PDA

View Full Version : superb controlling on 130.92

gurnzee
29th Sep 2002, 09:17
I wish to pass on my sincere thanks to the controller on 130.92 last night who assisted us with a TCAS problem. The professionalism shown and the accuracy of the radar vectors given was inch perfect and made an otherwise frustrating day worth it.
what happened was that it appeared that as if traffic 1000' above or below our level was not registering on TCAS. As London wasn't that busy I thought I would try a long shot and asked if it would be possible to be vectored within 12nm of traffic 1000' above or below, a rather strange request I'm sure! As it was a bit quiet and not much was around, the gentleman indicated he was up for the challenge as long as we didn't mind going of track a bit. After no more than 10min and a few vectors later, an Embraer appeared inch perfect crossing our bows at 1000' above at windscreen level - not showing on TCAS. We knew he was coming as we were given a heads-up by the controller. It was truly a pleasure to see such poetry in motion! I would be interested to know though whether the traffic was clocked from the start or not.
Thanks again and speak again soon

vertigo
10th Oct 2002, 09:55
I know the controller involved in this matter and he is a fool. Any accuracy within his sectors is pure luck. It sounds to me as if his guide dog gave him the necessary advice to get it so close.;)

But seriously, the traffic was a EGBB inbound through Hemel that was taken off it's route to facilitate your request. Although it put him a little high on the profile it also resulted in a straight in for rwy 33. See, there was a plan.

I'm sure he appreciates your feedback.

Cheers.