PDA

View Full Version : Question about the walkaround

fonawah
27th Sep 2002, 12:23
Just a quick question about the walkaround, is it the pilot flying that does it? Does the Capt. decide who does it or is it on a turn basis ie Capt outward leg, F/O return leg?
Many thanks.

Captain Stable
27th Sep 2002, 12:52
Varies from company to company. Sometimes it's always the Captain, sometimes always the FO, sometimes always the P(N)F, sometimes it's down to the Captain's decision, based on whether or not it's raining... ;)

fonawah
27th Sep 2002, 13:30
Thanks Captain

canberra
27th Sep 2002, 17:57
what happens on those civil aircraft with an fe? im guessing that one of the pilots goes with the fe, but does that vary from compant to company?

Max Angle
27th Sep 2002, 20:09
In BMI (on the 'bus at least) the PF does the walkround while PNF sets the FMGS up. PF cross checks the data after the walkround.

NW1
27th Sep 2002, 21:36
The Flight Engineer does the walkaround. He knows his stuff.

Best regards,
NW1

Captain Stable
27th Sep 2002, 22:20
As I say, it varies. I'm all in favour (on a 3-man flight deck) of the FE doing it. As NW1 says, he knows his stuff.

On a 2-man FD, I have to say I'm not in favour of different people doing it on different legs. You spot a small crack somewhere. It's within limits. Next turnround, it's grown slightly. You'll notice that. The other guy, who hasn't yet done one, won't realise it's grown.

One person should stick with it. Since the skipper is the man who signs for the airframe, I would suggest that it should be him who checks it out.

Comments?

Lou Scannon
30th Sep 2002, 18:45
One thing thats worth mentioning:
Whoever does the walk-around, do bear in mind that you are totally vulnerable to all sorts of possibilities. Pilots have been hit by trucks and my flight engineer was so intent on checking the underside of the wing one dark night at JFK that he fell down an open manhole!

cloud nine
1st Oct 2002, 10:08
Whoever does the walk-around, do bear in mind that you are totally vulnerable to all sorts of possibilities

How true!

I still laugh at the time when our FO got back on our aircraft in disgust after completing the walk-around.
It was school holidays and we had quiet a few UM's on board. Apparently one of the little "darlings" squashed his face up to the window and gave the poor FO "the middle finger"!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Propellerhead
1st Oct 2002, 19:31
Captain Stable, are you one of these Captain's who's forgotton how to program the FMS? Spare a thought for your poor F/O on a 4 sector day who has to do 'inside' every sector while you're sauntering around outside. :p I don't think your comments about the crack is very valid - if there is something concerning you (eg brake pins near limits, then just ask the other guy to check it out.

I have to say I've never really noticed 'cracks' when I've been doing it, either I'm not looking for them, or there not there! Also, usually an engineer will do a walkround as well, what we do is a faily quick inspection on a transit.

Also, if the F/O never gets to do the walkround, how's he going to fare on his first day as a Captain if he doesn't know what he's looking for. I've already built up some personal experience of things that weren't right on a walkround, and a couple of things I always check now that aren't necessarily required.

Captain Stable
1st Oct 2002, 20:56
a) No, I haven't forgotten how to program an FMS! ;)

b) Yes, I can tell the other guy about a crack, but he still won't be able to tell if it's grown just during the last sector, nor will he be able to tell if we're experiencing excessive brake wear unless he saw the indicators on the last turnround.

c) When it's raining, blowing and cold, most F/O's of my acquaintance have been extremely pleased that it's me going out there

d) How will he know what to look for? What do you think happens on a command course? :)

e) Nothing wrong in the least with an engineer doing a walkround as well - two pairs of eyes are better than one, but once again, he won't know what's changed since the last turnround.