymore. Nothing against the head set its self, its more the noisy motor things bolted to the wings, you know the ones with the big fans! Time for a nice set of NC’s

Reverseflowkeroburna
3rd Jul 2007, 05:49
Have any of you guys noticed any difference in battery life between aircraft types?
How does the life of the rechargeables compare to their single-use alkaline (1.5V) counterparts?
How well do your rechargeables retain their charge whilst stored/you are enjoying those elusive days off?
Whilst I've only just started recording their performance in earnest, the 1.2V, 2500mAh NiMH jobs are only lasting 10-15 hrs/3-10 days.
This is using x-11's in GA turboprop types.
Any thoughts and/or experiences folks??
RFKB

Supermattt
4th Jul 2007, 12:10
Hi everyone,

Any ideas on where one could pick up a second hand headsets apart from, here EBay, Gumtree, or Amazon?

I've been scouring those but keep deciding a used pair for not-that-much-less that a new pair isn't worth it. I'm just wondering if there is some marketplace for headsets that I haven't tapped into yet.

Thanks very much
Matt

ForkTailedDrKiller
20th Jul 2007, 07:22
I can now confirm with some authority that in the V35B at least, the noise attenuation of the DC X-11 is not a patch on the DC H20-10.

The moblie phone interface, at least with my phone, crackles away when not in use - very annoying.

Its light! Its comfortable! It folds up kinda cute!

But I will go back to the DC H20-10 as soon as it comes back from the repair shop.

DC X-11? Bit disappointing IMHO. Maybe I shoulda bought a Bose

Dr :cool:

werbil
29th Jul 2007, 05:25
I tried some DC X-11's in a DHC-2 the other day. Very dissapointing - all the ENC seemed to do was take the supercharger growl away, and it didn't seem any quieter than the set of DCs I normally use. Voice and radio quality was excellent though.

W

morno
29th Jul 2007, 06:55
I recently started using the Bose ANR headset, and have nothing but good to say about them.

Initial thoughts were that they wouldn't match up to the DC's because of their lightweight design. However, have been proven wrong. You can fly for hours, without your head feeling like it's been between a vice with 20kg's of weights stacked on top of your head.

Battery life is about 100 times better than the DC's as well. The 9V battery in the DC's used to last maybe 20hrs at the most. The 2 AA batteries in the DC's have just run out on me, after I changed them about 70hrs ago.

Certainly a lot cheaper on the pocket after the initial outlay!

Thumbs up to the Bose from me, :ok:

morno

Nikai
29th Jul 2007, 08:24
Bose ANR without question. (Would be interested to see a poll with Bose included, surely they deserve a category of their own?) Have had mine for about 5 months and love them. They're worth the extra expense, you get what you pay for so its worth the extra investment.

MikeJulietHotel
29th Jul 2007, 08:30
I note the Forked Tailed Dr's comment about the DC X-11 not cutting out the noise. It's the same for all of the "designer" ANR headsets - Bose, DC, whatever. If you ask the manufacturer what the passive attenuation is they say "we don't publish it". As I understand it the passive for the DC X-11 is 17dB which is not enough for anybody who respects their hearing. The ANR only deals with LF noise so you are left hearing all the HF noise and much of the non-regular LF.

I don't believe that any of the carbon fibre, phone interface, MP3 life supporting headsets give proper hearing protection.

On the other hand try a set of DC H10-56HXL - the quietest headset you will ever find without the ANR turned on and truly amazing with it turned on. It has 27dB of passive and another 22 or 23dB of ANR. And never mind the weight my very lightweight daughter wears a set for extended periods no worries.

If you want a phone or MP3 interface then get a Flightcell.

Look after your hearing.

MJH

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Jul 2007, 09:58
I have taken to wearing ear plugs under the DC X-11's to get the noise attenuation to a similar level as my DC H20-10 headset.

Can't wait for the DC H20-10s to come back from the repair shop.

Dr :cool:

HappyJack260
31st Jul 2007, 21:16
Just tried Bose ANR in the Pitts - not very impressed - lots of hiss not controllable with any adjustment I could find. I'm sticking with my Campbell Aeroclassics helmet. The owner of the Bose headset, who also flies the Pitts, confirmed it wasn't that effective in really noisy cockpits, like the Pitts.

slackie
2nd Aug 2007, 23:09
I use an ANR equipped Gentex HGU55 that works well in the Pitts...it does at times (usually takeoff roll) hiss a little, but that could also be due to the crappy intercom we have. Mind you - to rock up to your trusty C172 or commuter cockpit wearing the helmet might generate some "adverse comments".

777WakeTurbz
3rd Aug 2007, 00:30
Id like to hear from people what they are actually flying when using the different type of sets, i can beleive that ANR would have difficulty keeping up with very noisy environments like the pitts.

I borrowed a pilots Bose headset to see how good they were when flying with him in his Warrior, and found it disappointing to say the least, i expected much better reduction, the constant hiss was almost as bad as the engine noise and with the ANR turned off it actually amplified the engine noise! :ugh:
Which in a way made the ANR seem better when it went on!

Doing stints of sometimes up to 8 hours in a day in some light twin engine aircraft i dont really find my DC13.4s tiring to wear as some pilots point out, so i cant find a real justifiable reason to upgrade.

Would appreciate any further comments...

Cheers
Turbz :cool:

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Aug 2007, 00:46
Turbz

All of my posts above relate to the Fork-tailed Doctor Killer (BE35)!

Dr

VH-BOX
3rd Aug 2007, 02:07
"Id like to hear from people what they are actually flying when using the different type of sets, i can beleive that ANR would have difficulty keeping up with very noisy environments like the pitts."

I do a lot of low-level stuff, and wear an old ex-USAF helmet re-wired with Dave Clark internals, and that is what I used in the Pitts. This is a very old helmet, and quite heavy, so I am considering upgrading to a CGF Gallet helmet. Has anybody got any feedback on the Gallet helmets?

I have found ANR headsets to be fairly useless in very noisy open cockpit environments, they are designed to cancel a fairly specific range of frequencies in a typical cockpit, and don't do much for wind noise or 'raw' engine noise. I have found that passive units fitted with the Oregon Aero 'Mic Muff' work better than ANR units in these applications. It is important that if two headsets are in use that both have these fitted, or you lose the benefit. I'm not actually sure how they work, but they do work.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p62_2001.html#micmuff

Cloud Basher
3rd Aug 2007, 09:17
I finished installing the ANR DIY kit in my H10-13.4's. Doing five flights in the Pitts tomorrow so will see if it makes much of a difference. I did plug them in to make sure they work and they immediately cancelled out ALL the noise in the hangar. However the intercom was a little more tinny or artificial in its sound.

If these don't work to well then I will drop the coin for a set of Bose. I have used a set of Bose previously in the Pitts and they seemed to work very well for me. Go figure... Just trying to save myself $1250 by trying out the ANR kit for the 13.4's first. If it doesn't work to well I guess I will always have an ANR set for my Pax...

Cheers
CB

Mr Bomb
12th Aug 2007, 05:59
I previously used DC 13.4's but have recently upgraded to Bose Aviation Headset X. I have to say the change is amazing and it has worked in all cockpits I have flow in. It has even worked in a Pitts (2 flights with the Bose now) and is much quiter than the 13.4's previously used. Plus they are ultra comfortable and I am not dissapointed in having paid the rather high price for them.

Cheers
Mr Bomb

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Sep 2007, 14:28
VH-BOX,

I used a Gallet for about 2 years, it was the best helmet i have used in all respects, do not use a helmet now ( flying passengers ), but if i did i would buy a Gallet without question.

The visors with the grey lense are fantastic, the ANR is as good if not better than my X-11's, the helmet is padded fit, so not strap pressure points.

Comes with oxygen mask receiver and single or dual visor.

A friend rolled up a crop duster ( powerline ), walked away from it ( no more retarded than before the accident :)), the helmets took a hammering and was in a few bits post crash, i would suggest the helmets did its job perfectly.

Have used a couple of variants of the Gentex, too heavy, straps sucked.

QFF
26th Sep 2007, 06:45
Used DC 10-20's, 13.4, then 13.4XL on various piston & turbine types for about 15yrs, then switched a couple of years ago to Quiet Technologies PNR in-ear headset.

Noise reduction as good as the ANR on the 13.4XL, but feels light as a feather, almost like not wearing a headset at all. I use the ear-plug foam inserts, although you can get custom moulds for a closer fit.

Biggest bugbear is getting the mic to stay close to the mouth, but am still getting the hang of it.

