PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow and LTCC West Drayton visit, Sat Dec 14th.

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 06:45
Just been offered 6 places for a visit to Heathrow tower AND LTCC at West Drayton. The plan is to do Heathrow in the morning then West Drayton in the afternoon with a 'de-brief' in a pub later on. We are looking at mid to late November at the moment for this. Usual rules apply, names out of the 'magic hat' not first come first served. :)

Names below please.............

Evo
7th Oct 2002, 07:01
I'm in. Think I need it :)

Wycombe
7th Oct 2002, 07:45
Yes please BRL (but as I'm on the list for the EGWW visit aswell, I'll scratch myself from this one if I come out of the hat for that one, and vice versa :) ).

Please let it be after 18th Nov (sunning myself in the Caribbean for the first part of the Month :cool: :cool: )

rustle
7th Oct 2002, 08:00
Pick me, pick me :)

Can I fly in?

Select Zone Five
7th Oct 2002, 08:02
Can I come please? :cool:

eveepee
7th Oct 2002, 08:09
Can I go "in the hat" too please. Same rules as Wycombe apply of course, but I can go anytime. :)

Penguina
7th Oct 2002, 12:40
Ooh yes please, put me in the hat! But like Wycome, I won't be greedy if I accidentally get picked for both.

Fred
7th Oct 2002, 13:11
I would like to be apply, thank you.

Aussie Andy
7th Oct 2002, 13:14
Very very keen - but must be a weekend for me...

... and ask them for a landing slot at EGLL, would be fun to fly in in the Dakota :eek: :)

drauk
7th Oct 2002, 13:20
Yes please. Ditto comments concerning both visits.

7th Oct 2002, 13:27
.... me too!

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 13:39
Will have a date for this very soon. As for it being a weekend, thats out of my hands i am afraid, I will ask now and see if thats ok for a weekend.

Anyone can go to this even if you have been to one before. Just get your name down here. Luck of the draw as they say. :)

iainpoll
7th Oct 2002, 13:44
Stick me name down please mate:)

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 13:46
..................by the way, if your sick of seeing too many 'Tower visit' threads, this is the last one from me I promise..... :)

singaporegirl
7th Oct 2002, 13:46
yes please

Select Zone Five
7th Oct 2002, 14:11
Awww...don't say that BRL I'm waiting for someone to offer a Kennedy Tower visit! :D

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 14:13
Nahh, Kennedy Tower? We were there last year and its boring :p

Grim Reaper 14
7th Oct 2002, 14:25
Yerse ploys.;)

Crossedcontrols
7th Oct 2002, 18:16
Yes please.

And thanks for the headsup WF
CC

ModernDinosaur
7th Oct 2002, 18:30
Another name for the hat please, BRL.

Cheers,

MD.

Min Sink
7th Oct 2002, 18:30
Oh please pick me :)

Cusco
7th Oct 2002, 18:57
Sir,sir, please sir, me sir!

Yours in anticipation

Trinity 09L
7th Oct 2002, 19:19
& another name for the hat, + a donation to the fund if succesful!:p

Saab Dastard
7th Oct 2002, 20:40
I'm on a roll - put me in the hat please BRL

Ta

iainpoll
7th Oct 2002, 20:42
Grim Reaper,

If your name comes out of the hat, can we go drinking again???:D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Grim Reaper 14
8th Oct 2002, 15:46
You must have me confused with someone else, I've never touched a drop in me life. I thank you. ;)

EyesToTheSkies
8th Oct 2002, 16:52
Yes please!! Weekday included.

samson.
8th Oct 2002, 19:34
Yes please, BRL!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
8th Oct 2002, 20:45
Moi aussi, svp.

rustle
8th Oct 2002, 21:15
BRL,

I believe RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike should be withdrawn from the hat, because he/she obviously didn't RTFM.

ENGLISH is the language for RT and this is a discussion about visiting EGLL tower/LTCC :D

LowNSlow
8th Oct 2002, 23:51
I can't make it, I'll be freezing me bum off in Kaz.

BRL, you cannot stop being the most proactive (God I hate that word but it is appropriate here) mod bod. Keep it up. :D

Lost_luggage34
9th Oct 2002, 07:10
Have missed previous threads regarding ATC visits, so probably a daft question ... are there any special criteria to be eligible to put a name in the hat ?

If not please include me !

Been years since I had a visit to Heathrow ATC. Was lucky enough back then to be shown round the Tower !

