PDA

View Full Version : Headset types in GA

Pages : 1 [2]

PyroTek
27th Aug 2009, 01:44
Though I haven't tried the Bose or the Telex, From what I hear, the Zulu's (My most valued posession) don't have a very hard clamping force on the head.. :ok:
I'm real happy with my Zulu's.

phatmike128
27th Aug 2009, 06:56
I'm heading over to the States in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone knows if it's worth looking for a headset over there? Would it be much cheaper and does anyone know the warranty details on the Bose and Lightspeeds? If it's not an international warranty I wont bother - just thought I'd ask..

210oneday
27th Aug 2009, 09:04
Be very careful getting headsets from the states. most people forget that you need a US/Aus adapter. I made this mistake and $6953.21US later I am still headsetless:{. If your going to New York, go to the centre of Harlem and check out "Jakes Ghetto Gadgets"

PS Pay cash and jake will sort you out

:ok:

snoop doggy dog
27th Aug 2009, 09:24
I used DC 13.4 for about 10 years whilst flying Piston and Turbines. They are a good set. Ruggered and tuff enough for dozen sector bouncing of Australia everywhere. I had a Telex set before this (15 years when they died). They were lightweight and comfortable.

After my set was about 5 years old, I sent them to the states to get the mic checked out. They replaced the mic, replaced the metal as it was a bit rusty and put new gel seals and covers on them. All for FREE! (cost postage):ok:

The customer service is first class, the headset is a good no frills, cheap and reliable headset.

You can put a liitle more foam in the cups to make them quieter.

Not the fanciest, but take some punishment :ok:

The Green Goblin
28th Aug 2009, 00:49
Ive used my DC 13.4s for about 9 years now and have only had to replace the ear cups once.

They are a good reliable headset and have served very well through my piston days.

I have just bit the bullet and ordered the Bose headset as I am sick of the noise from a couple of screaming garretts (hopefully for not much longer!!)

Anyway something I have just noticed, the band is made from Magnesium and is a highly flammable material. From flying the 404 with a magnesium wing spar I remember if you had a genny failure which was geared and it lit up, it was a land immediately event wherever you could before the spar got a whiff of a flame.

What do you fellas think of magnesium in a headset?

carbon
28th Aug 2009, 02:26
Your head would be burned severly long before the magnesium in the headset ignited:ok:

Considering some auto engine blocks are made from magnesium, your noggin should be ok!

freshy1234
28th Aug 2009, 12:25
What do you fellas think of magnesium in a headset?

I would think it is a magnesium alloy (same for engine blocks) and whatever it is alloyed with would considerably change its characteristics. But even if it isn't an alloy the ignition temp of it is 510C.

Just don't throw your $1500 headset in water :ugh: as it will produce hydrogen... then you got a problem :hmm:.

ksa5223
1st Sep 2009, 02:19
I used a pair of david clarks 13.4's the other day for an hour after 7 months of Zulu'ing. Had a headache while I was driving home! (clamping forces not noise related)

ZULU FTW.

holdmetight
1st Sep 2009, 13:24
i'm using Bose now, very happy with them. expensive they may be, but definitely worth the investment if you spend a lot of time away from the ground! :ok:

theflyinggeek
4th Sep 2009, 07:12
I'm using the Lightspeed QFR Solo - pretty good headset for the starting pilot (and only $300 or so).

Torquatus
1st Oct 2009, 22:58
I don't think you'll find a set of new DC 13.4s (edit: from Australia) for less than $450!

lostwingnut
2nd Oct 2009, 12:50
Where about's did you order them?

I'm kinda in the market for a new headset, the old DC's are heading towards 8 years. Will be happy to get 10 years, but if something good and at a fantastic price comes along I will jump.

I have tried some of the new, light headsets. Is it weird that I feel naked without my heavy DC's on?

Lost

fabbe92
4th Oct 2009, 19:10
Anyone know how the clamping force on the sennheiser hmec 460 is? Are they comfortable in generall for people with a large head?

