PDA

View Full Version : First Solo

sloany
5th Oct 2002, 10:38
All,
I haven't posted for a while as I am waiting for positive news on certain things in the aviation industry, those who know me or have followed some of my posts will know what I am talking about. But I wanted to share my thrill of going solo for the first time yesterday..it was amazing and for all those who are considering flying go for it you will never get a feeling like it.
This is part of a mail I have sent to some friends.

"Had an amazing day yesterday down at the airfield, I was due to carrying on doing circuits around the airfield, landing in different scenarios (flapless and glide), problems with engine failures etc which I duely did and had a great time. When we landed at the end of the sessione we where taxing along the instuctor called up the tower and said "Captain x will now be departing for a solo!!!" sh!t me, I looked at him in pure shock which turned to horror then pure adrenaline excitement, he then asked me how I was feeling, tad nervous I replied but I will be OK. So he taxied to the holding area and jumped out of the plane. It was pretty quite in the cockpit then for a while, I composed myself then set about the checks and taxied towards the runway radioing in for clearance which I was given. I rolled onto the runway thinking oh my god (same way that dizzy bird out of friends does) and put the throttle to 2000rpm last checks t's and P's then released the brakes before charging down the runway at full power, no turning back now.
The next bit was a bit of a blur as the plane shot into the sky reaching 800ft before I knew it. As I was going around the circuit I remember looking to one side and thinking "bloooody helll" not in a panicy way but a realisation I was in sole command of the plane. My approach was OK and the landing was pretty good, not the best I had done that day but for the first solo attempt I was more than happy. The tower congratulated me on my solo and when I parked up the instructor said well done and handed me a cold stella, which shot down so quickly. "

To me it was a huge boost, especially due to the events of the last year and I now have got a lot of work to do to get in the LHS of a jet. As they say you have to crawl before you can run!!
I can now say that I am a pilot, and that is a great feeling.

Take it easy
Sloany
:cool:

Bagelman
5th Oct 2002, 14:56
Sloany,

Well done, made me remember my first solo. You'll be happy to know that the smile factor still remains, I was grinning like an idiot when I first flew a twin! Anyway well done again enjoy the rest of your training.

zulu10
5th Oct 2002, 15:17
Congrats sloany,

I also went solo, today in fact.
I am still smiling and if my wife did not know me ,she would say I am having an affair.The feeling is awsome and at one moment on downwind I thought to myself 'this is what its all been for ,all those years of dreaming and wishing to fly and now here I am.A brief moment indeed as I struggled to recall the downwind checks.

Now, its time to hit the bar although I am sapped from that 10 minutes of magic!

sloany
6th Oct 2002, 15:21
Thanks for the good wishes guys, and congrats to you to Zulu10. Still grinning, even a hangover can't stop it! here's to more solo flying!
Sloany
:cool:

Gazeem
6th Oct 2002, 22:15
Well done, on your first solo guys,

its a great feeling, both the nerves on downwind and the relief(!) on landing safely,

good luck with the rest of your PPLs.