Duff Shark
29th Sep 2007, 00:53
i bought a set of DC X11's, finally upgraded the 13.4's after 3 years hard time in the bush,

* for feel and comfort the X11's are great, the ear seals are directional so they fit with a good seal, they fold up small, seem a little fragile tho.
* the ANR is OK to be honest i was a little disappointed at first, then mine developed an annoying 'buzz/crackle' at low rpm in the twin and i had to return them. DC service was great they sent me a new set in a few weeks. It was not till i went back to the 13.4, that i really appreciated them, i do long sectors 6/7 hours a day normally and i feel alot less fatigued at the end of the day with the x11's.
* the MP3 attachment is great for long boring sectors

My 2cents

DS

NNB
8th Oct 2007, 01:16
even with "all the new" versions and mode3ls of headsets that are on the market, I wonder why the majority of working pilots seem to seek out and use DC H10-40's ... ??
perhaps it is that they just keep on providing good functional service.
no I do not work for the company nor sell them...!!!
blue ones folks...:ok:

Reverseflowkeroburna
8th Oct 2007, 05:01
NNB.........that is just one of the reasons I selected the X-11.

The last green headset served me for 10 years with only one minor plug repair needed.

Now I just have to get me an iPod. :ok:

Magarnagle
8th Oct 2007, 05:48
I just got myself a Lightspeed 30-3G headset. While on paper it compares pretty well with the Bose (in some frequencies it provides slightly better protection), its strength is in its passive protection.

It's a chunky piece of work, not as slick as the Bose, but that's because it provides decent passive protection (better than most purely passive headsets), as well as ANR.

It has the ability to accept mobile phones, as well as CD/MP3 players. When a radio call kicks in, the headset attenuates the volume of the phone/CD/MP3 player.

I haven't used that feature yet, but I've found the ANR to be brilliant. You can still hear the engine noise, but at a much reduced volume. You can still hear enough to be able to feel out any potential problems.

The passive protection is pretty good too, as good as my old passive DCs (like wearing a Meccano set over my ears), but much more comfortable.

Lightspeed are putting out their answer to the Bose as well. I can't remember offhand what the model is called, but it's clearly designed to tap into the Bose market (it looks pretty similar).

At under half the price (I think they were around US$550 +p/p from the States), I reckon the 30-3G is as good as the Bose. The only downsides are the size (no big deal if you don't mind looking a bit like Mickey Mouse), and the plastic construction (I'm not planning on swinging it around my head by the cord, and bouncing it off brick walls).

Lightspeed offer a 5 yr warranty, but through the research I did before I bought them, there were plenty of pilots saying that Lightspeed accepted warranty jobs after the 5 years had run out, and were pretty happy with the service (headbands, ear seals etc. replaced for free, as well as repairing the initial problems).

I'm pretty happy with them so far.:ok:

werbil
25th Oct 2007, 14:10
I use Telex Stratus D 50's - they work extremely well in a noisy cockpit (radial engined Beaver) - 29dB passive reduction plus ANR. I was originally going to buy a set of DC X11's, but after borrowing a set I decided to do some more research and I am very glad that I did.

aero junkie
27th Oct 2007, 20:16
I'm looking at spending some $$$ on a new headset. I see the DC 13.4 seems a popular headset, how well does it compare to the Pilot PA18-50 ANR headset? Is ANR the way to go?

vrd
27th Oct 2007, 23:51
Hi
I have a set of BOSE x headsets for sale if you are interested. Only used for 6 months in as new cond. PM me if you are interested...

aero junkie
28th Oct 2007, 00:24
I think a BOSE X headset is a little out of my league sorry, unless you want $600 for it :}:E

3-8-Echo
29th Oct 2007, 11:38
Chalk another one up for the 13.4, its well and truly good enough for my purposes.

Results may vary
5th Nov 2007, 05:44
Hi,
Has anyone got any problems with the DC X11 ?
Im 99% sure on buying one, apparently you can plug your i-pod into them or your cell phone, anyone know which cell phones fit ?

I have demo-ed a BOSE set and was very impressed but the DC X11 is about 1hr flying time cheaper, and I have been told they are good too.

Any feed back ?

Cheers
X :ok:

WagonCpt
7th Nov 2007, 00:37
I flew for 10 years with a trusty DC H10-13.4 and it served me well, until I started driving a 402 on long legs and going to bed with ringing in my ears.

ANR is the only way to go, after extensive research I settled on the Telex 50 D and love it! A mate I fly with got the DC X11 and after trying my headset is trying so send his back and get a telex.

Hope this helps :ok:

Results may vary
7th Nov 2007, 07:53
Hi,
Was that the Telex Stratus 50-D with patented Comfort Cam™ ????

Ive never even heard of this brand, how much and where from ?

Cheers
X

werbil
7th Nov 2007, 21:59
Telex are hard to get hold of in Aus - and expensive compared to importing direct from overseas. One of the companies the Australian distributor referred me to never returned my call with a price, the other tried to talk me into the Bose. :ugh::ugh::ugh: All were talking about 4 - 5 weeks lead time, and the best price I was offered was $1199 + GST + delivery.

I ended up purchasing my D50's from Aircraft Spruce in the US. I think I paid $671US about a month ago (wish I'd waited another few weeks) for the headset and the freight was about $60US (FedEx economy) which took just over a week to get to me.

Yes, the Telex Stratus D50's have the patented comfort cam - as I fly radials regularly I leave them on full tension, yet they are still very comfortable to wear. I have only ever worn DC's (including the X11's) and some of the cheapies, and none of them even comes close in terms of noise attenuation of the Telex. Even with the ANR off they perform very well - better than some of the DC's.:ok:

The D50 also has a cell phone and a separate MP3 player interface. :ok: Unlike the X11's their is no automatic mute when radio tx are received (there is a manual switch).:{

W

PS If you order a set from Aircraft Spruce, make sure the delivery address you use is the physical address notified to your credit card supplier. They will only deliver to that address.

PilotHTR
8th Nov 2007, 01:02
Werbil,
I'm interested in your radial flying...I'm in a similar situation and find that although the BOSE are good in a cabin-class aircraft, they simply lack the passive capacity to offer much benefit in a radial. I have a Campbell Aero Classics setup but find it a bit confining.

Are the Telex really a lot better in our situation?, b/c I sure need something better than the BOSE. The new Lightspeed ZULU looks promising too.

PHTR

Results may vary
8th Nov 2007, 02:36
It looks like the Down under pilot shop has the Telex Stratus 50 Digital ANR Headset (http://www.downunderpilotshop.com.au/product.php?productid=327&cat=0&page=1) for $1155 on their website. Id like to have a go with a demo one if anyone knows who has them.

X

werbil
8th Nov 2007, 10:57
PHTR,

Unfortunately I've never used the Bose so I can't compare.

I can compare with the DC X11's - I was about to buy a set, borrowed a mates and used them in a Beaver - I was very disappointed and when I swapped in flight between them (even with the ANR on) and some passive DC's (10-20's I think) and I honestly couldn't say if they were any quieter. The Telex are a different story, in the DHC-2 they take out most of the engine noise including the supercharger howl leaving mainly high frequency wind noise.

After a day in the Beaver now my hearing appears to be unaffected, unlike when using passive headsets when I can definintely notice some effects. I was a bit apprehensive when I ordered the D50's without trying them on or speaking to people who had used them (they were recomended by a number of pilots on the DHC-2 forum), but I would definitely buy another set again. Some of the other guys at work have tried them and they were very impressed too.

W

PilotHTR
9th Nov 2007, 01:30
Werbil,
Thanks for that. Exactly what I was after. Think I'll try and find me a pair of the 50-D's
Regards
PHTR

werbil
9th Nov 2007, 08:44
You're welcome. :ok:

TimmyB
10th Nov 2007, 10:21
The Telex seem to be a very reputable headset. Made in the US and Telex seem to have a $50USD rebate going (not sure if its available for Oz customers though - I might shoot them an email).

There is also a 30XT version of the Stratus series (has the features of the 50-D except for the Electronic Noise Reduction) for $200 cheaper however it does not appear to be available in Oz (there is is 30 non XT however it does not have the features available on the 50-D as I think its an older model).

Some interesting comparisons between the ANR headsets that i've come across (worth a read if your looking at buying):

- http://www.audacitymodels.com/whitepapers/headsets.pdf (detailed comparison)
- http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/9003-headsets.html (in particular a v.good post half way down page)
- http://www.matronics.com/archive/archive-get.cgi?RV-Archive.digest.vol-pf (you will need to CTRL-F to find the term "telex" as posts seems to be all over the place, however it offers some more comparisons)

Looks like there will be some interesting headset features coming out in the next few years. Wireless headsets using Bluetooth to remove the wires being one.

Cheers

Tim

empacher48
15th Nov 2007, 21:31
I have just trialled a pair of DC X11's, our work got some down for a trial for us. (Flew the GA8 with them).