Many thanks

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
9th Oct 2002, 09:20
[laughs] :D

I believe RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike should be withdrawn from the hat, because he/she obviously didn't RTFM.

ENGLISH is the language for RT and this is a discussion about visiting EGLL tower/LTCC

And there I was thinking that it would lift the tedium of all the "me toos". But not quite that way

:)

hasell
9th Oct 2002, 10:20
Hey Guys & Gals,
This is one visit you wont regret. G-SXTY and I went last time. (Feb 2002). Had a great day out (esp. the tower at LHR). Despite the horizontal rain the views from the tower are/were priceless :)

Enjoy!

H.

Who has control?
9th Oct 2002, 12:21
Er.. excuse me.. but is this the right thread for a Heathrow visit?

I would ask you to put my name down BRL, but I'd rather you picked it up :)

PFLsAgain
9th Oct 2002, 12:34
Me too please! Any chance it's on a weekend?

BRL
9th Oct 2002, 14:21
Lost_luggage34 Have missed previous threads regarding ATC visits, so probably a daft question ... are there any special criteria to be eligible to put a name in the hat ?

No special criteria other than to be a regular poster on the Private Flying Forum. A ppl or at least be taking lessons would be an advantage too. There is a good vibe on the forum at the moment, what i want is to make this as interactive a forum as i can. By arranging these days out, it keeps it close, if it was thrown open to all forums then it would be a nightmare to sort out, and there would be way too many people wanting to go, hence the visits only being open to this forum. Oh, and if your a spotter, well, you have more chance of flying to the moon.... :D :D

PFLsAgain, Not sure we have a choice yet as to weekend or weekday, its just when they tell us we can go. :)

Who has control, wait and see ;)

Student-Pilot-UK
12th Oct 2002, 17:55
Please could you add my name to the list, sounds good.

pilotwolf
12th Oct 2002, 20:00
Me too - if I fit the requirements!

brockenspectre
12th Oct 2002, 21:05
please!

OK, so I know i am off to Luton next Friday and to want LHR too might be considered greedy but ... I could pretend that I will write up a comparison of Luton vs Heathrow couldn't I???

Just kidding - I would love, one day, to see LHR and West Drayton but .... if I am not picked I will graciously understand why!!

:D :D :D

Cruise Contrail
14th Oct 2002, 14:26
Here's another one for the visit lottery :)

Count me in !

Bluebeard2
14th Oct 2002, 22:15
Yes please BRL!:D

Papa Charlie
15th Oct 2002, 14:38
Ooooo please sir, me, me ! :)

rustle
17th Oct 2002, 16:16
BRL,

Any news on when you're going to draw the "winners" of this?

TIA

TheKentishFledgling
17th Oct 2002, 16:40
Have been around the Heathrow tower and radar rooms (under the tower) before - very interesting! Those that get the places - lucky you, and enjoy :D

tKF

BRL
17th Oct 2002, 16:51
Rustle I am waiting to hear back about a certain date before i do the draw. In order to get a weekend, it might be mid-december but i hope we can do a mid-week one much sooner. The 2 guys helping us here have to have to be both off at the same time and that is not easy to sort out. As soon as i know i will post back here. :)

positionand hold
24th Oct 2002, 12:01
Wot, LHR Tower AND LTCC??? Not arf or yes please - whichever gets the desired result.

And WF, don't even think about not posting any more threads like this please!

Holryn
24th Oct 2002, 13:09
BRL,

Please put my name in the hat.

I've always wondered what it's like on 'the other side of the mike'.

BRL
24th Oct 2002, 13:56
I am still waiting to hear back for a positive date for this. One of the blokes is out of the country for a while so please be patient. As soon as i find out more i will post the details here. :)

152small
24th Oct 2002, 14:27
Don't know if I qualify with 2 posts (well 3 including this!) but if so stick us down.

Don't know how they'd react with 2 scousers in the tower. Usual jokes about "whose nicked the radar" bound to come up :D

152small

lancer1
24th Oct 2002, 17:46
Please include me in the draw

SteveQB
24th Oct 2002, 18:05
I would love to go in the draw as well please.

Getting more specific (don't think I am ungrateful for the opportunity) but wouldn't be great to be there around 11am, and see the greatest plane of all line up and light the afterburners (sorry, reheat) and roar into the sky?

