PDA

View Full Version : Ab 9358

Rosso
9th Oct 2002, 07:41
Yesterday i was in MUC Airspace when a Air Berlin 9358 called on Guard Mayday. Time about 17:00 UTC. Requested Vectors to the nearest Airport and named Zurich or Geneva. Nature of Emergency was Electrical Problems. Aircraft was a B 737-800 and he was cleared from Level Flight direct to 5000 feet, then heared him to ask for Track miles t go to RWY 14 ZRH.

Any News about that?

noatak
9th Oct 2002, 07:52
You will never ever find something on the AB webpages concerning any emergencies! Why? Well they don't have emrgecies. At least that's what they want to believe the public.

Notso Fantastic
9th Oct 2002, 08:40
C'mon chaps, let's put our thinking hats on! Do we really think airlines put their various problems on homepages? Apart from being totally unnecessary, it's alarmist, and as we have seen from Reporting Points, likely to be taken up by people who know nothing about aviation who then end up criticising the crew and/or airline involved.

We know it was a twin. The rules are if you end up on a single electrical/hydraulic/power(engine) source, I think probably everybody follows the 'land at nearest suitable airfield' advice. Thus it would probably have only been a PRECAUTIONARY landing. Maybe a fire warning, which quite possibly could just be an overheat/false warning, but I'm sure they did the right thing. In Europe, from anywhere, you can always glide in. Shorthaul aeroplanes have nothing like the redundancy of Longhaul aeroplanes.

The Sweeney
9th Oct 2002, 11:37
BA publish most things - see http://press.britishairways.com