PDA

View Full Version : Windshear Warning

Pienkie
29th Sep 2002, 16:30
What are the inputs that activates the Windshear Warning on the B737-200 ADV?:confused:

nightbird
1st Oct 2002, 15:55
Usually, a sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach.

Unless some airline has actually invested in installing a system!Because the "rocket in the pocket" that i flew definately did not have any such gismos.

However,will try and find out what makes it tick on a A320 and let you know!

regards
;)

nightbird
3rd Oct 2002, 12:24
Well theA320 FCOM wasnt very helpful.
the section on Windshear Warning says "intentionally left Blank"!

the system IS installed, because during certain flight profiles we get the msg"windshear detector inop" or (something similar which implies that it is Kaput.)

while waiting to find some more info about this in the book,i exercised my grey cells a bit (a hazardous pastime i know!)

i know we definately dont have any mod to our good old WX radar.
Anyway the ones which can actually detect windshear are still in the experimental/trials stage.

So the only gadget on board that can detect W/shear(or rather its teltale signature,of rapid changes in wind velocity/direction)is the Inertial Reference System(IRS).

the wind vector is always displayed on the Nav Display(above a certain ground speed).So its probably just a matter of rigging up some smart software which can trigger a warning when a predetermined threshold(of change in wind vector)is crossed.

i beleive there are some 737-200s ETOPS cleared machines. (which fly to Midway island!)
So if these A/C are equipped with IRS/INS
they might well have windshear warning,similar to that on the A320.

All this is ofcourse a bit of loud thinking!

Hope someone comes up with some official confirmation.

regards