Cheers

Steve

Baily
24th Oct 2002, 18:07
Yes please; and me

paulo
24th Oct 2002, 21:40
Yeah yeah... Hey, we can even play the "lose all your fellow visitors" cross country pub chase game afterwards. :)

Lost_luggage34
30th Oct 2002, 11:32
Any news about dates/times ? And when is the draw taking place ?

DOC.400
30th Oct 2002, 16:28
Mememememe please!

Martini (anywhere, anytime)

DOC

charlie-india-mike
30th Oct 2002, 17:17
Can I go too please!!!

Grafter
30th Oct 2002, 21:38
Count me in, i'm up for it....:D

Easy226
31st Oct 2002, 21:33
Add me to the draw too- I'd love to see how the whole system works! (PPL Student - 17 hours!)
Dan

CPilotUK
1st Nov 2002, 18:20
Hi Big Red ' L ',

I am currently training for my PPL. Please count me in.

Thanks

CPilotUK

BRL
1st Nov 2002, 22:48
Ok, you are all in 'the hat'. No probs. Won't be too long now before i get a date for this.

In the meantime, some of you may be interested in THIS. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70246)

BRL
18th Nov 2002, 08:56
Good news, the date for this will be Sat Dec 14th
Its going to be LATCC in the morning then Heathrow tower in the afternoon.
Names will be pulled out later today or tommorrow as i am quite busy here for the time being. Watch this space. :)

Who has control?
18th Nov 2002, 11:32
14th Dec? This is the day after the night before. :(

BRL
18th Nov 2002, 17:18
Ok, here is the list. The draw was just made using a plastic box with all the names in from this thread. Some of you have been to other visits. Thats just the luck of the draw i suppose. Anyway, here we are, the names in no particular order.........

Myself
RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
paulo
Penguina
Wycombe
Grim Reaper14
:)
Look in your pms you lot, I will want a reply asap.
Thanks to all who showed interest here.

CPilotUK
18th Nov 2002, 17:22
Well, better luck next time.

For those who are successful; I hope you enjoy the day out.

Aussie Andy
18th Nov 2002, 17:46
Sadly I can't make Sat 14th... because I am off home to Australia for Christmas leave, departing LHR on Thursday 12th December.. :( So someone else should be given my spot...

CPilotUK
18th Nov 2002, 17:49
Can I take your place?

BRL
18th Nov 2002, 17:52
Cheers Andy, thanks for letting us know quickly.

I have just stuck my hand in the bin in the kitchen where the names went after the draw and pulled out this name......
RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike Your in mate, watch your PM's........ :)

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2002, 20:15
AAAARRGGGHHH

The only day I can't make it!!! I'm working that day, s*d it :mad:

Still, can't complain as I went to Gatwick.

BRL, you'd better put your hand back into the bin and rummage through the teabags and tin cans to find a replacement. If you can't find them then I know that Doc400 would like to go...

Thanks - Y'all have a good time now!

SD

BRL
18th Nov 2002, 20:20
Wycombe
Come on Doooooooooooooooooown.........!!

iainpoll
18th Nov 2002, 20:40
Guys, really chuffed to be pulled out of the hat, but with the drinkies the week before, me studies are gonna get behind, and as I went to Luton, if Big Red has more names in the hat, maybe draw another.....sorry...enjoy.

Iain

Grim Reaper 14
19th Nov 2002, 11:51
Bad news for you all I'm afraid........

I'm going!! ;) :p

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
19th Nov 2002, 12:07
Brilliant !

Thanks very much BRL, details on their way :D

PPRuNe Radar
19th Nov 2002, 14:17
How come your name came out the hat BRL ??? ;)

rustle
20th Nov 2002, 07:59
By my reckoning (ded/dead or otherwise) there is a spare place going.

Last post from Iain said he couldn't make it...

PFLsAgain
20th Nov 2002, 11:20
Rustle - you took the words out of my keyboard! Still in the hat - hint, hint.....
:D

Penguina
20th Nov 2002, 16:13
Ooh I'm excited! Didn't really expect to get picked!

BRL
21st Nov 2002, 11:04
Next name out of the 'bin' is Paulo

paulo I will need to know by Tommorow, Friday(22nd) 5pm at the latest or 1 other will be called to go. Check your PMs.

rustle
21st Nov 2002, 11:24
BRL,

I'm confused.

Wycombe seems to have been drawn twice, so does that mean there is still another vacancy?

I refer to your posts thus:

Ok, here is the list. The draw was just made using a plastic box with all the names in from this thread. Some of you have been to other visits. Thats just the luck of the draw i suppose. Anyway, here we are, the names in no particular order.........

