PDA

View Full Version : 300 nm Cross country.

Delta Wun-Wun
26th Sep 2002, 12:59
Need to sort out a route for the 300 nm cross country before starting the CPL.
Does it have to be straight line distance or can there be dog legs to get around busy controlled airspace etc.
Also any ideas on where I could go.....flying out of Halfpenny....oops...Wolverhampton.

Cheers

DWW:)

eyeinthesky
26th Sep 2002, 14:51
There was this question a few months ago. The answer seemed to be that you need to be sensible about it. If, for example, you wanted to go from Stapleford to Bournemouth as your first leg, it would be reasonable to assume that you would have to go around the LL CTR and therefore you can count that dog leg. But if you were to try to argue that from East Midlands to Coventry was a long way because you had decided to go anti-clockwise around Birmingham they might look at it a little closely.

Where to go? Why not try the Channel Islands or France and then back via East Anglia? Then you can get the drawback and maybe a few dutyfrees whilst going 'foreign' at the same time. All good experience.

tacpot
28th Sep 2002, 20:15
I've been thinking about doing a route from Tatenhill - Staverton - Norwich for my 300nm XC. The route goes past Halfpenny... oops... I mean Wolverhampton Intergalatic. So presumably it would work for you as well.

Genome_Junkie
29th Sep 2002, 10:11
I did mine a while back and included dog legs.
Went Rotterdam - Deauville - Le Touqet and back to Rotterdam again. Totalled more than 300nm and it was nice to fly along the coast and back inland. As a bonus, the restaurant at Deauville has/had nice food.
I have not had it checked by the CAA yet but as far as I am aware the regulations state a trip TOTALLING 300nm etc etc. and up to now I never had any problems with them so I keep my fingers crossed. In Holland on the other hand it was 300nm in a straight line (As told to me by a flying Instructor who I sometimes fly with for currency). He went to Denmark to get his done. If the UK CAA don't like it then I will do it again, 300nm in a straight line. No problem, Austria here we come. In fact I might as well do it now just for the fun of it. I really despise going round in circles in a plane anway. Need to go somewhere etc.
Why not go abroad and visit a few Airfields on the continent and we are not talking France only here. What about Cologne? Go Halfpenny - Ostend - Cologne, stay overnight and have a few Kolsch in the Brewery next to the Cathedral. Is that 300nm?
To me the 300nm thing was all about a nice days flying and not about having to meet some requirement.
In the end it is up to you: If you really really really want to be sure then go to an airfiled that lies 300nm in a straight line from where you start off from. In the UK it should not be too much of a problem. If you need to then stay overnight at the third airport. There is only one thing that you certainly should do and that is: ENJOY the flying.

Cheers
Arnie

StrateandLevel
29th Sep 2002, 10:34
Look at it from the perspective of someone who has to verify it. If you can measure 300 miles there is no argument. By the way its not actually 300 nm, its 540 Km or 292 nm, so that gives you a bit of flexibility.