I have tryed the Telex 50D today and they are extremley uncomfortable. They weigh like a house and they are very tight on your head. I guess it´s even worse for people with large heads.

luckyluke
7th Oct 2009, 21:40
dc 13.4s definately the workhorse but found the clamping force a bit much after 4 or so hours,
Have upgraded now to Flightcom Denali ANR which have so far been great,hardly feels like your wearing them, bought them from skygeek in US and paid 450 less then buying them from Downunderpilotshop!

172driver
19th Oct 2009, 20:16
Get a Bose-X. The headset to end all headsets....... seriously.

deano65
21st Oct 2009, 06:51
Yeah I use a Bose-X...and love it

eocvictim
21st Oct 2009, 06:53
I now use bose (got given a set) but have been using DCH10 13.4s for the last 8odd years no problems with many 4+hour sectors. I would never have bothered to buy the bose if they hadn't been given to me. Plus the DC's are bulletproof and dont need batteries ever 10 sectors.

$350 compared with $1200odd for much the same result... easy choice.

schoolboy
23rd Oct 2009, 08:38
I recently got a Zulu and am quite impressed. Seems better then the Bose, or maybe that’s just the wallet saying that.

Torquatus
12th Nov 2009, 00:18
Preparing to dodge shoes, but I bought a Pilot PA-1181 for passenger use and can't fault them for $150! Noise reduction is the same or perhaps slightly better than my old set of DC H10-30s, and they are lighter. Disadvantage is that they don't feel quite as solid, but they're sturdy enough.

For the casual pilot they certainly would save you some money compared to a set of DC 13.4s. Obviously they're not a patch on the Bose or Zulus for daily use.

KopitePilot
21st Nov 2009, 05:12
Been using a Sennheiser HMEC 250 ANR Headset for the past 12 months. Less than half the price of the Bose and 99% as good. Very good on batteries - just put my second set in after nearly 200 hours use and very very light. Only bad thing I'd have to say is the bag they give you looks great when they come pre packed, but is pointless the second you unravel the leads. My other set is a DC 13.4 and the Sennheiser beats them hands down and isn't that much more expensive.

cosmo21
26th Nov 2009, 06:19
How ruggered are the Lightspeed Zulus? For those that have been using them for a while.
Thinking of getting a set. I fly a lot of mail runs with anywhere from 8 to 19 sectors, so they need to be able to take the abuse of on/off, dropped on the floor, on the dash ect ect multiple times in any day.
I tried a set the other day on a 5 hr flight and they were good.Took a bit of getting used to the Noise Reduction tho.. I liked them.

C

maverick22
27th Nov 2009, 22:15
Where is the best place to buy a set of Bose these days? Now that the dollar is pretty good. Anybody bought a set recently?

pd2
5th Dec 2009, 11:06
There have been very few posts regarding the DC X11's since around 2007.

I am considering purchasing one, but have had mixed reviews from the various aviation shops I have phoned around Australia and read on the internet. One store told me that they are absolute crap and to forget them. Another lady told me they have had no complaints while another told me that they are a great headset and they have had a few returns, but none recently.

The price varies considerabley between stores... from $1,050 upto $1,650 which I found strange.

So, after 2-3 years on the market, have the bugs and faults been fixed? Are these a good buy, or is it still a case of stay away?

Regards

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Dec 2009, 11:33
David Clark X11
There have been very few posts regarding the DC X11's since around 2007. I am considering purchasing one,

Don't! They are crap. DC should hang their heads in shame!

I had already relegated them to the 'spare' category, and they had hardly been used when they broke at the headband hinge. I blame Jaba - but then I blame Jaba for anything to do with my aeroplane that breaks!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get them fixed.

Dr http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif

Reverseflowkeroburna
7th Dec 2009, 05:45
There have been very few posts regarding the DC X11's since around 2007.

I've had mine for approx. 35months/1700hrs in a workplace thats often 40+ degrees and/or 70+% RH on the apron with usually 2-6 sectors/day.