Myself

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike

Ian Poll

Penguina

Wycombe

Grim Reaper14

Followed shortly by:

Wycombe
Come on Doooooooooooooooooown.........!!

(When SD said he couldn't make it)

Edited to say:

Forget the above gibberish - it seems BRL is FAR cleverer than that and edits the original list each time. DOH

BRL
21st Nov 2002, 13:06
Phew, you had me confused for a min then.!!!!! Thought i was going mad. Your not Richard in disguise are you??? :D

Dubs dunno why that is.!!! I think my name being in the 'hat' about 400 times helps ;)

Wycombe
21st Nov 2002, 22:23
BRL - I'm here (but it was close :eek: ) and I can go - Fab.

Sorry for keeping you all on tenterhooks, but as I mentioned when originally requesting my place I've been taking some sun and cocktails in the Caribbean for a few weeks and missed the vote (also, never imagined I'd come out of the hat :D ).

Many thanks to "Wycombe's mate" who called me tonight to advise that I should get online and accept soonest.

Looking forward to it already. PM replied to.

BRL
21st Nov 2002, 22:56
Ok thanks. Now we need to get in touch with paulo quick. I have lost his number so if anyone out there knows it can you please give him a bell for us. Ta.... :)

BRL
29th Nov 2002, 22:23
Blimey, In all the excitement of christmas I almost forgotten about this.....
Anyway, here we go, in place of the elusive paulo.....

Cusco
Get off that tractor and get me your details asap.... :)

Cusco
29th Nov 2002, 22:36
+Oh Sh*t

I'd kinda ruled myself out of this one, having applied very late in the day, and having done the Luton visit with Steve: sorry Lew Ton.

Mrs Cusco has now arranged a works Xmas bash at Cusco Towers for the 14th and its a three line whip for Cusco.

really sorry about this: I've tried to organise similar things in the day job and have got really p*ssed off by the late drop out rate, and here I am doing the same thing.

B R L sorry to stand you up :I'm sure you'll find a replacement: but if ever you find yourself daft enough to organise a similar visit ,
I'm still game.

Safe Flying

BRL
29th Nov 2002, 22:41
Ok, thank you sir.......

Singaporegirl please check your PM's.... :) (fingers crossed) :)

singaporegirl
30th Nov 2002, 11:16
:( :( :(

BRL,

I'm due to fly out of Heathrow at 1345 on 14 December. Can I squeeze in a tower visit before that? :eek:

If not, you'll have to offer it to another eager beaver; I'm sure there are still plenty of takers...

paulo
30th Nov 2002, 16:25
I'm here I'm here, alright already. Yes. Please. Thankyou sir. :D

BRL
30th Nov 2002, 19:49
Paulo You lucky barsteward.....!!!!!

Send me the details please..... :)

singaporegirl
30th Nov 2002, 22:56
Oh well, better luck next time. Hope you guys all enjoy it. Just don't do anything to distract controllers talking to EK0002...:eek:

FlyingForFun
15th Dec 2002, 19:44
A huge Thank You to BRL for organising an amazing day out... And also to ATCO Two who was our sponsor at Heathrow, and to our sponsor at West Drayton whose PPRuNe handle I've forgotten...

Once I'd shaken off the GatBash hangover courtesy of a wonderful Holiday Inn fry-up, BRL picked me up from Gatwick and we drove round to West Drayton to meet the rest of the gang at the LTCC security office. Formalities were quickly sorted out, and we went off to watch a video which followed a flight as it entered the London area (somewhere north of Birmingham I think!), got put into the hold, and was then vectored onto final at LHR.

The video was a huge help in understanding the mass of aircraft moving around the radar screens once we into the control room. What was initially a mass of green blobs slowly started to take shape as we equated what we were seeing on the screens with what we saw on the video. The we started to combine the radar information with the flight strips to get the full picture, and before long we thought we'd all be able to make pretty good controllers! Unfortunately, the real controllers need 400 hours before they're allowed to work alone, so we still had a little way to go.....

The we went off to D&D, where we got to see all the hi-tech stuff (and some pretty lo-tech stuff too!) which they use to help us out when we call them on 121.5. The main message was that they are there to help, and not be scared of calling. Very friendly and helpful in real life - just like they are on the radio.

