PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Phillips Speedtwin?

LowNSlow
26th Sep 2002, 06:13
The Phillips Speedtwin is/was a twin engined (surprise surprise) taildragger with a tandem cockpit. It looked like a cross between the Argentinian Pucara and a Gloster Meteor. Fully aerobatic, it could be cartwheeled off a vertical climb like Zurakowski did with the Meteor. With a fixed undercarriage and 2 x O-200 engines it was the closest to being a fast (140 knots from memory) and affordable twin you're likely to get.

The chap who flight tested it for Pilot gave it rave reviews especially for the superb handling and wonderful cockpit. I remember reading the flight test of this beautiful aeroplane back in the '80s and thinking that I would love one once I'd got my PPL and some cash and a bucket load of time to build one :D. I later learned that the gentleman who had designed and built it had sadly died and assumed that development of it had stopped.

I was therefore very surprised and delighted to see a picture of one (I assume it was the original but repainted) taken at North Weald (I think) this summer. It had speedtwin.co.uk on the nose but I only get told that the site has been sold when I try to access it.

Does anybody out there have any information regarding the status of the manufacturer, plans for the future etc of this beauty?

Rod1
26th Sep 2002, 08:12
An article in one of the recent mags said kits were set to be available soon. I think the original force behind the project may no longer be involved.

I will try to find the article when I get home, unless someone else has the item to hand?

With two diesel engines it would be very inexpensive to run, and I think it was aerobatic to.

Rod

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 08:18
Any links to a picture of one? Curious now...........

LowNSlow
26th Sep 2002, 10:52
BRL I've searched all over the place to find a picture and can't I'm afraid. The only pic I've seen was the one in the mag and I can't remember if that was Today's Pilot or Flyer. :rolleyes:

The registration is G-GPST, the builder was Peter Phillips. According to G-INFO the current owners are Speedtwin Developments Ltd. She was first registered in 1990 so my memory of reading the flight test in the 80s was out by a few years!

I've seen it mentioned as landing at Blackpool airport in 2001 but there were nopix on the site. Rats.

Trust me it is a gorgeous little twin with a cruciform tail like the Rockwell Commander.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Sep 2002, 11:59
I remember the original 'Pilot' article. Lovely aeroplane, but of course you need a multi rating to fly it.

SSD

Lowtimer
26th Sep 2002, 13:31
A deeply gorgeous, intelligent and desirable design - if a kit comes out I will move heaven and earth to get one. The designer's untimely death was a tragedy. I have often thought that if Vans were ever to make a twin, this should be it.

LowNSlow
26th Sep 2002, 13:45
SSD a multi rating isn't that hard, even I managed to pass it! But I have lost a few billion brain cells since then :D

I wish SpeedTwin Developments Ltd. all the best in their quest to design and manufacture an easy to construct and affordable kit. I'm not asking much really!!! Am I????

Lowtimer, your description fits it perfectly.

OK, so who's got a couple of O-200s in their garage that they want to shift????

I do seem to recall that it had Chipmunk undercarriage legs? Mmmm hope they change that expensive design feature or even better that I'm wrong.

Final 3 Greens
26th Sep 2002, 14:06
Its the nearest thing that you're going to find to a Mosquito on a PPL!

Lowtimer
26th Sep 2002, 14:10
I'm not sure I would actually use 0-200s. I gather good ones are getting quite rare and overhaul costs climbing. Although the designer had a couple of ex Rallye 0-200s available I believe he envisaged using the 0-235 to power future airframes. But that was quite a while ago, and engines have moved on. For a homebuilt Speedtwin I would use a pair of the Jabiru 3300 six cylinder engines. 120 hp each side, nice sounding, smooth, economical, modern and substantially lighter than an 0-235. Reasonably affordable new, as well.

The original Speedtwin had a positive Sengine-out climb, even without featering props, and with two 0-200s that the designer himself described as pretty clapped out. So with a bit more power and lighter weight from the Jab engines, it should be OK to use lightweight wooden fixed pitch props, Chris Lodge or similar, and reap further benefits in low weight, smoothness and no worries about gyroscopic stresses when attempting those Zurakowski cartwheels!! However, propellors have also moved on and for people with deep pockets a pair of MT feathering VP props would probably be just the ticket.

