PDA

View Full Version : a/c eyebrow windows

Squawk7777
7th Oct 2002, 01:49
What is or was the purpose of those windows? Early jet aircraft had 'em - Boeing, Douglas, Vickers, Ilyushin. One all modern aircraft they're gone with the exception of the 737NG. Was it all about visibility?

Can the newer generation look out better? :D

7 7 7 7

eyeinthesky
7th Oct 2002, 09:35
I seem to remember a thread on here a few months back which decided that it was to do with improving visibility in turns, particularly when making visual approaches.

dv8
7th Oct 2002, 09:48
It helps when your in the base leg turn (In the LHS and a left hand circuit) It allows you to see the R/W without the ducking down head movement to see the R/W out of the top of the side window

B737CL/NG_Mech
7th Oct 2002, 09:49
HY,

A few months I read the the newly manufactured 717 will leave the factory line without the small eyebrow windows. Boeing came to the conclusion that they´re not needed any more. I think it was all abaut visibility. But on the other end it makes the "face" of an A/C. I´ve seen many times pilots covering this windows with newspapers during day operation because the sun dazzled their eyes. So in my opinion the need is less than the side effect but it makes the planes distinguishable.

yours,