Overall the ENR wasn't all that impressive, I think if you were able to clamp them a little tighter to your head, they would be better. BUT the clairty you get from the headphones, and the mic clarity on the PA is amazing.

We also got a set of H10-13X ENRs down as well, but the speaker/mic combination isn't as good as the X11s..

I would love to try the Bose soon.

Results may vary
15th Nov 2007, 23:09
The bose are quite nice. They have a few demo sets where im training at the mo, I took one on a 3.3hr xcountry the other day and my head felt alot better afterwards than with a standard DC headset. I havent tried the X11 yet but from what im hearing here im not missing much. Im pretty keen on the Telex set which I am waiting to arrive at my local pilot shop, they are ment to reduce noise by about 50db which would be amazing ! :ok:

X

TinDriver
17th Nov 2007, 02:04
Gotta agree with Werbil; had my D50's now for just on 6 months. Many of the other lads have the Bose, which certainly are a great headset, but perform way below the D50's. Just the other day, I swapped for a Bose and was glad to have mine back at the end of the sector. Also like the fact an Ipod/phone can be plugged straight in (unfortunately doesnt have the RX cutout like Werbil mentioned)

On top of that, for the last 4 years, I have noticed many guys having to send their Bose headsets back to get repaired (cracks appear in the frame).

At the end of the day, Telex IMHO offer a superior product at a cheaper price:ok:

archangel7
17th Nov 2007, 06:02
I was in the market for new headsets and decided to go for the BOSE X and I think they are amazing I feel no regret for spending the money. They sit beautifully and after 4 hours of flying you forget that your wearing them. No difference with sunglasses on and they will not reck your hairstyle either:). I trialled the X11 and they don’t compare at all with the BOSE X. apart from the fact that the x11's have mobile phone and auxiliary music input. That didn’t tickle my fancy at all, why would you want to be listening to music or chatting to your girlfriend on the phone when you should be concentrating on flying the aeroplane...??:ouch:

mr.cyclopede
18th Nov 2007, 21:30
Oriented to buy an ANR, my hesitation is beetween Stratus 50D, Bose X and X11
My main care is for the Active & passive reduction while wearing sunglasses. I fly in mountain region, so have a pair of very envelopping Vuarnet ones,that have a high protection index, but also wide branches.
Heard the poor performances of the x11 with sunglasses, what about the D50 in that case ?
Less important, but still for safety, is it true that there is no automatical MP3/cell phone swtich off when radio transmission on the D50? I would appreciate to connect my Ipod during long flights, but I'm not sure you won't miss parts of communication if there's only a manual switch...

werbil
22nd Nov 2007, 21:24
With the D50's I only notice a slight difference in high frequency wind noise with sunglasses and hat on compared with sunglasses and hat off - engine noise seems unaffected.

There is no automatic mute on the D50s - it has a manual switch where the cables join about 250mm from the plugs. I have not used it yet as I need to make an adapter for my phone (it has a non standard plugs).

W

Results may vary
23rd Nov 2007, 05:04
Hi W,
I picked up my 50D's yesterday but havent tried them in a plane yet. Does an i-pod only work with them if they are plugged in to an aircraft aswell ?

Cheers
X

PilotHTR
24th Nov 2007, 11:53
Tried my new Telex 50-D's for the first time today - during a formation display with 2 other very noisy warbirds.........
........Wow!.........
Had used Bose X up until now - great ANR but next-to-useless PNR. The Bose were fine in a cabin twin/single but as the majority of my flying is in largish radials I was getting quite fatigued on longer trips using the Bose.
The 50-D's have solved the problem. Their PNR alone is better than the Bose WITH ANR, and with the Telex ANR enabled the thump of the engine is reduced to sound of a Diesel BMW X5 at idle! I swear I can hear the prop tips in the airflow. They are bulky but very comfortable and the sunglasses have no detriment on their efficacy.
In conclusion - whilst the Bose are comfy, light and effective in most aircraft - if you really value your hearing, go the Telex.

OH-and XFUELLY - yep - the aux inputs only work when the headsets are plugged into your IC circuit. Some folks have complained about the lack of an auto-mute. A fair point, but not one that bothers me. I prefer the radio chatter to music - amazing what little gems you can pick up from time to time

TinDriver
24th Nov 2007, 19:21
Finally someone has seen the light and gone for the D50's: PilotHTR, you will really enjoy using them. Gotta agree that they are a bit bulky, and that the auto mute isn't available, but overall, a better product. Congrats on your purchase.

mr.cyclopede
24th Nov 2007, 21:08
Well..Seems I'm heading also for the 50D.

I received yesterday an answer from Telex about why they did not put an auto switch for the Aux. They say it's because pilots volontary asked them to, beeing afraid to be diverted by such music or phone calls...

For sure I won't use this kind of gadget in a TMA or in a traffic pattern, if this one can be used it's in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately there are a lot of such places around the world.

Results may vary
26th Nov 2007, 07:13
I tried out my new 50D's yesterday, and I can confirm that this is a great product. I fly Piper Warriors at the mo and although they arnt the loudest aircraft in the world I still noticed a real difference compaired to any other headset i have used in them before. As pointed out by someone above they are very bulky to look at but when you have them on they dont feel bulky, they are surprisingly light and very comfy. I havent tried the ipod jack yet, but might plug it in on a long X counrty someday. Highly recommend and for anyone interested, I got them for $1100 AUD in Australia. :ok:

Cheers X

Results may vary
3rd Dec 2007, 22:53
Does anyone know what type of cell phones fit the adaptor on the 50D's ????

Cheers
X :confused:

Zhaadum
4th Dec 2007, 10:18
I just bought a set of BOSE and I must say they are excellent!

Much better than my H10-13.4 with an aftermarket ANR kit.

The BOSE are so light and the clarity is excellent.

Z.:ok:

WannaBeBiggles
10th Dec 2007, 08:33
I bought a pair of BOSE X's too and must say I LOVE them! However I have to admit I have not tried to Zulu's or D50's.

ChrisDavis
10th Dec 2007, 09:08
I've been using the new Lightspeed ZULU for the past few weeks, must say it is an excellent headset. Great ANR performance, battery life is good and the bluetooth function works really well.
Any one else using these at the moment? :ok:

ChrisDavis
12th Dec 2007, 05:08
Owen,

I've tried the Bose and i'd say the ZULU's are as good if not better. Only major difference i found was the ZULU's were a little heavier. Audio quality is excellent as far as radio / phone calls go. Haven't tried the ipod yet but there is plenty of settings to play with to adjust the quality etc.

Jerry Springer
12th Dec 2007, 14:15
Bose is the most comfortable headset I have used.

Not only that, I needed some repair work on my set which are out of warranty. I sent them into Bose Australia for a quote, which was close to a grad! I said I only wanted them fixed and usable, and there was no need to fix them as good as new, as I did not want to pay for that...Bose then informed me they did not like to send back anything less than a perfect set, and they they had already completely overhauled them, and were sending them back free charge!:)

Very impressive, for as I said, they were out or warranty! I wont buy or recommend anything other than Bose now....They are worth every cent, and indeed more!

TinDriver
13th Dec 2007, 00:23
Damn shame you even had to send them in for repairs Jerry! Was it the headband cracking? Have several mates who have had that problem.
Not had any need, nor have I heard of ppl sending the Zulus or D50's in for repair yet, but as long as your happy to be without them for a few days/weeks and have them repaired for free makes perfect sense to me:confused:

Jerry Springer
13th Dec 2007, 07:27
Yes Tin Driver, it was a shame i had to send them in....

I should have explained that a useless avionics fella in SE Asia massacered them on me whilst attempting to the Bose plug to the normal GA plug...Until then they worked perfectly, with no cracking anywhere...they just were looking a little old, but not even so bad at that...Basically Bose repaired the damage done by an idiot avionics fella, and they gave me the Bose/GA plug converter, and they upgraded the noise cancelling system for me, and plus they replaced cosmetic items (ear cups)....all free of charge....

Like I said, unreal, considering they were not under warranty, plus the reason the reason for repairs being needed was not due to any fault developing within the headset...

To be honest, I dont get the point of the Bose plug rather than the GA one, but you can just bye the GA one rather than the Bose plug anyhow, or get a converter if you need one. I had the Bose plug as the headset came with an a/c I had, setup with the bose plug....

Results may vary
24th Dec 2007, 07:16
So, does anyone know what type of cell phones plug into the 50D's ?????
Cheers X :ok:

Cap'n Arrr
28th Dec 2007, 08:13
Another thumbs up (:ok:) for the Bose. Awesome product.

WannaBeBiggles
28th Dec 2007, 23:31
Just out of curiosity, do any Bose owners use aftermarket Phone and (especially) MP3 connectors?

