PDA

View Full Version : Scattering ashes from aircraft

bottieburp
1st Oct 2002, 02:15
The CAA seem happy for this to be done but don't issue any guidelines.

If you are squeamish - skip this!

My experiences last week were... well... unpleasant.

Off to a Southern airfield in my vintage cabrio I met up with a friend who had the mortal remains of his chum in a carrier bag. He had learned on my (now) rare type just after the war.

I had been told by others that whatever precautions I took, I would end up with ash in the cockpit.

Not me!

Armed with a big roll of gaffer tape I stuck the bag to a nice new stout cardboard map tube. I then fashioned a 'handle' with more tape on the bottom of the bag - voila!

Next thing - I stuck my mate in the back and we rehearsed the drop. Foolproof!

Off we went - first pass - 'go!' Followed by 'hows it going?'

'OK - but they havent all come out. THere's some left.'

'No problem, we'll go round again'

Second pass - same thing followed by a stony silence from the rear cockpit.

'Er - the tube's split.'

(Groan) ' Is there any ash in the cockpit?'

'......A bit on my lap'.

Well - you have never seen anything like it. He was absolutely smothered. I tried to wipe his goggles so he could at least see to get out but the ash wouldn't wipe off. Wierd that. It was like household plaster. My plane was completely trashed in immoveable grey.

Our deceased aviator mostly ended up in a vacuum cleaner.

What went wrong?

Turns out that his ashes had been kicking around in a leaking car boot for the previous 3 months and were wet.

I thought the bag felt a bit heavier than the usual fire-grate remnants....

Anybody else out there had any experience in this??

formationfoto
1st Oct 2002, 07:54
As I read it the CAA require an exemption application for this purpose but are happy to provide. As for the practicalities it seems you went about it in a well organised manner only to be caught out by unexpected 'dampness'. I have seen this done from a Tiger Moth and there is still some evidence of the remains in the furthest recesses of the cockpit. In that case it as simply leaning over the side and emptying the urn. The trick to avoid too much 'blowback' was to cross controls so that there was no airflow into the 'drop' side.

Dan Winterland
1st Oct 2002, 10:02
Had to organise a similar event as part of a secondary duty in the RAF. Ashes were dispensed only to stick to the side of the aircraft despite use of max sideslip. Pilot diverted to nearby airfield for a quick 'hosedown' before RTB to greet funeral party and grieving family.

The majority of the deceased ended up going down the drains rather than being dispersed over the countryside he loved.

Similar stories of people who have been 'buried at sea' via sonar buoy dropped by a Nimrod have also lead to disaster.

A request that should be handled with discretion IMHO.

(Names and places omitted to protect the innocent!)

sennadog
1st Oct 2002, 16:50
My apologies but I burst out laughing when I read this post. I could have told you how difficult this would be from my experiences with my old man when he died a few years ago.

We weren't that adventurous and decided on the local cricket pitch but being a windy day it was potentially traumatic. All was going well with the ashes spreading nicely downwind on the wicket when the real Senna dog (who was a puppy at the time) decided that this looked like a great game and decided to play a game of chase.

The best advice that I can offer is not to be too adventurous. IMO an aircraft is not a good idea.

:)

matspart3
1st Oct 2002, 19:01
One of the flying clubs at my airfield does this every so often, using a C172. The technique involves wrapping the ashes in a small parachute (approx 4' diameter). Said 'chute is then dropped from the window, and the ashes scatter as the 'chute deploys. Apparently, there is usually some 'residue' in the chute, which is tastefully dealt with when the parachute is recovered. A 'Dropping of articles' (and possibly a Rule 5) Exemption is issued by the CAA.
Worked quite successfully when I saw it done last summer. (RIP Mike)

steamchicken
2nd Oct 2002, 13:28
Shortly after my grandmother died, my father transported her ashes from Hertfordshire to West Yorkshire to inter them (by manual excavation!). This was done because transporting a body renders you liable to a hefty tax from each and every local authority you cross with it. To get to the point - approaching home he was running early and felt a thirst coming on, so pulled into a passing pub for a pint of Tetley's mind relaxant. Taking the Tesco's carrier bag with granny in it with him! At the bar, as he supped and watched the cricket, a pubster asked what was in the bag. "My mother." "Yer having a laugh!" "Take a look.."

*and the pub went quiet*

The ashes, by the way, were at least in a casket, not loose. Perhaps the answer is a casket fused for air burst..

Daifly
2nd Oct 2002, 18:23
Heard a variation on this theme the other day which too, sadly, made me laugh...! But then I'm sure the pilot who was scattered would've thought the same.

Same principle, bag thing fashioned out of plastic speedtaped to side of a/c and then released with the aid of a wire through the DV window of an Aztec. Sure enough all goes to plan (thankfully as wife and kid were on board!) and everyone departs the airport happily (well, sadly, but you know what I mean...)

Cut to pilot walking around to other side of aircraft only to find all of said pilot smeared all over the tail!!

Final resting place, the a/c wash bay at XXXXXXXX!

I bet he laughed though!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
2nd Oct 2002, 23:04
I'm given to understand from a friend that it works quite successfully from a hot-air balloon...

READY MESSAGE
5th Oct 2002, 22:38
Had the experience of flying such a detail about 3 months ago. Was quite moving as the chap tipped his fathers remains out of the DV window of a PA28 with a vicar in the back reading a psalm. He did struggle to get the ashes moving at first stating, 'he always was a stubborn old ******!' All went well until we got a huge dose of blowback and aircraft & occupants were covered in ash! I did feel a little guilty leaving the aircraft with the engineer when we landed telling him it needed hoovering!

It provided a variation from the normal 'how many times did you nearly get killed today?' conversation in the bar that night anyway!