No problems with the headset itself so far. My only grievance comes from losing a channel on the lead used to connect the iPod. I can hardly blame DC for this as I replaced the offending one with an after market one and it has ended up the same. Both have failed at the end which has a right-angled connecter. Design flaw in the plug? The iPod sounds great through them btw.

Flip side; I admit the ANR/audio performance probably isn't a good as the Bose, but I was aware of and happy with this prior to purchase. I'm increasingly flying singles so I like to hear what may be going on!

My previous DC's served me faultlessly for 10 years. I choose the X11's for that durability/dependability. I'm not in any way dissapointed thus far. In fact, I'd go as far to say that their performance in the aforementioned environment is a credit to DC. I have a preference for Nokia phones for the same reasons and I've had a phone battery melt on me in this climate.

X11's :ok:

The Strez
7th Dec 2009, 16:00
Avoid the X11. They are rubbish. :* I've had to send mine back to the states 3 times for repairs (all within 12 months of purchase) and even now they still aren't working as advertised, I just can't be stuffed sending them back again. I only get about 10 -12 hrs NR per set of batteries, both rechargeable and non rechargeable! Spoken to guys who have the Bose and they only change batteries every 3 weeks! I went the X11 as I'd had a set of DCs for over 14 years with no hassles what so ever and wanted the ability to plug my iPod into the headset. Unfortunately DC has really dropped the ball, standards wise, with the X11. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...I should have went for the Lightspeed Zulus!

Reverseflowkeroburna
8th Dec 2009, 11:52
Awwww you wrecker Strez! :ouch:

I think I'm getting around twenty hours or a couple of weeks from my rechargeables. The performance of different brands of batteries did vary remarkably though. If I don't use them the rechargeables do tend to flatten somewhat from just sitting there.

I loves the cloth covers in this heat too. I don't think they can be fitted onto the Bose cans.

I'll get a Bose set soon when I'm in a cooler southern climate and then I'll be in a position to compare.

PyroTek
8th Dec 2009, 12:43
Zulu's are going great, just bought a pair of DC 13.4's incase zulu's ever break down, but primarily for my friends to wear when they come flying :ok:

The Strez
9th Dec 2009, 12:38
Hey Reverseflow!
Yeah you've had a better run with your X11s than I have. You gonna cave and get the company Bose's when ya head to that southern base?? :) Guess ya wont have time, or need, to plug ya Ipod in down there on those short haul flights! LOL :ok::}

Unusual-Attitude
12th Dec 2009, 05:31
I posted on this tread a while ago about how great the lightspeed zulu's were, and I stand by that, they are great in nearly every respect.

However, just the other week, (and having used the zulu's now for almost exactly 1 year), I noticed the black covering on the ear and head pads was coming off, then the following week the inner seam of both ear seals split to reveal the green foam padding inside.

Now i know these are replaceable items, but I had a set of DC's that went 6 years before I replaced the gel seals.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I told the same story via email to the lightspeed guys in Oregon, and a new set of seals are on their way, free gratis with compliments...just incase you have the same happen. :ok:

sahni
14th Dec 2009, 07:13
There was a question a while ago how the clamping force of the Sennheiser HMEC 460 is. Any comments on that? Also any other input regarding ANR of that headset?

I've been using DC 13.4 but seriously looking to replace/upgrade it with a ANR model. The HMEC 460 seems to be cheaper than the Bose or Zulu but has similar technical details.

Cheers!

pilot2684
15th Dec 2009, 15:57
Why not upgrade your 10-13.4's with an ANR kit
169 USD for the kit
+ 10 bucks for the auto power off box
+ 19 bucks for the AMP Cable (audio, mic, power)

Not a bad little bargain, and better than some of the more higher priced items imho. Got them in my 10-13.4's and i've listened to lightspeed zulu's. Still go with my trusty 10-13.4's

j3pipercub
13th Jan 2010, 00:11
True, but how many 9volts do you go through?

bushpig
13th Jan 2010, 07:37
My David Clarkes are H3330's and about 25 yrs old, never serviced that I can remember, still with original cables (albeit with a few bits of the outer stuff missing), used on everything from mail runs in 210's and Aztecs to the air conditioned turbine environment at some stage, nearly always in the Tropics and based near the sea. Often dropped, walked on or kicked, accidently of course. Occasionally tangled around a foot as I've gone headfirst down the isle getting out of my seat with said cable restraining my cursing exit.