Also, for those who use mobile phones with your headset, doesn't the "dat dat dat" annoy the living :mad: out of you!?!?
I know it annoys me to no end if someone leaves their phone on when I told them to turn the friggin thing off on the ground!

tcross
8th Jan 2008, 10:18
just picked up my new shiny Zulu today, plugged directly into laptop and wow. cant wait to get out and use it. bought from ozpilot.com.au went to thier office and tried on everything adn settled for this

youngmic
9th Jan 2008, 05:10
Lightspeed Zulu :ok::

These new Zulu's from Lightspeed may well outclass the DC and Bose equivalents.

Seems they've put a lot of effort into building a winning headset.

Fantastic stereo audio with FRC (Front Row Centre) enhancement switch, Bluetooth, + plug in option with 2 leads supplied, auto mute switch for the audio, bass and treble boost, mic gain adjustment, small and sturdy carry case, same ear-cup seals as Bose, light, strong, 5yr warranty and a couple of hundred cheaper than Bose.

Maybe to much gadgetry and switches for longevity though, time will tell.

BUT no user manual or instructions of any kind not even on the box, no information available from their web site, and several emails over two weeks to the service desk and the poor simple lass still couldn't grasp the concept that she needed to email me the user manual. Eventually rang and spoke to a bloke who sent it through in 30 minutes.

vintagewizard
9th Jan 2008, 08:35
I Had A Bose, It Was Always Breaking, When I Sent It In For Repair It Had Dry Joints! And Was Going To Cost £85 As It Was Out Of Warrenty. Asked Them To Send It Back And Was Given A Pooleys Anr Set..brill...wouldn't Look Back!

tcross
9th Jan 2008, 19:18
when was buying mine, harry who runs ozpilot site printed mine off for me as he was sent them that day which was really good of him.

RadioSaigon
20th Jan 2008, 04:30
This is turning into a truly useful thread! Well done all ;)

I've been researching ANR headsets for quite a while now, whilst still using the trusty 'ol DC H-10-60's. The Bose and X-11's have been getting serious consideration, but comments by other posters re the weaknesses apparent in these headsets have caused me a more 'wait-and-see' attitude.

Glad I did.

From what I can see, the Lightspeed Zulu is streets ahead! (btw: the user manual is now available here). Those of you that are using the Zulu; anything further to add? I'm pretty close to giving these the nod, would just appreciate any further input. (http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/PDF/ZuluUG_online.pdf)

airmuster
20th Jan 2008, 06:37
My wife and I have a collection of headsets. She mainly uses the 13.4's but I have an old set of Soft Comms with DC ear/head cushions which I find as good as the DC's and damn site cheaper.
I am constantly on the R/T with talking to ground crew (stockmen) and have them hooked up to the radio interface and impedance matching gizzmo for the private VHF comms.

Have an old set of Telex's and a DCNC ANR set which are awfully heavy.

youngmic
20th Jan 2008, 12:49
Lightspeed Zulus

30 hours on them now and still impressed.

Phone voice quality is reported as being excellent with more than one caller claiming they cannot hear any background noise at all.

Oddly though there is no side-tone through the headphones when on the phone, not the end of the world though and I'll email Lightspeed to see if this is normal.

HardCorePawn
20th Jan 2008, 21:23
Oddly though there is no side-tone through the headphones when on the phone, not the end of the world though and I'll email Lightspeed to see if this is normal.

That will be due to the fact that cellphones do not produce an adequate side-tone (if at all)...

This is also believed to be why anyone using one seems to shout into them! :rolleyes: :ugh: :mad:

TimmyB
21st Jan 2008, 01:00
Placed an order for the Lightspeed Zulu headset on Thursday from a US based pilot store pilotmall.com for under $1000AUD including Express postage. I am always pretty cautious about ordering items of this value overseas, however I have been extremely impressed by their level of communications and service.

I have been researching ANR headsets for several months now, reading as many reviews, forums and magazines as possible comparing the available headsets including the DC X-11, Bose X, Telex 30 and Telex 50D. I had narrowed it down to the Telex 50D up until two weeks ago because of their very good ANR specs and a very good price ($750AUD with a $50USD rebate). Then I heard about the LS Zulu and both the specs, features and price make it a very impressive headset. A reviews is also available on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVdAlY7z2M (http://airportpilotshop.*************/2007/09/lightspeed-zulu-headset-review.html)

Obviously comfort comparison is something that cannot be decided by reading other people's reviews, however there was a majority of the reviews indicating that the Zulu was more comfortable than the Telex 50D and nearly equal to the Bose X comfort level. So yes, I was making a risk not being able to try on either the LS Zulu or Telex 50D (as I had tried on my instructor's Bose X).

I emailed Dave from airportpilotshop.com who did the review of the LS Zulu online about both the Telex 50D vs Lightspeed Zulu and his response was very helpful:

Comparison of the Zulu and 50D:
In average aircraft such as a Cessna 172, the Zulu and the 50D have comparable ANR performance. The 50D is a little quieter in very loud aircraft like a 1960s Mooney or an old Aztec but not by that large of a margin. And the 50D is a much bulkier and heavier headset than the Zulu. The Zulu is very light, and very comfortable. Both headsets have music and cell phone interface although the Zulu has the Bluetooth interface which eliminates the need for a cable to connect your phone to the headset. The audio on the Zulu also have the front row center feature that enhances the quality of the music. It also has Comm Priority so you can choose whether or not you want Air Traffic Control to mute the music.
My customer's have been very impressed by the design and performance of the Zulu and our sales have reflected that. In addition I have not had one complaint about the Zulu yet and I have been shipping them since October.
This also seemed to agree with the view on other forums that the Telex 50D is ideal for noisier aircraft like DHC Beaver, etc or for regular aerobatics pilots. Personally I am flying training a/c (for the moment ;)) so the combination of the Zulu's comfort and features grabbed my attention. I couldn't really justify another $500AUD for the Bose X for slightly better comfort and less features (even with the free Garmin GPS). I will admit however the level of Bose X service in Australia appears to be exceptional, with an Australian Call centre with warranty/returns tracking as one of the phone menu selection options. The same however cannot be said for either Telex or Lightspeed, none having Australian support or sales phone numbers listed. Obviously that is a risk that I take, however taking into the account the cost difference between the Lightspeed Zulu and Bose X, even if I do have to pay for postage back to the US for warranty on the Zulu, I am still ahead with cost savings.

I should be receiving the Lightspeed Zulu this week or next week (depending upon Customs), so it will be interesting to personally compare my LS Zulu with my instructors Bose X in terms of build quality, comfort, features, speaker and mic quality, etc.

Cheers

Tim

werbil
26th Jan 2008, 20:48
I have now tried the Bose, the DC X11's as well as the Telex D50's that I own.

In a noisy aircraft (Beaver with a radial engine) the D50's provide the best noise attenuation by far. The ANR in the Bose seems to better than the ANR in the DC's, but with the Bose switched off you get very little attenuation.

Both the DC's & Bose are a lot lighter than the Telex. I find the Telex to be very comfortable even in tropical low 30's temperatures, however the longest I tend to fly is only about an hour and a half at a time. I can't comment on how comfortable the DC's & Bose are for extended periods as I end up putting the Telex straight back on.

W

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Feb 2008, 23:55
"I can't comment on how comfortable the DC's & Bose are for extended periods"

Having worn my DC X-11s for 9.5 hrs Townsville - Broome in a day, I can vouch for their comfort!

Dr :8

werbil
8th Feb 2008, 12:22
FTDK,

Are you still using the H20-10's in the Bo or has the comfort of the X11's overcome the better noise attenuation of the 20's?

Werbil

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Feb 2008, 10:23
Werbil

Still wearing the X-11s.

Would you believe I only sent the H20-10s away yesterday to be repaired after Jaba wrecked the cord back in June last year.

Jabawocky
13th Feb 2008, 23:31
Nope...........I was in da left seat........and Forkie closed the door RHS on the cable..........:D

But I guess I will take the blame:{ If I wasn't in the left seat.....he wouldn't have been in the right:hmm:

J:ok:

nomorecatering
14th Feb 2008, 07:23
I;VE BEEN USING dc h10-13.4 SINCE SEP 2001 and very happy with the, they have never missed a beat and very comfy, even when doing 8 hrs in a day. I use the ear cup socks, much more comfy when u sweat, stops the gel pieces sticking to your skin.

But, I;m wondering do the socks reduce the noise attenuation at all?