Mmm, lovely daydream...

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 15:03
Ghengis Where are you?.

Negative 'G'
26th Sep 2002, 18:43
The original blue coloured prototype (G-GPST I think) was based at Caernarfon about a year ago for a few days. Unfortunately I only saw it fly overhead a couple of times so when curiosity got the better of me & I dashed to the Airfield it had just departed for good:( :mad:
If I remember correctly, the movements Log said a farm strip in S.Wales as the departure destination

Nice design though,I remember it being at Farnborough several times,lets hope we see it there again some day...........And NOT in the historic display:rolleyes:

Neg G:cool:

rex
26th Sep 2002, 18:47
Will just have to check my macine, but I believe I have a foto from Woodchurch Wings and Things 2002.

If I find it I'll see whether I can post it.

REX:cool:

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 18:59
Well then, after a bit of research i have come up with this.......
LINK (http://groups.msn.com/BRLPictures/drapersplane.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=90)
Picture taken at Popham this summer. Mike Kemp operates the aircraft. Just repainted after being damaged by vandals at Popham.
Many thanks to BigBen. for the e-mail.

LowNSlow
27th Sep 2002, 03:55
Well done BRL :D

As usual my memory let me down regarding the cruciform tail and the location, Old Hay, rather than North Weald!

The website address on the side is [email protected]. So far I haven't been able to open it.

Lowtimer, Jab engines would be an improvement I'd imagine, especially with 3 blade props. Alternatively, a brace of WAM diesels would be a very interesting alternative. That combination could be cheaper to run than an RV with an O-360. No there's a thought.

Mmm hope they get the kits up and running and I hope they make them available in stages a la Vans.

Back to reality though, how big is the market for a VFR, day only 2 seater twin? The airframe kit price will have to be extremely competetive as the extra cost of the "spare" engine will make the finished cost at least 15k more than an RV. Apart from the safety of having 2 donkeys will the performance increase justify the expense?

Stuff all the above, I want one. Sooo badly.......

FlyingForFun
27th Sep 2002, 08:49
Wow!

And it's aerobatic too? :eek:

I think I've just found my dream aircraft! :D :D :D If only I had a MEP class rating....

FFF
-------------

LowNSlow
27th Sep 2002, 09:33
FFF a MEP rating you can get but a SpeedTwin you can't.

Not yet anyway. Wish I could open their web page.....

Judging by the interest demonstrated here so far they could have a few sales to Ppruners. Maybe we could get a group discount :D :D

Evo
27th Sep 2002, 09:39
LowNSlow, by 'their web page' do you mean the [email protected] link you posted? It's an email address. Pointing a browser at it isn't going to get very far... :)

LowNSlow
25th Mar 2003, 06:49
As there is a thread about twins on grass fields, I thought that this wonderplane would solve the problems.

Does anybody have any further information on this wonderful machine? I've been Googling and failed again :(

Evo I worked that one out eventually ;) ;)

phartygobshite
1st Apr 2003, 19:18
I saw this very same aircraft doing some very impressive aerobatics from my back garden quite recently. It looked as if he was using the A40 Abergavenny - Raglan road as a ground line.
Suggest you look in the Mommouth area for more information.

pharty

Dusty_B
1st Apr 2003, 20:18
BRL : Have you still got the photograph? The link on page one is now broken.

atb1943
9th Jul 2003, 07:03
Airliners.net usually comes up trumps, and here they are with a couple of photos.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-GPST&distinct_entry=true

BRL
9th Jul 2003, 22:31
Here we go, the Speedtwin at Popham last year........
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/Speedtwin.bmp

Negative 'G'
10th Jul 2003, 02:22
Wouldn't it be a nice coincidence if it turned up at the PFA rally this year ! Hmmmmmmm.................... :D

Neg G:D

BRL
15th Jul 2003, 15:10
Good news for those who have shown interest in this plane. The owners are just sorting out a new wing for it and if they do it in time they will bring it to the next fly-in HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93031) at Compton....... :ok: