PDA

View Full Version : single pilot A/C instrument rating

Watch your six !
25th Sep 2002, 12:47
hi guys !

At the moment I am training for a A320 type rating . I am due to finish in a couple of weeks ( great !! ).

here is my question :

The JAR-FCL says that you need a Valid Multiengine instrument rating to start the training for a JAR25 Type rating A/C . ok !

Mine was still current at the time I started the course but is now lasped ( 1 month time ) ... I wonder if the CAA would issue a A320 type rating on my licence anyway or would they require a renewal of my SPA IR ( single pilot A/C Instrument rating ) first ??

I would like to avoid renewing my SPA IR to save money ... I am sure you understand !! lol

In my TRTO , no one seems to know ... may be you guys could help ?

thanks in advance !

cheers !

Freak On A Leash
25th Sep 2002, 13:18
Well, if the JARs say you need a valid license when you START the training you should be ok.
Since the A320 is a multiengine aircraft and you will be doing both multiengine and instrument procedures during your checkride, I don`t see why this couldn`t count as a revalidation:confused:
But don`t take my word for it - I`m not totally up to date with the JARs.Just trying to put some common sense into it...

Try www.jaa.nl and see what you come up with, and if there is nothing else involved, well then you`re good to go!

Final 3 Greens
25th Sep 2002, 15:13
Watch Your Six

You might wish to post your question on to the Instructors forum - they have answered similar topics in the past

pjumbo
27th Sep 2002, 09:58
I am an A320 pilot and I was in exactly the same circumstances as your question refers to.

When you do your final CAA IR in the A320 sim (i.e. LPC/OPC); you're then current for 6 months although the IR is valid for 12 months. Of course you will still have to do your 'base training' to fully quailify to operate the aircraft.

However, as I understand it, you cannot fly any other type using your A320 IR. In other words, you must have a valid IR for each aircraft you fly.

Hopefully, the above helps and if I have 'got it wrong' then I stand corrected!

Good luck with the course.

pjumbo :)