We piled into our cars for the short drive to Heathrow, where we met up with Penguina (who didn't join us at LTCC due to an alarm-clock failure ;)) and met ATCO Two. He told us about all the work which goes on at Heathrow - including Thames Radar, London Radar and Heathrow Tower amongst others - as well as reviewing the kind of services which they can provide us, the private pilots who fly in and around their area. Their big message was that, if we're uncertain of our position, we must call them so that can help us out - it can cost huge amounts of money if we get somewhere we're not supposed to be and don't ask for help. But he also talked about all the LARS services which are available, and what he, personally, is doing to ensure that we continue to get the services we need.

After that, it was time for a bit of a guided tour (moving very quickly past the AIS offices where the NOTAMs are produced! :D) and into the radar rooms. The displays were very similar to those at West Drayton, only round instead of square! While we were there, a helicoptor called up asking for clearance for one of the heli-routes, so we followed his progress as the controller liased with all the other agencies to ensure he had a safe passage through the zone. It was very enlightening to be told that every single departure from London City requires 5 telephone calls to ensure that the airpsace is available - the skies over London are very crowded!

There was time for a quick visit to the tower at Heathrow. The lighting panel was pretty spectacular, not to mention the ease with which the controllers moved aircraft around on the ground and ensured that departures and arrivals happened safely. Plus we got to go out onto the balcony - the view from up there really puts the public viewing gallery on top of terminal 2 to shame!

So, once again, thanks to everyone who made it possible.

FFF
------------

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
15th Dec 2002, 20:30
FFF has said it all, but just to add my bit...

A big thanks to BRL for arranging the visit, and to Warped Factor (the name you were looking for, FFF :) ) and ATCO Two for a very enjoyable and very informative day :cool:

The motely crew at Heathrow... :)

http://pprune.ballooning.org.uk/pprune-heathrow.jpg

Wycombe
16th Dec 2002, 11:14
....yep, thanks from me aswell, great hospitality from WF & ATCO2 and a really interesting visit. All this stuff fascinates me (as you might have guessed ;) ), I could have sat and watched the screens all day.

Pity that the weather was so naff and there wasn't much VFR traffic about in the FIR for us to look at - would love to see what it looks like around and under the LTMA on a Summer Sunday.

Penguina
16th Dec 2002, 13:13
Looks like the motion's carried - even the dappy blonde with the seriously substandard alarm clock can verify that what she did manage to see was dead interesting and informative and that the view was great... And I think ATCO2 did extremely well to hold our attention given what there was to see behind us!

Many thanks to all the organisers and in return for their hospitality I solemnly vow never to be coy about misplacing a landmark again - I'll be on the radio talking to them straight away next time I'm temporarily unsure...

Select Zone Five
16th Dec 2002, 13:50
Thanks for that account of the day FFF. I wish I'd been picked :( The only towers I've been in were Chichester and Lydd on my QXC; interesting in their own way ;) but I'm sure the LTCC and Heathrow Tower are about as impressive as it gets!

I'll just have to sit around here waiting for the next opportunity to arise (hopefully one will!) :p

drauk
16th Dec 2002, 21:26
FFF provided an informative description of the visit, but I didn't see his name on the list of those that were attending. How does that work then?

FlyingForFun
17th Dec 2002, 08:33
Damn, rumbled.

Actually, it was due to a last-minute drop-out at a late stage when BRL didn't have time to post here, see who was available, get their passport number and other details, and send those details to the security office at LTCC in time. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Apologies to all those who weren't so lucky. ATCO Two did say that he'd like to arrange these visits on a more regular basis, maybe every 3 months or so, so I'm sure there will be other chances - and if you get a chance, then take it!

FFF
-------------

BRL
19th Dec 2002, 12:37
drauk
Hi. The reason for FFF getting in was as he says a 'last minute' thing. One dropped out and I had to get a replacement quick. The security details need to be sent off to whoever at least a week before we go so they can check out who we are. I already had FFFs details from the gatwick visit and sent them off knowing he wouldn't mind going. I had literaly one hour before the 'deadline' so I couldn't post on the thread if you see what i mean. :)

There may well be future visits. Atco2 mentioned another one in 3 months time so keep an eye out for that.

The visit itself was ace. Can't really add more to what the others have posted here but the whole thing was just fantastic. Massive thanks for our two sponsors for letting us lose and givng us a really interesting tour of both places. I felt really privileged to be there seeing it from the point of view that not many of the 'ordinary joe-public' get to see. Watching the spotters on top of terminal 2 made me feel even more lucky to be there. Had a great day there and it was good to meet new faces as well.
Keep an eye open for the next one in a few months time.