They may not be as quiet as some of the newer ones but I'm not deaf yet...I don't think!! The only mods are gel seals and cloth pads/muffs.

Would I buy David Clarkes again? I might but I don't need to yet.

Jetjr
13th Jan 2010, 22:30
Ive got 2 of these and very good, old robust DC headset with new cancelling tech inside. Panel power board is simple too, no more batteries.
www.headsetsinc.com (http://www.headsetsinc.com)
Theres a magazine comparo somewhere saying they were similar performance to much more $$ ANR setups

I know a guy who will likely trade his (near new) X11 for new 13.4's, thats how impressed he is.

Reading5
14th Jan 2010, 12:55
As a Flight instructor and having been flying for 24 years and read a few forums, I want to put in my two bobs worth in relation to the Bose Aviation Headset-X verses the David Clark X-11 debate.

The thing that keeps Bose ahead of the field is the service and quality of product. Support service is second to none.

When looking to buy a new headset, I reviewed the net and spoke to people regarding which headset was the best. I want to state here and now that I had an old set of the David Clark's that I purchased over 20 years ago. They are still in great condition and working today.

The best aviation headset is the Bose Avaiation Headset X without doubt.

David Clark products historically are excellent. Following on from the DC Product performance I thought I would purchase the new X-11, particularly with a number of promises that it would out do the tried and proven Bose Headset X. What was appealing with the DC's was the mobile phone and ipod connector. My problem was that I could not hear the tower in Cessna 152's or 150's. The DC's were not cutting out the noise you would expect for a set at that price.

I was lucky enough to return my DC head set to the place where I had purchased the headset (and earlier H/S 20 years prior) and the DC's were replaced with a new Head Set X.

pilot2684
18th Jan 2010, 05:07
j3pipercub Surprisingly not a lot. That's the joys of the auto power off kit. When not in use, they shut down the ANR. And I can still use the headset passively. :)

FB777
23rd Jan 2010, 05:36
I have a Bose which I no longer need still under warranty, if anyone is interested in it PM me...

FL170
7th Feb 2010, 04:01
Can anyone advise where I can buy a Bose leather helmet? I have seen them so they do exist! Just can't track any down on their website or on google.

Cheers

W2k
16th Feb 2010, 11:37
Lightspeed Zulu for me. Picked up a barely-used pair for about $690 to replace a pair of clunky Peltors. So far I have absolutely no complaints, my experience is that the Zulus are in fact a lot more durable than they look and feel at first glance. Audio quality is second to none that I know of.

romeocharlie
27th Mar 2010, 01:20
FL170, the only Bose leather helmet I know of, the guy that has it had it specially made. If you're really keen to go this way pm me and I'll find out who did it. I believe the whole process cost around $3000 - just informed Campbell Aero in NZ do it.

fullandfreeonthetop
22nd Jun 2010, 08:58
Bose are good unless you have a large head. Steep for the finances though. . .

AVIATOR1982
1st Jul 2010, 23:50
My vote goes for the Sennheiser HMEC 250 all day long, I have been using them for about 12 months and they are outstanding, the most comfortable headset I have worn.

The ANR is the best I have used, perfectly balanced. Personally I found the Bose took out too much of the low end frequencies and sound very tinny, I like to be able to hear a bit of what the engine is up to, the batteries in the Sennheiser's last forever as well.

I have tried the Zulu's and Bose and they are good but how on earth you can justify the price of them over the Sennheiser's I will never know. Just make sure you don't buy a set from overseas as the warranty won't be valid for Australia, I believe they are cheaper here anyway once you factor in expensive shipping and the exchange rate.

