PDA

View Full Version : well that was f****ing awesome

seat_of_my_pants
29th Sep 2002, 18:56
Those of you who were at the bash yesterday know that today I had my first flying lesson.

It was the perfect day to fly - you could see for miles and the air was a smooth as as babies bottom so...

I was really quite nervous when I turned up - I had previously had a 30 mins 'taster flight' which was a buzz but didn't give me much to go on as to what a real lesson would be like.

Would I be any good? - would I freak out? would I get air sick? 152's seem very small and fragile close up - I am used to aircraft being big and sturdy - would the thing stay in the air? (especially with me at the controls)

I was introduced to my instructor, and to my shock found out that he was twenty one (that made me feel really old) and looked like he was fresh out of school

We walked out to the aircraft, and he took me through the pre flight check lists and started it up. It felt like sitting on the inside of a lawn mower - when stationery it has it's own perpetual movement.

Taxiing was a little unusual, as steering with your feet is not first nature if you drive cars. All of a sudden we had been cleared for take off and were bombing down the grass strip. I eased back the control yoke (?) and we were up.

What a great feeling.

Leaving the ground the ride became smooth, the movements more natural.

Now I see what is all about.

I won't go into the details of the lesson, because it is still sinking in. What I will say is that I enjoyed every second of it, and I have booked more

I don't know where this path will take me, but something happened today that changed how I look at flying and myself.

So thanks to all (and BR L for making me buy the shots yesterday - you're a sick puppy) for your support, and to all at Redhill who made it a great experience

And my instructor - he was great - but I still feel like an old git

SOMP

EI_Sparks
29th Sep 2002, 19:11
Attaboy SOMP!
I'm jealous as hell now you understand :)

iainpoll
29th Sep 2002, 19:29
Glad you enjoyed it mate - not too hungover then?:cool:

I expect a first solo post soon!

TheKentishFledgling
29th Sep 2002, 19:55
Super feeling innit? :D

Nice one mate - keep us informed of your progress!

tKF

sennadog
29th Sep 2002, 20:10
Sounds like one of the first candidates for the Class of 2003. Good luck and have fun!

:D

seat_of_my_pants
29th Sep 2002, 20:25
cheer lads!

I'll let you know how it all ends up!

and I am never drinking again...

SOMP

AerBabe
29th Sep 2002, 20:47
You realise now you're going to get very poor, very fast ;)
Welcome to the club :)

FlyingForFun
30th Sep 2002, 08:48
Glad you enjoyed it - and you're right, you did have the perfect day for it! :)

Oh, and thanks for the shots. Pity they didn't have any decent vodka, though. :D

FFF
--------------

Grim Reaper 14
30th Sep 2002, 09:12
And you are.......who?

TWF!!:D

Select Zone Five
30th Sep 2002, 09:33
Enjoy the rest of the training seat_of_my_pants. It only gets better! Look forward to hearing you pen the first solo experience...'am I really doing this on my own!?' What a rush! :D

G SXTY
30th Sep 2002, 10:23
Nice one – thought you’d like it!

Just remember, now you’re one of us lot, your wallet & liver will never be the same again . . . :eek:

skygazer
30th Sep 2002, 10:28
Methinks you will continue to enjoy it SOMP, I'm 7 hours in and still enjoying it as much as ever.

Come back to earth when the credit card bill lands on the mat though!!;)

1st Oct 2002, 01:53
;)

Holloway
1st Oct 2002, 07:55
HE HE HE im 11 hours in and lovin it more and more cause my solo is round the corner!! Same problems with the credicard bill!!