PDA

View Full Version : Man vs. Machine

Lax Pax
8th Oct 2002, 20:03
Because aviation interests me, and I frequently fly as a passenger, I pay attention to the details of the approach and touchdown of each flight I take. And at the end of each flight I always wonder who actually landed the aircraft: pilot or autoland.

Hence my question. Is there any way we in the back of the plane can, with some degree of accuracy, discern an autoland from a hands-on landing? Any cues or conditions I should be looking for (assuming, of course, that the aircraft is equipped with autoland)? Not an important question, but, hey, it's the Internet.

Thanks in advance.

RadarContact
9th Oct 2002, 11:26
Autolands are usually used only in poor weather/visibility conditions or for training purposes. So listening to the passenger announcement from the cockpit with the weather update might give you a clue... :)

Also, assuming the pilot flying has had a reasonable experience on type, hand-flown landings are usually softer. ;)

Nah, honestly: You'd probably have to ask to be sure.

wobblyprop
9th Oct 2002, 12:08
quote from 'Human performance and Limitations' notes

The computer does better those things the pilot can already do. But, it cannot do those things the pilot would like to do.

I wonder how true this is ;)