ZK-EBC
14th Feb 2008, 11:45
tried the DC X-11s and sent them back after only 1 week, was a big David Clark fan up until this point...for the money they just looked and felt cheap, ANR was dissapointing and battery life poor - went completely flat with little warning. I then took the safe but more expensive option and ordered the Bose. For a long time i looked at the Bose X as being too flashy and more akin to being next to your stereo at home than in a 30 year old cessna! But they have been worth every hard earnt dollar i paid for them, sure theres no inbuilt mobile/ipod connectivity but you can 'build' your own version of that quite easily. 9/10 vers say 7/10 for the DC X-11 in my 2 cent opinion.

Desperate Wannabe
19th Feb 2008, 18:06
Active noise reduction Lightspeed :ok:

SEV
24th Feb 2008, 11:04
Hi Folks!
I have a David Clark H 20-10 XL with ANR (attenuation noise level) with a portable battery FOR SALE! good price!
I bought it 7 months ago in US ,when i was flying a medium turboprop aircraft, and actually I,m flying a jet.
Headsets are unused and with David Clark official box, if anybody interested send me a Private Message.
Cheers!

bcarenton
1st Mar 2008, 11:01
What about the sennheiser HMEC 250, it is also a very cheap alternative. any one can make a quick review?

M14_P
1st Mar 2008, 20:52
Flightcell HD1000C. I'm a bit of a cheap ass, wanted to get something with ANR but didn't want to pay bucket loads...
Just an interesting point I'd make about these headsets, don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem. I had to get mine re-fitted with a metal boom, replacing the flexible one, as there was alot of interference, which, apparently is caused by disturbance from the Antenna. The Pitts being fabric covered doesn't have 'shielding' like metal covered planes do, and with the antenna being about 1ft from my headset, one could hear a highpitched squeal as I transmitted. Pain in the ass, to get the different boom - another $90...should have just got a DC...

lostwingnut
2nd Mar 2008, 10:31
I have an old set of DC's, were given to me 6 years ago. Still work, only just bought a headset bag. Don't even know what type they are, they just work. They have been dropped countless times, kicked, had coke spilled over them, the dog has taken them around the back yard twice, and they still work.

Have tried some of the newer lighter headsets, but I find myself feeling naked. Its weird, but the big bulky green earmuffs just feel right. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

LWC

Maybe its a sign that I'm getting old, or I'm just cheap :)

rexdog
2nd Mar 2008, 21:35
The new Zulu from Lightspeed leaves everything for dead. Top value for money. Blue tooth cell phone or Aux audio interface and superior ANR and comfort

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Mar 2008, 03:22
Hey! I got the DC H20-10X headset that Jaba wrecked last year back from the repair shop today. It will be interesting to compare the top of the DC range ANR headset to the X11's.

PS: Can't complain about the service - repaired under warrantee - but don't tell Jaba!

gadude
4th Mar 2008, 04:26
i got the X11. very nice as long as the pax or other traffic dasnt talk to much because it interfears with my mp3 player lol
$700,- on ebay and near new

Wildduke
4th Mar 2008, 06:23
Thanks for all your input, I just bought myself and a pair of Litespeed Zulu's and am VERY happy with them. I dont use all the bluetooth and aux features. I just wanted something light, comfortable, quiet and reasonably priced. Compared to my old DC 13.4's, I am MUCH happier!!

ranfurly
4th Mar 2008, 06:39
Had Bose x commercial ops since they have come onthe market and can assure you they take the punishment of multi use from medical crew / pilots, and others. Early on had one out of the box which was not good and it was replaced immediately. I have had lightspeeds as well, and while they are good , and the back up service is superb, probably they would need to be as they are just not built for hard knocks and uninformed users who twist the mike boomaround and around etc.
For such a top product , the most disappointing aspect of the Bose are the volume controlwheels and I believe they still havnt fixed the issue. I will not fly at all without my Boses though. ANr the only way to go and I have helped sell many sets through recommendations,

romeocharlie
6th Mar 2008, 00:52
Heard a rumour there's a new bose in the works?

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Mar 2008, 01:21
Hmmmm, I have no idea any more. Sitting in the lounge with the TV up loud, the DC H20-10Xs sh*t on the DC X11s for both passive and active noise cancelling.

I guess in the aeroplane however, we are dealing with difference frequencies.

The X-11s are much lighter than the 20-10s.

Will try them both in the Bo next week!

werbil
6th Mar 2008, 02:12
FTDK - I'm sure that you'll find the H10-20X's will absolutely sh*t all over the X11's in the Bo, even with the ANR off.

I tried a set of Bose in a R985 radial Beaver the other day. Yes, they were nice & light, but they didn't cope well with the noise. My Telex D50's were quieter with the ANR off than the Bose were with the ANR on.

In noisy aircraft I was very disappointed with the performance of the X11's as per my earlier posts. The guy whose X11's I tried wears earplugs under his whilst flying Beavers now.

In a quieter cockpit, such as a Caravan with the front vents closed, the Bose & X11's would be great. Whilst I still fly radials I'm not going to spend around 1k5 on a second headset which I'd only use in quieter aircraft.

"Designer" headsets are not particularly good in "fun aircraft".

W

QSK?
6th Mar 2008, 16:04
Has anyone tried the new Beyerdynamic HS300 headset and, if so, any comments?

Gun_Knutt
7th Mar 2008, 21:54
Lightspeed ANR - the only way to go. Best money I've ever spent. They cut out so much drone that you have to turn down all the comms and you start to here all the little rattles that you never could before. Super light and real comfy. I broke the top head strap (plastic) and itreplaced free of charge by Phil at SpecialFX in NZ. Service from this chappy is awesom. GOOD ANR is a life changing event. BTW the head strap boke after 5 years of harsh outback NT conditions. I was quite surprised at the punishment they could withstand. Just had it serviced by Phil and it's like new again. Had the cellphone/MP3 input added - bloody brilliant.:D

Islander Jock
10th Mar 2008, 07:21
My Bose-X is due for a new pair of ear cushions. Anyone recommend a supplier in Oz?

bluenose99
10th Mar 2008, 11:04
Jock,

Tom at Global in BBN sells the gels, they're best way to go in my opinion.

I have a set of H10-80's that have survived 20+ yrs of abuse with only minor repair. An aftermarket ANR kit a few yrs ago made a world of difference.

Good luck.

Cheers, BN

Jenna Talia
11th Mar 2008, 11:09
IJ,

Contact Rob Elborough at Bose in Sydney on 02-87379999. He will probably send you a pair for nicks. Excellent service.

JT

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Mar 2008, 13:28
Sitting in the lounge with the TV up loud, the DC H20-10Xs sh*t on the DC X11s for both passive and active noise cancelling.

Ditto in the Bonza!

But the X-11s are nicer to wear. Guess that is not much comfort if you go deaf.

Wicked shimmy
13th Mar 2008, 13:31
Can anyone who owns a LS Zulu tell me if the boom can be worn on the right ear? I’m thinking of using one from the RHS and it’s bad manners to wear your boom on the left side.

tcross
14th Mar 2008, 21:19
My bag is in the car, so when i get out there i can check for you, but i am nearly certain that they do not go both ways. also you will have a symmetry problem.

18-Wheeler
17th Mar 2008, 04:44
Does anyone have a good set of DC 13.4's (or something as good) for sale?
Looks like I'm getting back into GA as a retirement job and I sold my old set.
PM me if you want to part with a set please.

JUL
21st Mar 2008, 13:57
Can anyone who owns a LS Zulu tell me if the boom can be worn on the right ear? I’m thinking of using one from the RHS and it’s bad manners to wear your boom on the left side.

They mike won’t even swing all the way around, and it can’t be changed to the other ear. Having said that, I don’t find it a problem at all, but never thought about the manners :rolleyes:.

nightmode
21st Mar 2008, 18:15
Been looking at getting a pair of LS Zulu headsets for a while.
Would any of the owners of Zulu headsets have any feedback on how they have been faring after some use in the field. Is the build quality any good?, are they robust enough for daily use without breaking?

As an aside, been using Telex 50D's for about 800hrs or so and they are great:ok:, only downside is lack of music input and a slightly noisy mic compared to DC's (seem to pickup more background hash)

Wicked shimmy
22nd Mar 2008, 00:01
Thanks JUL, looks like it’ll have to be the Bose then! This whole cockpit etiquette is a real pain! Maybe I’ll just wait for command and buy the Lightspeed then !?!

youngmic
22nd Mar 2008, 02:12
Zulu's

Had a pair of Zulu's since Nov. 07 and about 100 hours use since then.

So far so good.

The build quality looks very good, and perhaps better than any other on the market.

They have a lot of gadgetry in them, mic gain knob on the mic, 6 micro switches in the battery pack for various functions, and 8 other selectors on the outside of the battery pack. So you will need to look after them if you want to avoid problems down the track.

The head band and ear muffs are of the same material as Bose use and being a very light leather/ette? will need replacing in a year or so I'm told, about $50.00 worth.

