PDA

View Full Version : Camera allowed during t/o & landing?

EyesToTheSkies
3rd Oct 2002, 19:54
When the cabin announcement is made stating no electronic equipment (eg Walkman's / PC's), does this also include a stills camera with auto wind? I've actually asked the cabin crew a couple of times and they said it was OK, but I still feel unconvinced.

Is it generally radiating / receiving equipment which is the danger, or all electronic equipment?

RadarContact
3rd Oct 2002, 20:45
If you go by the letter of the law you'd have to turn your camera off. Any other than pure mechanical cameras would be "electronic equipment".

But.
Since the electronics in most cameras - apart from digital ones - are no more complex than a digital wristwatch, there shouldn`t be any problems using them during the entire flight. Even digital cameras hardly ever cause any troubles.

Volume
4th Oct 2002, 01:02
VERRY good question, the electronic circuits in cameras should be no problem, but I've seen 'professional' photographers using the flashlight, and that discharge might well disturb the aircraft's electronics.
Don't know who decides what is allowed and what not, seems to be not the avionic guys from the authority. I talked to them, and they were never asked.

radeng
4th Oct 2002, 07:54
The CAA Airworthiness people have accepted that hearing aids using extremely low power radio at around 800MHz are OK. One piece of portable electronic equipment that can't be turned off, of course, is a pacemaker!

Fright Level
4th Oct 2002, 18:22
If you saw a "photographer" using flash through an aircraft window, then he wouldn't have been professional! Almost all of the flash would have been reflected back.

I can see no problem using any sort of camera during t/o or landing. The discharge from a flash would be no worse than nearby lightning discharge unlike the type of continuous EMF radiated by transmitters, GPS receivers etc.

amanoffewwords
4th Oct 2002, 22:29
Too right! It is far easier to take pictures from within the cabin. :D

exeng
4th Oct 2002, 22:47
In certain countries (some European) it is an offence to take photographs from the air.

Regards
Exeng

A Very Civil Pilot
5th Oct 2002, 23:24
The lists of prohibitted electrical equipment at critical stages of flight go down to calculators, pacemakers and watches. How anyone is going to make you turn them off (or even know) is a different matter.

I've done (EFIS) ILS approaches with no problems, and then found that my phone has been on the whole time.

gofer
6th Oct 2002, 07:25
Very many countries forbid the use of camera's of any form on their airport territories and from the air.

Always found that strange, because that must mean that either American Satellites are performing and illegal act (only 1 ?) and/or anybody accessing a library with such data is also then illegal in those countries.;)

VS-075
6th Oct 2002, 11:54
What about video cameras:confused:

Captain Airclues
6th Oct 2002, 15:47
Did you know that in-flight photography is prohibited by law over Belgium?

WHY ?

Airclues

411A
6th Oct 2002, 22:25
Answer...
Because those from Belgium are strange critters indeed???
OK, Airclues?;)