View Full Version : African Aerospace & Defence Mishaps

Pitot Probe
27th Sep 2002, 18:10
As reported before some accidents happened at the recent AAD held in Pretoria, SA.

Here follows more accurate info...

Thu 19 Sept : C130 tyre burst.

In an 23ship flypast including all SAAF aircraft types, Grippen and Hawk; a SAAF C130 burst a tyre on landing. The C130 was the 9th fixed wing to land on RWY 19. The runway was subsequently closed. At the time of the incident, the SAAF Cheetah holding over MEV called 9min of fuel left. The Cheetah, Grippen, Hawk and Mirage F1 diverted to Johannesburg International.

Sat 21 Sept : Two parachute mishaps.

100 members from 44 Parachute Brigade at Tempe were dispatched on a static jump from 800ft. Two chutes only partially opened.
One member only suffered minor injuries and were returned to Tempe with a C208 from 41 SQN on the same day.
The other member suffered spinal injuries and are still in a critical state in 1 Military Hospital in Voortrekkerhoogte.

Sun 22 Sept : Two Harvard (Texan) forced landings.

1005Z: A Reserve Force pilot, Colonel Jeff Earle, experienced an engine failure in his aircraft approximately 10min after take-off.
The aircraft (SAAF Musem owned) was in a holding pattern over Rietvlei Dam (3nm SSE of Waterkloof) when it lost power. The aircraft crashed in a field starting a huge fire. The pilot escaped from the aircraft just before impact. His injuries included a broken leg, broken rib and a punctured lung.
The rescue operation was initially led by a SAAF Albatros circling in the same location. A SAAF Alouette III and Oryx Helicopter were rushed to the scene.
The aircraft (and half of a chicken farm) were destroyed in the post crash fire.

appr 1400Z: Another Harvard (Texan) experienced engine failure directly after take-off. The pilot landed the aircraft safely at Cornwall Hill (1 nm S of Waterkloof). The Harvard were part of the Flying Lions display team. No major injuries were suffered by the pilot. As above the Alouette III and Oryx helicopters were the first at the crash site.