PDA

View Full Version : Do we go to Sywell....?

Evo
26th Sep 2002, 19:30
Once upon a time, BRL said

Its up to you. Why not start a new poll with at least 4 alternative airfields?

Go for it, see what comes up.......

Well, nobody else did anything, but short of picking four places at random this is the best I can do... :)

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 21:24
.......and they all lived happily ever after... :)

Keef
26th Sep 2002, 21:35
I'm meeting some good friends at Sywell on the 5th October. I hope that as many other good friends as possible will be there.

I try not to let politics get in the way of having fun. Let's go to Sywell: we don't want to drive it out of business, after all (well, I don't).

Those who feel strongly can write to the offending person - maybe even remind him that he's contravened the ANO.

Cutting off noses to spite faces isn't usually the best option.

sennadog
26th Sep 2002, 21:37
Evo, as per usual I'm out of the gossip loop so I'm not sure what you mean? Unless that SVFR and transit of Heathrow has put you off?;)

Anyway, I'm game and G-PD tells me he's up for it.

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 21:39
....seconded. Good point Keef.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Sep 2002, 06:10
Too late, IMHO, to change plans for 30+ aircraft. Lets stick with Sywell, + Cranfield as agreed No.1 diversion, and a consensus to raise merry hell if we're mucked about.

G

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 06:14
sennadog - I'm still going, don't worry. :)

The reason for the poll is in one of the other Sywell threads. Someone (FFF?) suggested that if Sywell are going to randomly shut we should vote with our feet and go elsewhere. BRL suggested a vote. I was bored... :)

Who has control?
27th Sep 2002, 07:38
I think that we should continue to with the plan to go to Sywell, but I feel that in light of recent events, we should agree a contingency back-up Plan B.

i.e. Where do we all divert to if Sywell decides to close suddenly??

The only thing that worries me a liitle about Cranfield is that the notes in the Flight Guide (last years admittedly but its the only one to hand), "slots are granted by ATC & must be adhered to" Will they object to 25+ aircraft arriving en masse?

Cranfield is PPR by telephone for non-radio A/C, Sibson is PPR by phone for all, non-radio not accepted.

Whirlybird
27th Sep 2002, 08:31
Cancelling our fly-in to Sywell will achieve absolutely nothing. No-one at Sywell will even notice, hardly anyway. If you want to make a point about the closures, WRITE! Write to the airfield manager, to the flying magazines, to anyone who'll might listen. But don't let's mess up everyone's weekend to try and make a point, when there are far better ways of making it.

Lowtimer
27th Sep 2002, 09:49
I really hope that you will still come to Sywell as it's where my shared aeroplane is based and I'm looking forward to meeting you there on the day. The flying businesses and those private owners I've spoken to at the airfield are united and vocal in their concern about the recent unscheduled closures. On a practical level there seems to be an acceptance from the management of the airfield that there was not adequate notification of the closures, so I do not believe that people will find themselves unexpectedly being turned away in the air except for proper air safety reasons, e.g. damaged aircraft blocking runway(s) etc.

My feeling is that it would not be a good thing in the long run if people wishing to preserve and promote flying in general were seen to "voluntarily" withdraw from flying there - that seems to me like exactly the route to finding a shiny new out-of-town shopping centre or housing estate on those grass runways. Especially given the number of unusual and interesting aeroplanes which congregate and operate at Sywell. The busier the airfield and the more demand for flying activities, the better.

Look forward to seeing as many people as possible on the day - I will be around from 9 am, probably lurking around somewhere in the vicinity of a Yak-52.

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 10:27
It was me who originally suggested we go somewhere else, although it was very tongue-in-cheek - followed in the next sentence by a retraction. (And it should also have had a couple of :D's in it too, but it didn't.)

I don't think we should re-arrange, for th reasons stated here. And, for the reasons stated, it seems unlikely that the airfield will close again on the day we're due to fly in there. It doesn't do any harm to have a backup plan in case, though. But I wouldn't like to see an airfield used which didn't accept non-radio aircraft.

Hopefully see you all at Sywell next weekend then! :)

FFF
-----------

Keef
30th Sep 2002, 23:47
Hey tKF - you is Nav on this trip, yeah?

Do I need to dig out charts 'n stuff, or will you do all that and tell me the way when we leave EGTO? Want a second opinion afore we fly? Need any other info on cruisin' speed and fuel burn and W&B and all that?

... assuming the nice Ahmad sorts the bracket on the hoof valve! We flew from Roch to Safend last Saturday with the gear down, on account of it wouldn't go up. I'd rather than than the opposite problem!

Let's SMS around Thursday to see if all is OK.