PDA

View Full Version : New GE90 fan blade fails Bird test?

Genghis
27th Sep 2002, 12:21
I have heard a rumour that the GE90-115B has failed its 5.5lbf bird test. Can anyone confirm or elaborate on this?

lomapaseo
27th Sep 2002, 12:28
Never heard of such a test. What was it and how did they fail it?

There's nothing in the regs requiring this size bird for a GE90, besides, Boeing test pilots would never fly anything that couldn't pass a bird test.

Genghis
2nd Oct 2002, 09:21
Its a new test for a single large flocking bird (in JAR-E amendment 12, a new paragraph (c) in JAR-E 800). While the base GE90 does not need to comply, the GE90-115B does, I believe.

As to what went wrong - no idea. That was why I posted!!

MasterGreen
2nd Oct 2002, 09:47
Not another frozen chicken problem surely !!!

MG

lomapaseo
2nd Oct 2002, 12:23
<Its a new test for a single large flocking bird (in JAR-E amendment 12, a new paragraph (c) in JAR-E 800). While the base GE90 does not need to comply, the GE90-115B does, I believe.
>

I believe you are referring to the "Large Bird test" which is an 8 lb bird or its equivalent in kgs.

The pass criteria is that the engine not burst its cases, catch fire or lose the ability to be safely shut down, There is no power run-on requirement and the test is generally ho-hum compare to a full blade out.

The early GE90 (along with its competitors) had to comply as a Special Condition and did have difficulty with this test by creating a greater resulting fan imbalance than the blade loss test.