18-Wheeler
9th Jul 2010, 01:32
I'm out of aviation for good now, got a set of DC 10 13.4's I no longer need. PM me if you're interested.

Donwoody
18th Jul 2010, 05:19
I've been using DC10-20s for years as a private pilot and they've been brilliant. Now at 38 I've decided to fly for a living and have my first job flying C402/404 and loving it but my 20 year old DC10-20s are slowly dying. I want to buy the best headset money can buy. I obviously want a noise cancelling set but whether to go DC or Bose is still unclear even after reading these posts and talking to many pilots. Will DC or Bose bring out a new model in the near future because the Bose x has been around for years hasn't it? Hmm decisions decisions.

ckaine
19th Jul 2010, 03:31
I am getting back to to flying after a few years off and intend to go on and complete my GFPT PPL and CPL.

I have the choice of purchasing a David Clark H10-13.4 headset for around $350, or an 'as new' Bose Aviation X for about $670.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the Bose would be worth the extra $300 odd dollars over the David Clark? I wouldn't consider paying full price for the Bose but at $670 it is more tempting.

I am guessing that in a smaller engined aircraft the noise cancelling difference between the two may not be that great, but am still wondering whether I'd be better to spend the extra now?

Thanks!!

aldee
21st Jul 2010, 07:41
Done most of my flying with H10 13.4's, bloody good solid headset.
Considering you're deaf for a long time I decided to go ANR & took the Bose route, all good IMHO & at the price you're talking if they aren't you move them on, you aren't going to lose on the deal:ok:

david michael
21st Jul 2010, 07:47
the Bose heatsets are excellent! Ive used one for two years now. Well worth the money. Once you have one you wont go back!

W2k
21st Jul 2010, 08:07
the Bose heatsets are excellent! Ive used one for two years now. Well worth the money. Once you have one you wont go back!
A mate of mine did in fact go back to the Zulus after buying a brand new Bose X. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to try them.

david michael
21st Jul 2010, 08:15
The Zulu has bluetooth. I guess Bose will bring one out at some point to match this.

Horatio Leafblower
21st Jul 2010, 08:40
I replaced my 1994-model 4,500 hour DC-13.4s with Zulus and I am pretty happy with the product.

I can't fault the DCs for reliability and ruggedness - I just hope the extra $$$ will translate into better hearing protection.

david michael
21st Jul 2010, 08:49
If it makes it a little less painful you can use a promo code 'walkingonair' which gives you a discount on most things on www.pooleys.com (http://www.pooleys.com) every penny helps.

Rhodesia77
28th Jul 2010, 01:28
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/4836391660_8eb4d9b0ef.jpg

A20 Aviation Headset (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/aviation_headsets/a20/index.jsp)

david michael
28th Jul 2010, 07:50
Ah a new Bose is out! over £1000.00 aparently.

Killer Loop
30th Jul 2010, 04:43
Bose A20, US$1,095 (in the US funnily enough).

bubble.head
30th Jul 2010, 10:10
Bose A20, US$1,095 (in the US funnily enough).

It is a very nice product. However considering you can buy the Lightspeed zulu for US$900 and they both provide the same features. It would be hard press not to consider the zulu before the A20.

RGM74
1st Aug 2010, 07:12
I know you can listen to music from your I Phone via Bluetooth with the Lightspeed Zulu. Anyone know if you can do the same with the new Bose A20?

Runaway Gun
1st Aug 2010, 08:09
The website states that Bluetooth is for mobile phone only, however an auxillary jack allows you to plug in an MP3 player.

RGM74
1st Aug 2010, 09:03
Cheers, just read that on their website. Has anyone tried it with an I phone to see if it will work? looking at getting a Zulu and then this comes along, Bluetooth sold me on the Zulu but that was only really sold for phone use also.

