PDA

View Full Version : visual or ILS

mstram
9th Oct 2002, 04:44
Given VMC conditions, why would a visual approach be preferable to an ILS ?

(Assume you are the only traffic).

Flat-Spot
9th Oct 2002, 05:07
I do a visual when its VMC because I'm either tired after a long night of flying or I am feeling lazy as the aircraft I fly doesn't have autopilot. Another reason is because I am running behind schedule...either way, it doesn't save much time but it makes me feel psychologically better....does that help?

Cheers, F-S

eyeinthesky
9th Oct 2002, 09:12
Surely if you're visual with the field as you go downwind you would rather make a visual approach than be taken out to 10 miles to intercept the ILS?

As others have said, a visual approach is less work than intercepting and following an ILS with no autopilot.

Hooligan Bill
9th Oct 2002, 09:13
It can sometimes cut down significantly on the number of track miles flown to touchdown, hence saving fuel and time. As a controller the inbounds I like are the ones that on first contact state they are visual and request a visual approach, this cuts my workload :)

SE7EN
9th Oct 2002, 09:52
I agree with eyeinthesky and Hooligan Bill. A visual is most useful from a downwind or a base leg position to reduce track miles to touch down. However, I have often seen a visual requested during a straight in approach and this invariably results in a longer time to touchdown. This is due to the variables involved in configuring the aircraft for landing. Configuring can usually be performed later and more accurately on an ILS approach.

quid
10th Oct 2002, 04:34
mike-

I agree that a visual usually saves time and workload for both the pilot and controller. Especially if it's anything other than a straight-in.

HB-

As a controller, do you have to protect the missed approach areas for an ILS? Where in a visual approach you don't?

Hooligan Bill
10th Oct 2002, 08:18
Quid

As a controller, do you have to protect the missed approach areas for an ILS? Where in a visual approach you don't?

In the UK at least, aircraft executing visual approaches still have to be provided with the appropriate standard separation against other aircraft. While the chances are that an aircraft on such an approach would continue into a visual circuit following a missed approach, it is still technically an instrument approach and therefore you have to take into account that in the event of a go-around the full missed approach procedure may be carried out. There did used to be an 'approach maintaining VMC' where responsibility for separation rested with the pilot, but this was withdrawn a number of years ago.

mcdhu
10th Oct 2002, 08:51
It's a bit of a trap for the unwary, this. Story. I recall, in the late 60s, at edi which was totally procedural then, a Bea Guardsvan going o/b on the ils on a nice sunny Saturday. ''Bealine xxx,'' he says, ''we'd like to cancel ifr and join visually.'' ''Roger,'' says the approach controller, ''ifr cancelled at ....hrs, contact the twr on .....''. Nigel does this, and his request to join is greeted with:''Bealinexxxx, you are clear to join for r/w 13, 5 in, call downwind!!''
I learned about flying from this! It may seem obvious,but always check the state of the visual cct before comitting ourself to a visual. The ils may cost you a few mins, but it can save a lot of heartache in a big aeroplane.
Cheers,
mcdhu

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Oct 2002, 19:42
Ahh Visual Approach. I remember reading about those when I trained... then when I got to Heathrow I was vectoring a BOAC VC10 downwind for easterlies and as he passed abeam the field he asked if he could do a Visual. He was #1 so I agreed... He flew the longest visual approach I have ever seen - way out to 20 miles plus! Somebody sitting next to me said: "That'll learn ya!" Seriously, it's good when we can let you do them but it doesn't happen too often nowadays.

saudipc-9
10th Oct 2002, 21:08
I would say that the choice would depend on a number of factors

a. Familiar with the airfield and surrounding area's? There have been many occasions when flying into a new airfield I would take an ILS just because I wanted to make sure I found the place.

b. Number of runways? Some airports have a large nunber of intersecting runways and I have found myself going for a overhead break to the wrong one. Very red faced trying to fix it on the down wind.

c. Is it VMC day or night? Safer to take the ILS if as above I am not familiar with the airfield or trying to find it at night. Also obstacles are worth thinking about. Is the airfield surrounded by nothing or in the middle of a city?

Many different situations and airmanship says take the option which is safest and you are less likely to screw up:p

Earthmover
11th Oct 2002, 01:32
Well in my job, it's a feature of everyday life - little provincial airfields don't have too much in the way of equipment - I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't really enjoy switching all the gizmos off and doing it raw - keeps our skills up and makes damn good handling pilots of the junior F/Os. Builds their confidence, too. I love it!

mstram
11th Oct 2002, 06:10
In severe clear, to an airport you're very familiar with, I'd be surprised if any pilot wouldn't prefer a visual. If I ever get in a jet simulator, a normal takeoff, normal circuit, would be the first thing I'd want to fly. :)

I've occasionaly heard, very late at night, approach control at CYYZ issue a visual clearance to an inbound even before they are downwind. Doesn't happen too often, usually they don't give a visual clearance till base leg, as there's almost always other traffic.

I asked the same question on another forum, and it was also mentioned there, about not having to fly out for a 10 mile final. ...Though at CYYZ they have a noise restriction of 3000' (2400 agl) until final, which dictates around a 7 mi final I guess.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR,

The guy doing the 20 mile final, sounds like maybe he was a relatively new pilot .... going by the way people are taught to land 172's and 152's these days :eek:

Mike

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Oct 2002, 16:15
mstram said: <<The guy doing the 20 mile final, sounds like maybe he was a relatively new pilot .... going by the way people are taught to land 172's and 152's these days >>

No, on the contrary I think he was elderly with a goatee beard, etc, etc. There were a lot of those around in BOAC!!