Had a glitch for the first time this morning with the Bluetooth turning itself off after about 5 mins, the supplied plug in lead bypassed the problem. The problem may well be with my phone (LG TU550) which also went a bit cranky on that flight.

I still continue to be impressed with the sound quality for listening to tunes.

PlankBlender
22nd Mar 2008, 02:42
For anyone considering acquiring a new headset, it might be worthwhile considering in-the-ear type headsets like the Clarity Aloft or the Lightspeed Mach 1. Looks like they're up to the job, with the obvious advantages in comfort. :ok:

More info in this thread: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3994499

romeocharlie
22nd Mar 2008, 09:02
Sorry does anyone else find it offensive that Bose still charge $1500 for their headset, whilst in America they are $1000. Now I'll be the first to admit my maths is pretty average, but with the current Aus dollar, which hasn't dropped below at least .85 for a year or more, the conversion is $1075A with postage and even duty is about $1200A.

Willyboy
30th Mar 2008, 08:41
I tried the Zulu's today in a H300 worked like a charm very nice unit leaning towards it over the bose because of the features and slightly better passive attenuation the bose are a bit lighter though... My current headset is a DC H10-13x

youngmic
30th Mar 2008, 12:09
Willy boy

If your work is such that you can listen to tunes, you'll be blown away with the Zulu's Hi Fi sound. (assuming you haven't yet had the chance)

Willyboy
30th Mar 2008, 13:29
yeah the sound is great I had an ipod attached to it. I didnt get the bluetooth to work with my phone It needs a 5 sec push to get it into sync mode, so I didnt try a call :( but the ipod sounded amazing :)

LJones
7th Apr 2008, 10:03
What would you prefer? LS ZULU, Bose X or top class DC ANR?

Willyboy
8th Apr 2008, 22:19
Hard to say DC H10-13X are no where near as comfy as either bose or zulu but offer great passive reduction. It would be out of zulu and bose and to be honest I'm waiting for bose to return fire and offer a similar product to the zulus with bluetooth etc, because the DC's are ok for the short flights im doing I'll wait. Just go to your local pilot shop most are more than willing to let you take them for a spin ;)

THE ORACLE
26th Apr 2008, 06:58
Has anyone used the new Sennheiser HMEC 250 or 460? If so can you provide the group with any feedback!

LJones
29th Apr 2008, 14:05
hey people, just got my Zulus and i havent triied them in an aircraft yet but i did at home with the stereo on, when i turned the ANR on i heard a hummin and i moved them around my ear it stopped, and sometimes when i move my head it continued. i dont know if these are meant to be like this or not, just wondered if any one knows..

youngmic
29th Apr 2008, 14:50
Ljones

Try fresh batteries.

If you move the ear-cups on your head, squishing them in and out or shake your head violently you send out a pressure wave which the ANR pick up senses as and tries to match. Due to the extreme pressure wave the ANR works overtime and sends out a warbling tone trying to match it. If the batteries are low but not yet indicating low by the alternating green/red flashing LED and blue tooth is selected on it will kick the blue tooth off.

I just re-tried mine as this warbling sound was common when I moved the ear-cups unfortunately I couldn't replicate it, I did note that as I squished the ear-cups the green flashing LED went to green/red flashing indicated that it was drawing a size-able current draw trying to match the induced pressure changes.

Either way not a problem in flight unless you get into brawl with pax or #2 or #1 depending on your circumstance.

Tip: sound quality better through plug in lead than blue tooth and batteries last a bit longer. Enjoy the sound quality!

M

OZZI_PPL
29th Apr 2008, 20:35
I tend to find the Zulus give out a low buzz if the fit isnt perfect. Experiment with moving the earcups until it goes away. I have the same problem occassionally with my left ear. Must be funny shaped or something :O

Ozzi

SEV
5th May 2008, 18:02
My current headset is DC H20-10 XL(ANR) .I,m really happy with them in my noisy aircraft.
I will promote to a DASH 8, so I,m thinking in buy a bose x headset due to is lighter than DC or continue with my actual headset in dash aircraft.
Big dilemma!!

OZZI_PPL
15th May 2008, 05:43
Due to the recent Zulu purchase, I have a pair of upgraded DC 13.4's for sale. PM for details.

Ozzi

sprocket check
3rd Jun 2008, 07:07
Has anyone tried the Mach 1s from Lightspeed?

sc

EC120
4th Jun 2008, 11:35
I have used DC and Peltor but they don't come close to the Bose I now use.

RadioSaigon
12th Jun 2008, 08:52
Yeah Sprocket Check, I have a Mach 1. Not a bad headset (note: not ANR) which I have had customised with a pair of unique ear moulds made for me by the local hearing clinic. If you go Mach 1, it is a mod I highly recommend. There's no need to do so via the Lightspeed-supported method which you will doubtless have read about, and pay substantially more for -just get in touch with your local hearing clinic. The whole process took about 30 minutes and cost well under AUD$100

I've used them a couple of times in GA lighties -probably not the best environment for them in noise-retention terms, although they are adequate- but they work a treat in Gas Turbines, are light & comfortable. Only gripe I had was connecting a (Vodafone) GSM phone to them -there is a cyclic 'pulse' for wont of a better phrase, when the phone is active that is bloody annoying. A superb response with the iPod connected.

LUCKY-1
30th Jun 2008, 01:39
Is there anything that can drown out a bongo at full noise? If there is lemme know as i'm going slowly deaf...maybe not that slowly actually! :ooh:

RadioSaigon
30th Jun 2008, 10:46
I did around 7 years in BN-2A, wearing nothing but (passive) DC-H10-60's. Absolutely no measurable loss of hearing either during or to date. Sure, they're noisy, but nowhere near as bad as some in here would like to make it seem. Damn fine wee aircraft IMO.

For any airframe, I'm of the opinion that the best protection for your hearing will only ever come from your own, personal headset, that only you have ever worn. My headset is to me a very personal item of kit, similar perhaps to a toothbrush. Only ever used by me, never ever loaned to another.

'Communal' headsets will provide some benefit, but the best will only ever come from your own.

LUCKY-1
3rd Jul 2008, 05:42
Sorry mate, say again...didn't quite catch that...mus be goin deaf...:} hehe

PlankBlender
19th Jul 2008, 05:02
Love the Mach-1, have used them 100+ hours in my Archer and R22/H300 blenders (also with the custom ear pieces), great piece of kit.

As I am spending quite some time in my own aeroplane and I wouldn't mind reducing the noise levels a bit more, I've been thinking about fitting her with an ANR box that I can just plug into the intercom, does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Ando1Bar
3rd Oct 2008, 08:30
Rep,

The following is advice a mate of mine from the ATO gave me recently:

A couple of weeks back when I was around your place you mentioned a question about decline in value on something you purchased for work. I'm not sure how much you already know about claiming the deduction but the attached link provides the basics for how you would calculate a deduction.
http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/35040.htm (http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/35040.htm)

Calculating decline in value involves identifying the effective life of the asset. The Commissioner has determined the effective life of some assets which are set out in the Ruling referred to on the page above. However, I'm not sure if the asset you are using is included. If not, you can self-assess how long it is likely to last. Relevant factors to consider are also included in the Ruling.

My self-assessment of the useful life of my headset was 10 years. I'm sure it will last longer though.

Hopefully this helps.

Ando

sprocket check
20th Oct 2008, 10:10
PlankBlender:

I am currently constructing an ANR system for use with various headsets. I have a set of Bose Xs with both a/c and battery power as well as a couple of standard passive types. Once the prototype is done on the passives I want to get a Mach1 set and do the same.

The Bose ANR is interesting...it is a well designed system, however...in typically Bose fashion, the processing is VERY strong. It actually removes a certain amount of sonic information from the low midrange to the high midrange. In the audio world, this is called 'hyping' - the addition of bottom end and the top end to give the system the impression of good sound. The principle is based on the Fletcher-Munsen curve, originally intended to be applied when listening to low level full range sound-to compensate for the ear's lower sensitivity at the extremes of the audible spectrum at low level.

This can make the iPod sound great in certain environments: read in the cockpit.

It doesn't do much to enhance intelligibility of speech...

The MAJOR downside with the Bose is that it attenuates the SPEECH range of the audio spectrum (not so good for listening to ATC). This is IMO due to the fact that Bose like to show amazing specs; ie on paper the NR numbers are great. I practice it is a marketing ploy.

It is possible to retrofit ANR to M1s, which conceptually I like. The thing one shouldn't expect an ANR system to do is remove all external noise. The Bose tries to do that a little too much.

sc

Jenna Talia
21st Oct 2008, 04:55
The problem I have with Bose is that they are far from robust for everyday use. Are the Zulus any better in the robust category?