GlasairII
2nd Aug 2010, 19:32
I purchased both the Bose X and Lightspeed Zulu two months ago. I could not discern any difference in the overall noise reduction or comfort between the two. Neither my wife or I after several flights over several hours could tell the difference other than the Bose are slightly smaller.

If the claims are true then I would expect the new Bose A20 to be better than the Zulu in both active and passive noise reduction.

VH-XXX
11th Aug 2010, 03:44
Many retailers had the Bose and Zulu's at OshKosh.

Many a customer are saying that the Zulu's are still better than the new Bose.

The Lightspeed stand actually had the Bose units on their stand as a comparison - which shows how confident they are that theirs are better.

Jabawocky
11th Aug 2010, 23:23
Yep........and with that...we invested:ok:

And they worked out USD$300 cheaper than the Bose, have better connectivity to other things, feel nicer on my head at least, and the audio quailty seemed pretty much the same.

Was a no brainer......now if you ask Beachking about his early model Lightspeeds and a flood in his hangar....there is a good story!

J:)

The Mentalist
12th Aug 2010, 10:39
Iphones as MP3 Players? Ever had to use the Iphone as a Phone, but coudn't because the battery is flat as you used it to play music? Give me a plain phone that works anyday for flying remote!

Anyway I have used a pair of BOSE X for about 2 years in singles and Twins, they are great when working correctly. If you wear glasses or sunnies a little bit of an air hole is created by the sunnies and it lets in noise. Easy fix I hear you say, by sitting the sunnies above the ear cushions. Does work for a while but for 3-6 hrs it gets quite annoying. The old DC 13.4 are good but would be better with ANC.

PS: The Bose DO NOT Quiten down the noise of the C310 on takeoff as the props are out of synch slightly. Once airborne and synched they are ok. No such problems in a Baron or PA-31.

I am getting rid of the Bose X. PM me if your interested. They use AA's.:cool:

Smoke on go
12th Aug 2010, 11:22
I've flown with David Clarks and Bose X in Cessnas, Pitts and Pipers. The Bose are more comfortable and great for medium noise reasonably insulated aircraft like modern cabin piston aircraft. They don't have a lot of passive noise protection and in high noise aircraft the ANR can't cope.

In high noise aircraft like a Pitts or alike with almost no insulation, the DC win as the passive noise cancellation gives some protection that the Bose ANR can't cope with.

Perhaps the Lightspeed Zulus have the best of both worlds, I haven't tried them but am keen to.

By the way, I sold my Bose on e-bay. There were about 12 pairs for sale, there were no Zulus for sale. Perhaps that is telling in itself.

constellaton
15th Aug 2010, 08:32
Has anyone tried the new Bose A20 yet. I am thinking about getting a new headset not sure if I should get the Zulu or the new Bose????

BEACH KING
15th Aug 2010, 11:33
Now that is an interesting question.

I have had a set of Bose headsets for quite a number of years. They are a terrific product.

When David Clark released the X11 headset, I bought a pair, due to the ability to integrate a mobile phone/UHF radio/music player with them. In my opinion, the Bose had better ANR quality, but the X11 was more comfortable to wear, and the phone interface was a "must have" feature. Overall I quite like the X11 headset, although many on here will beg to differ (Including a well known Dr). I have been using the X11's for the past 18 months.. and Mrs Beach has had to use the Bose.

I had the opportunity to try a set of Lightspeed Zulus in a friends plane, and was VERY impressed. They honestly were the most comfortable headset I have ever worn (large ear cups). The ANR quality was as good as the BOSE, and the bluetooth integration feature simply outstanding!

I had heard on numerous forums, that Bose were going to release the A20 headsets at Oshkosh. They claim it features better ANR, and more comfort, and bluetooth integration!! I was quite excited, as I was going to Oshkosh, that I would buy a pair there.. hopefully cheaper and sooner availability than in Australia.

