PDA

View Full Version : Paddies / Brits in Germany

FlyingIrishman
9th Oct 2002, 15:54
Are Irish and British pilots qualified to work for German airlines with the standard UK / Irish licences and appropriate type rating? The reason I'm asking about this is because I've not come across any Paddies / Brits when flying with German carriers; adding to that the fact that I vaguely remember something on one of these forums about Germany being exempt from JAR-OPS at this moment in time which has something to do with it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nightrider
9th Oct 2002, 16:53
Germany is fully JAR-compliant, but there is no JAR licence so far.
You will need to validate your licence first and to read, write and speak the German language....and that was always the major hurdle.

hptaccv
11th Oct 2002, 22:22
...is the wording that the german faa has been using for the last two years in respect to the introduction of the JAR-FCL licencing concept. As rumour has it, the current date of introduction is set for second quarter of 2003. I guess that in accordance with european union guidelines there shouldn't be any restrictions to place of work... On the other hand, I guess a german airline will still require minimum understanding of the german language. (As probably every other airline in a non-english speaking country would!)

FlyingIrishman
13th Oct 2002, 20:35
Thanks for the replies so far. This now leads me to the next question:
What about agency pilots from abroad that are called in for only 6 months, say, and aren't employed by the airline but an agency?

expedite_climb
14th Oct 2002, 07:56
The reason there are very few foreigners working for german carriers is that the unionisation in germany is very strong...