JT

sprocket check
23rd Oct 2008, 05:17
In what way do you not find them robust? Just interested to know, as they seem to be well made. The potential problems in terms of lack of robustness are few.

Is there something that keeps breaking on you?

sc

adamk
23rd Oct 2008, 06:16
just had a look at the lightspeed zulu ANR as I read it is as good as the BOSE, and the added bonus of bluetooth...etc

The price went up massively.. from under a grand to 1300 in most places...:ugh:

Looks like I won't be buying for awhile... :sad:

erik07
23rd Oct 2008, 10:05
i've tested both the Bose X and Lightspeed Zulu, and must say that there is no noticeable difference in ANR performance. in terms of comfort, both are very light, with the Bose probably a tick lighter. clamping pressure is comfortable on both models. bluetooth is a nice added bonus, but to be honest, not really a necessity unless you think you need to use your phone whilst on the ground....once airborne, you'll be in and out of service anyway. I eventually went with the Zulu, and have not looked back since. you pretty much get equal value at a lower price. the warranty and service is top notch...had an issue with the cabling on mine a few months after I'd bought it, called up lightspeed aviation in the US, sent it overseas, received it back two weeks later, and was reimbursed for all shipping costs.

either way, both headsets are awesome. lightspeed zulu comes with bluetooth and at a lower price, which persuaded me to go with their flagship model. haven't regretted this choice thus far.

happy shopping! :ok:

PT6
24th Oct 2008, 05:38
Have a new Lightspeed Zulu and find it a superb headset. Very happy :D Price not so good now!

Jenna Talia
24th Oct 2008, 07:53
In what way do you not find them robust? Just interested to know, as they seem to be well made. The potential problems in terms of lack of robustness are few.

Is there something that keeps breaking on you?

Sprocket,

Flimsy removable battery cover that easily breaks and brackets that attach to the ear cups are susceptible to fatigue cracking after prolonged use.

I have to say though that Bose are nothing short of fantastic in service support.

JT

sprocket check
26th Oct 2008, 13:14
JT

Agreed, the arms that hold the cups are the weakest link.

Mine are the aircraft powered version which has been modified to run on batteries as well.

Bose are responsive in terms of service but pricey... they wanted $360 for the standard two plug cable. I know it has the mic and battery holder with primitive electronics...

The replacement ear pads, a bit of foam really... $20... each!?!

After much searching, I have found my ultimate, I think. More soon...

Hasselhof
6th Nov 2008, 11:41
once airborne, you'll be in and out of service anyway

With a NextG blue tick phone you will get uninterrupted coverage over most of the country (especially over 5000 and including way the hell out bush). Works great.

erik07
6th Nov 2008, 12:22
then i stand corrected on the mobile phone reception. i was only speaking from my experiences in the US. have not yet tried it out here in australia on any of the 3g networks ;)

Carrier
1st Dec 2008, 02:48
After several years with two LightSpeed headsets I decided to make a change. They are not robust enough for daily use by professional pilots. The same would seem to apply to both the Zulu and the Bose X. Good after sales support is nice but I prefer a headset with long term reliability that does not have to be sent back to the makers, particularly when they are in another continent. DC seems to make some sturdy non-ANC headsets but its ANC headsets seem to lag behind in performance. After checking no end of threads on various forums and numerous printed reviews I came to the conclusion that the best value for money in performance, comfort and long term reliability is the Telex Stratus 50 Digital. Apart from its outstanding acoustic performance, out of the box it runs on either batteries or aircraft power and has plug-ins for cell phones and iPods. I obtained one ten days ago.

Jenna Talia
3rd Dec 2008, 11:33
Carrier,

Assuming you have tried the Bose & Zulu, how does the Telex feel insofar as clamping pressure & comfort in comparison?

Thanks,

JT

Carrier
5th Dec 2008, 02:27
The Telex Stratus 50 Digital is very comfortable to wear. It is heavier than the Lightspeed or Bose but I do not find this to be a problem. The clamping force is adjustable. There are three levels for it. You may find full details, photo and specs at Telex (http://www.telex.com) Look under Aviation Headsets and then General.

panzerd18
5th Dec 2008, 06:23
The Lightspeed Zulu has bluetooth connectivity with your mobile phone. The Telex is connected via cable to your mobile phone, so I don't think my Sony Erricson would work with it considering the illustration in the manual.

Paul Alfred
8th Dec 2008, 10:20
Been using the Zulu's now for 3 weeks and really enjoying the quality of sound and the fact that I can hear HF a lot better. Finding it a little difficult I must admit in hearing how well I have the props in sync....I'm still not long on twins so experience probably plays a roll, but it seemed a lot easier when I was wearing the ol Blackhawk Flight Coms.

Cheers, PA

sdryh
8th Dec 2008, 17:54
I use the Bose every day at work and I find them really good at noise reduction and very light to wear, none of the David Clampers I was used to. The only problem is that the ear cup holders did show signs of cracking after 7 months. I sent them back to the well know mail order shop I bought them from and after 3 weeks they managed to fix them - free of charge, but I was without my headsets all that time, it felt like ages having to use the company headsets.

To sum up the Bose are great, although I have not tried any of the other. Not so happy with the afterservice, but I could have just been a one of case? If you fly everyday, 700 quid for a good headset is worth it.

PyroTek
10th Dec 2008, 01:10
A pair of Lightspeed Zulu's are on their way to my hands! :ok:

-- edit
they are in my hands!

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Dec 2008, 11:37
they are in my hands!

Won't do much good there Pyro - ya need to stick'em on ya head!

PS: Sheesh, Gen Y - ya gotta tell'em everything!

PyroTek
19th Dec 2008, 06:50
I stuck em on my head.. I thought I looked cooler holding them in my hands:}
Nah, the ANR is brillance, so is the sound quality

steelcraft
22nd Dec 2008, 02:35
I have a set of 20 year old h10-40s. Can you buy systems/sdaptors that will enable noise cancelling, MP3 connections and Bluetooth conections?

Katoom
24th Dec 2008, 05:04
Just picked up a D50 today and can't wait to get in the air to see how it goes. From the build side I have to say it's a pretty impressive bit of kit.

In the box there was a cloth pouch and a velcro-ended length of white plasti-cloth. Any ideas what it's for (I know I'm gonna regret asking)?

CaptainBUZZ
25th Dec 2008, 01:25
I had DC 13.4s during pilot training, all good. When I became an instructor got some DC 13x's with noise cancelling, and they were great. Sold them after finished up with instructing. Came back to instructing after many years and went looking for more ENC DCs but ended up with Bose Aviation Headset X and will not go back. No more slimy green for me, and also I got some free Oakely sunglasses with the Bose, not to mention that the Bose headset actually came in a little cheaper than DC. Its only time before Bose bring in an 'entry level' model and wipe the green slime clean away.:ok: PS I was a huge DC fan in the past.

Mick.B
27th Dec 2008, 08:34
Is the standard BOSE ok for choppers or do they offer a separate one.

18-Wheeler
7th Feb 2009, 12:19
Gidday.
I need some new gell ear seal thingies for my DC H10 13/4's - I went to visit the pilot shop at Coolly earlier today but they've closed.
Anyone know where's a good (um, cheap!) place to get them?

PyroTek
13th Feb 2009, 12:05
18-wheeler.. there's a pilot shop at YRED... if that's too much of a hike, there may be something on downunderpilotshop...

(not sure about whether they are the cheapest of course)

:ok:Pyro

18-Wheeler
13th Feb 2009, 14:23
Ta for that, all sorted. :)
A friendly FO picked up a set for me on the way past a pilot's shop a few days ago.

PyroTek
14th Feb 2009, 06:57
Loyal FO's! awesome!

bin b'archin
15th Feb 2009, 06:59
Bose all the way :ok:

geeup
22nd Feb 2009, 03:00
I have been using a set of DCs for 15 plus years couldnt give them a big enough rap, they never failed on me.. I replaced the ear cups 3 times, head foam once and the mic foam twice but apart from that excellent :ok:

However I just recently retire the DCs for a set of Bose which have been good so far only comment I have is compared to the DCs they feel as fragile as an IFR chopper pilot ;)

tmpffisch
6th Mar 2009, 09:14
I did the ANR upgrade on my set of DC 13.4's this week - day and night difference. Well worth the conversion (and would be happy to help people in Melb with the upgrade/technical side of it)

18-Wheeler
7th Mar 2009, 04:21
How much was the conversion, if you don't mind me asking?

tmpffisch
7th Mar 2009, 07:15
18-Wheeler, the kit is USD$200 or so from the states, so cost me AUD$344 incl postage. Installed myself.

18-Wheeler
7th Mar 2009, 12:52
Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

Konev
4th Apr 2009, 21:24
which kit did you use? ive found a few when searching the net for them.

tmpffisch
4th Apr 2009, 22:56
The Headsets Inc ANR kit.

OZZI_PPL
8th Apr 2009, 07:17
Anyone have any thoughts on swapping a set of Lightspeed Zulu's for a pair of Bose?

I find the Bose much more comfortable than my Zulu's (clamping much lighter). The Zulu's are about 8 months old, perfect condition.

I imagine some cash would be needed for the difference (Bose are still pricier than the Zulu's ?)

Gargleblaster
15th May 2009, 20:15
If you fly less than 20 hours / year as I do, Peltor 8006 is the absolutely best and cheapest headset and anything beyond that is a waste of money. If gear is important for you, you can spray-paint it DC-green.

Have a friend who works for a hearing aid company, and believe me, they've got some serious test equipment. He bought a DC headset. 1) It hardly worked (one spkr more or less inop) 2) The electronic and assembly quality was appalling. DC replaced it twice, and he's still not satisfied.

Cloud Basher
25th May 2009, 14:37
Whilst at Sun n Fun I took my 18 month old Bose into the Bose stand for a checkup. The new updated Bose X have a swivelling ear cup thingy for even more comfort and they fitted those, and some new ear pads (that weren't needed) all for nothing. Some people say they would want to do it for nothing, but I have to say I have not found customer service like that with anything else! Two thumbs up for Bose from me.

Cheers
CB

PyroTek
27th May 2009, 12:54
Hey,
Well I have another point to add about the Zulu's.
Taxiing to the runway this morning, I had to make a phone call
So i did! Sure enough, my mate had no idea i was in an aircraft. Just as the reviews say.
another :ok: for the zulus!

Pyro

Extra260
27th May 2009, 13:05
I loved my Zulu's for all 20 hrs that they worked:* Now when I turn on the ANR, it goes very quiet.. too quiet in fact, can't hear anything, myself or anyone else. Turn off the ANR and I can hear... while the engine is at idle. Once in the air they are useless without the anr. Tried calling the service agent, was told the person I needed speak to wasn't there.. left my name & number.. still waiting for a call back:hmm: I ordered a pair of DC10-13.4's as a backup set today.. not much to go wrong with those!

PyroTek
27th May 2009, 15:36
Headsets may have their faults, the Zulu's have been pretty much flawless for me :ok:
after 40ish hours they are still kickin'

MD500J
27th May 2009, 17:04
Pretty keen on some zulu's.
Have read all the previous and still unsure.
Only negative for me is cost.
Have got a well looked after DC 13.4 but those pistons just seem to get louder after 3 hours or so.

So a few questions to help me justify / put me off them and look for something else.

*Will they stand up to 900 odd hours a year, on/off my head 6-12 times a day?
*Are they just as good in a turbine aircraft when the time comes? c208?
*Where is the best/cheapest place to purchase in Botswana or SA? or do I import from US or OZ?

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Bird-dog
28th May 2009, 03:20
I'm in the process of just finishing my MECIR and looking for a new headset to get started with. After a fair amount of research I found the Clarity Aloft (Clarity Aloft™ Aviation Headsets (http://www.clarityaloft.com/)) headset to look pretty damn good. It's less than half the weight of the Zulu's, doesn't sit on your head like a regular pair of cans - so fatigue is minimal, and although isn't ANR, it is supposedly as good, attenuating 35-45 decibels with the earplugs. I guess as an individual you just have to be happy with pushing something into your ear like regular earplugs for a period of time.

The 'pro' model is only available in the States, but the regular headset can be ordered through New Zealand. The only difference I can see between the two is that one is more lightweight and is TSO certified.

Oh...it also has plug for phone or tunes.

PM me if you want the NZ company details and I'll post again after purchase in a couple of weeks to update on how it goes. Alternatively, has anyone used them and can give advice?

And last but not least, it retails at just over half the price of a Zulu.:D

Cheers

Cloud Basher
28th May 2009, 20:59
Bird Dog,
I have tried them when a mate was shopping for a new headset for him and his wife. He went for the Zulus and his wife the Clarity Aloft. His wife hated the clamping pressure or regular headsets, although she liked the Bose, but she couldn't get passed the fact that a headset messed up her hair, so Clarity Aloft obviously fix this. Myself, well I hated the ear plugs in the ear. I hate ear plugs at the best of times and to wear them for three or four hours whilst flying would drive me nuts.

Each to their own, if you can handle the plugs in the ears then they seemed to work fine (aircraft we trialled them in was a Beech Sierra).

HTH
CB

Bird-dog
28th May 2009, 22:02
Thanks for the response Cloud Basher. I do a lot of running with headphones with similar to the Aloft 'in the ear' design so I'm not anticipating any problems from my perspective. Good to know it won't mess up my hair as well lol. :ok:

Wan
28th May 2009, 22:15
I went for zulus. The ANR failed in a flight and I could not hear any radio calls. Luckily I was not alone. One of the reasons I went for them was that I had read they had better passive reduction than the Bose. If that is technically right, the practical benefit is nothing.

The other reason was price - they were around $300 cheaper. Given the problems (and I have not had good service in getting them repaired - in fact I have had the run around for around 5 months from Lightspeed), I now wish I had bought the Bose. Although I have not used them myself, when I did my research the people who did have them all seemed very happy. Plus I think they may be lighter and have less clamping pressure. Had the zulus not failed I would have been very happy with them, but I will next buy Bose. I hate it when you try to cut costs and then it ends up costing you a whole lot more.

Extra260
29th May 2009, 04:17
Well after my zulu's failing earlier this week, I bought a pair of DC10-13.4's as a backup (doesn't hurt to have a good spare set). I tried calling the lightspeed repair center (tristar aviation), had to leave a my name & number, but didn't get a call back, so tried emailing yesterday but no response so far. I spent some time fiddling with the set last night, and it seems to be a problem with the music mute button (which I don't use anyway), some wiggling of the button caused all sorts of clicks and pops (not plugged into anything). I tried the headset again today in an aircraft and it worked fine. I will probably send them for a check anyway.

Bunyan Wingnut
2nd Jun 2009, 07:40
I have used the David Clarks for a long time, was very happy with them, but sometimes had issues with clarity of reception at long range, hearing faint transmissions over engine noise. I had a try of the Zulus and liked them - but more recently when I flew with Curtis at Camden I used their Bose Xs and they are fantastic. I bit the bullet and got some. Recent trips have shown incredible clarity with faint transmissions. I have no regrets with that purchase, notwithstanding the initial price tag. :ok:

Barkly1992
18th Jun 2009, 08:52
Now lets hold a poll - who doesn't use a headset - handheld mike and speaker.

Very cheap.
:suspect:

RadioSaigon
17th Jul 2009, 05:58
...who doesn't use a headset - handheld mike and speaker...

Maybe you could entitle your poll "who doesn't value their hearing". :eek:

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Jul 2009, 11:09
My DC-X11s broke today - at the hinge on one side. They are only a couple of years old and used very little.

NOT HAPPY JAN!

D-J
21st Jul 2009, 21:56
My DC-X11s broke today - at the hinge on one side. They are only a couple of years old and used very little.

Pretty common for X11's, a friend had the same happen & got up DC until they replaced them

QSK?
22nd Jul 2009, 00:41
Barkly1992:

When I was learning to fly in '74 almost every pilot I know did not have a headset. Handheld mike and speaker was definitely the norm back then.

smiling monkey
2nd Aug 2009, 00:00

I did my Restricted PPL in 1988 and we didn't use headsets then. All coms were done through the aircraft speaker and handheld mike. Headsets were just about to become popular and by the time I started my Unrestricted PPL training in 1989, our flying school had installed intercoms in all aircraft. Some of them were those messy third-party jobs with wires everywhere with the multi-jacks sitting on the floor. I remember my instructor then was proudly showing off to me his brand spanking new model David Clark 13.4 with flexible boom mike! That's how long this model has been around.

aerodude
2nd Aug 2009, 11:49

NOT HAPPY JAN!Wow DR you were doing well to get a couple of years out of them. I have seen these things break as young as 6 months old!! Unfortunately DC has skimped with the build quality of the X11s a bit. Thank god DC have excellent customer service. Take them back to where you brought them and DC will send out a brand new pair!! Also another hint when you go to replace the ear seals just wack on the standard gel seals (the ones used on the 13.4s ect) . They save you $10, they seal better and there is none of this left right crap.

Rollingout
4th Aug 2009, 03:06
Hi all,

Could I get some sort of indication of which headsets work better for people with bigger heads... like me! :sad:

For me, I'm interested in the Bose, Zulus and the Telex D50.