Bose had a very elaborate display set up at Oshkosh, with some very expensive advertising and lots of very good looking girls demonstrating the A20 headsets and their features. Bose had loud "aircraft type" background noise playing during the demonstration, and it was all very impressive.The headset felt the same as my old Bose, but the ANR may have been a touch better. I was disappointed that the A20 bluetooth feature does not include streaming from your mobile phone, i.e you can't wirelessly listen to music (you can with the LightSpeeds)...you have to connect a patch cable (same as the DC X11). Also the transition from music/phone to ATC/Radio override was very abrupt, with the music reverting back startlingly at full volume.. instead of a gradual increase. Also, as far as I can determine (and I am willing to be corrected), if you are receiving a phone call with the A20, a radio transmission will mute the call. The sales person claimed that you could set it so that this doesn't happen, but was unable to demonstrate how.. even after consulting with colleagues.. and the instruction book makes no mention of it!
However, I was pretty impressed with the A20 and at US$1095 I decided that I would buy a pair at the end of the week to save carting them around all week.

But then Jaba and I saw the Lightspeed stand NEXT DOOR. They had a sign out the front that invited you in to compare the Lightspeed Zulus to the new Bose A20s!!
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/leesnide/19533161.jpg
Bugger me..they had 5 stands with both Zulu's and A20's and a really loud speaker imitating aircraft noise. There was a big line-up of people at every booth to do the comparison... and boy..what an eye opener!
Both Jaba and I, and most people there were of the opinion that the ANR and comfort of both sets were line ball. The Bose is slightly lighter in weight, but I found that the Zulus didn't squeeze my ears as much. I don't wear glasses, but a few there that did, reckoned that there was no difference in either set with glasses on. The bluetooth functionality on the Zulus is far superior to the A20. Bose have really dropped the ball with this. They can't match the features on their new product to the Zulus that have been around for about 2 years. With the Zulus, you can easily prioritise between phone/music/radio..and stream devices with bluetooth. You either can't..or can't do this easily with the Bose.
Bottom line is that the Zulus at the show special price of US$800 represent excellent value for money and are the better product overall.

As Jaba mentioned, a old pair of Lightspeed XL20 (their first ANR headset) that I have, was submerged in floodwater here recently for 2 days. After leaving them out in the sun for a week, and replacing the batteries.. they work like new (after a new set of ear cups..$10 at Oshkosh).

chainsaw
15th Aug 2010, 22:18
...and lots of very good looking girls demonstrating the A20 headsets and their features.

Geez BEACH KING, I hope you didn't get sprung by Mrs B while you were checking out Bose girls' 'features'!:}

BEACH KING
16th Aug 2010, 02:21
Luckily for me, Mrs Beach stayed at home.... and doesn't read prune

Better61
16th Aug 2010, 16:40
Does anybody have any feedback or comparisons on the new Lightspeed Sierra headset versus the Zulu's or the Bose A20's. I am interested in buying a pair and would be most appreciative if anybody has had any experience or hands-on contact with them. I have not been able to try or see them, as they are not available in Australia yet. I basically would like to know how good they are.

KING PIN
5th Sep 2010, 21:35
Hey guys and girls ,

Which headset do you prefer out of the following two?

1. AvComm AC-200 PNR

2. AvComm AC-900 PNR

I am looking at getting one of them and wondering which is the best out of the two.

thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

struba
27th Sep 2010, 23:15
Has anyone been able to try the new Bose A20 directly against the Lightspeed Zulu in an aircraft? I found Beach King's experiences at Oshkosh very very interesting. However I don't think not being able to wirelessly stream music to the Bose would worry me. I've heard one opinion that the A20 is quieter than the Zulus.

Aeromuz
28th Sep 2010, 12:33
I have been using DC for years but have just invested in a Bose A20....verdict in one word...legendary:ok:

Muz

On eyre
3rd Nov 2010, 01:38
Anyone tried the Lightspeed Sierra yet ? A little cheaper than the Zulu with different style headband.

buzz box
12th Dec 2010, 05:49
Im also interested in whether anyone has tried the Lightspeed Sierra's? Trying to decide between them and the Zulu's...