PDA

View Full Version : A Share ownership

liquidhockey
25th Sep 2002, 20:24
Hi
Please can someone in the know give me an educated estimate of how much....

A PA28 would cost (a typical ammount)
a C172 would cost (a typical ammount)

I know that this is a very vague question but from experience could you give me a typical rough estimate?

Thanks in advance
Regards

Dave

Genghis the Engineer
25th Sep 2002, 21:29
Rough ballpark, about £40k each. Depends enormously on hours, condition, avionics fit, when the next CofA renewal is due, and when the next engine overhaul is due. Also, PA28s especially vary a great deal, and model will make a big difference.

You can compare prices and specs by buying a current issue of "Pilot" from WH Smiths and looking at the thousands of classified ads in the back.

G

liquidhockey
25th Sep 2002, 21:33
why so much?
i was under the impression that a Cessna 150 would only cost about £1500 each

Dave

yawningdog
25th Sep 2002, 22:37
Get Real!

LowNSlow
26th Sep 2002, 05:04
liquidhockey and yawningdog a 1/10 share in a C150 might cost around 1,500 - 2,000. Genghis was referring to the total cost of the aeroplane I think (they'd be very expensive shares otherwise!!!!). A decent 172 or early model PA-28 (pre-Warrior) can be had for around 25-30,000 dependant on type, age, engine hours etc as Genghis said.

As suggested, check out the usual places; Pilot, Flyer and Today's Pilot magazines. They all have a section for shares.

FlyingForFun
26th Sep 2002, 10:02
Apart from the condition of the aircraft, the biggest factor will be the number of people in the group.

£40,000 is probably a reasonable estimate for the total cost of an aircraft. So if you buy a 1/10th share, you might pay about £4000. On the other hand, you could buy a 1/2 share for about £20,000.

1/10th shares in this type of aircraft aren't all that common but they are available. Groups this big tend to form around much slower aircraft which are good for pootling around the local area for an hour or two, but which you wouldn't want to go touring in.

If you buy a share in an aircraft which is capable of touring (which the PA28 and C172 both are, although they're not the best choice of touring aircraft), you have to expect some of the members to want to take the aircraft away for a whole day at a time, if not longer - even if you don't. So availability with a group this big would probably be quite poor. A group of 4-6 people would probably be reasonable, giving you a cost of about £8000.

FFF
--------------

distaff_beancounter
26th Sep 2002, 10:51
liquidhockey
I got the impression from some of your other posts that you are a student pilot, not a PPL.

If so, if you intend to complete your PPL training on a shared or group aircraft, then it has to be one that is on a Public Transport Certificate if Airworthiness.

I only mention this, as the initial capital cost of your share, & the ongoing maintenance tends to be a bit higher, than for an aircraft that is on Private Catagory.