PDA

View Full Version : How thorough are YOUR pre-flight checks

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 12:07
Below is a story where you will all have a chance to shout TOSSER at me :D but I hope it will serve to focus peoples attention on how ignoring warning signs can be a VERY silly thing to do. I got away with it as a very chastened chappie with a lighter wallet but my skin and my aeroplane intact.

I was going for a flight in my aged Auster one day last summer. The grass each side of the mown strip was quite long, 18" or so. This was pointed out to me by the owner of the strip with the warning that he'd seen aircraft noseover after coming into contact with similar greenery. No problem thinks your intrepid aviator, even I can keep the old girl on the strip no problem.

Did all the usual checks and started her up. I banged my shin as my foot slipped on the cabin step. (warning sign No. 1) She cut out on the slow running check. Rats thinks I and gets out to start her again (hand start). Miss warning sign No. 2 while grumbling to myself about having to unstrap etc etc.

Taxi out and lo and behold she cuts again after rechecking the slow running. Now things are heading straight towards the sea of stupidity cos yours truly interprets this as probably some gunge, maybe grass from the freshly mown strip in the slow running jet of the carb. Warning sign No. 3 sails over the oblivious head of the person in the left hand seat. Files the problem in the bag of the rapidly emptying head to be raised with friendly engineer over a cuppa later. Revs up and away we go.

Trundling along the runway warning sign No. 4 flashes past as I realise that I'm taking longer to get off the ground than usual. Still plenty of time to call it a day at this point but oh no off we go. I got airborne well within a safe distance and busy myself settling in the cruise and talking to the men on the ground.

As I'm poodling along I ponder on the extended takeoff and convince myself it was a) due to using the uphill direction rather than the more usual downhill and b) it's a warm day and that's why I'm cruising a bit slower than normal as well. Fully convinced of my reasoning off I trundle.

Upon my return I did have the sense not to bring the engine fully to idle on the approach just in case there was a repeat of the earlier performance. Hand starting an aeroplane on finals is not easy!

Of course there's a mild crosswind (as always) but a good sideslip gets me in the right position with full flap down. In the right position to float down the runway cos with 1,000 rpm on the clock I ain't gonna land! Easy peasy, thinks I, close the throttle, doesn't matter if the engine stops cos I'm slap bang on the centreline with lots of room ahead. Whoops, this is where all the birdies come home to roost.

Engine immediately stops, I've got full flap down (very bad idea with hindsight but I've never deadsticked an Auster before) and the aeroplane stops. Still 3 feet above the runway. No power to cushion the landing. Bounce. Bounce again. And again. The trainers I'm wearing have hard and slippery soles. They slide of the (tiny) heel brake pedals. There is no steering with the tailwheel cos it's the great free castoring jobby that helps Austers maintain their reputation for being little piggies on the ground. There is no airflow from the prop to energise the rudder. Oops, there's the grass......

Fortunately by this time after all the zigging and zagging along the 20' wide runway I'm doing about 5 mph as I roll into the grass with one wheel. The tail thankfully does NOT lift and my expensive and hard to replace steel propellor is NOT bent.

After extracting the old girl from the grass and manhandling her into the hangar I kick myself in the backside all the way to the tearoom. I have a cuppa and a ciggie to calm myself down.

With the classic 20/20 hindsight I realised the following:

a) I had had ample waring from the engine that I should NOT have gone flying that day.

b) I was wearing inappropriate shoes for such tiny (about 1" square) brake pedals.

c) The repeated cuts at slow engine speeds would cause problems when I landed

d) Even an idling engine produces sufficient rudder authority to maintain control on the ground.

e) In the above circumstances no engine means seriously reduced control

The best (worst) is yet to come.......

When the engineer examined the carburettor he discovered the carburettor wasn't blocked, it was loose. VERY loose. The studs were there but the threads into the carburettor were ruined. With the engine running above 1,000 rpm the suction through the carb held it onto the manifold gasket. At low revs, the weight of the carb pulled it off the gasket causing a lean cut as the excess air rushed in.

Initially I thought that I'd missed the carb being lose which puzzled me as I make a point of grabbing the major engine components and trying to waggle them around. Old engines vibrate a lot, things do come loose. Even I knew that. I thought I would have seen a lose carburettor for goodness sake, it's right in front of me (and the size of a medium saucepan) when I take the engine cowl off to check the oil.

The reason it came lose was more sneaky than mere vibration.

The real reason was that the engine mounts had sagged with age (don't we all). The Auster has a Cirrus in-line engine unlike the flat 4's in most Cessnas and Pipers. The flat 4s have a 4 point mounting at the back of the engine which bolts to the firewall.

The inline engine is different. This engine is held hanging between two beams on 4 steel and rubber cylindrical mountings which are invisible because they are within alloy blocks. The beams are braced from below to the firewall. They form a triangle. The carburettor air intake sticks out into the airflow through the triangle. The sagging mountings had allowed the engine to drop less than half an inch but enough to bring the carb into contact with the engine mounting frame. The motion of the engine made short work of the alloy casting that the carburettor mounting bolts screw into. However, with carburettor "leaning" onto the lower part of the engine mounting frame it did NOT appear to be lose until the engine was started.

As I said earlier, Sneaky.

Enter one scrap 56 year old carburettor and a scrap alloy casting to the air intake into the equation. Fortunately the engine mounting beam suffered only scratched paint.

Fortunately I know some extremely helpful wizards with old engines who are reckoned to be one of the best in the world (yes they are British). They had to cut my old carb up to retreive the innards which they mounted into a new body (which they had in stock amazingly). My friendly engineer actually had a new, unused alloy air intake casting in his stores (even more amazing). The invoice dated from 1976. Serendipity is the only word I can use to describe the coincidence of people I knew having the ancient parts I needed! Anyhow, a total of 1,300 odd pounds later I now have new engine mounts and a virtually new carburettor. Yes, old aeroplanes can be expensive.

I will also NEVER, EVER AGAIN ignore warnings that my engine or aeroplane send me.

I hate to think what would have happened if the carb had come lose on finals..........

Here sits a chastened and gratefull lucky pilot. I don't want to rely on luck ever again. And yes, I have read My Worst Day type of things and thought "Tosser, I won't let that happen to me"......

FlyingForFun
25th Sep 2002, 12:43
And yes, I have read My Worst Day type of things and thought "Tosser, I won't let that happen to me"......
Just goes to show, it can happen to all of us, whatever we say or think. But I bet it won't happen twice to too many of us.

Thanks for sharing, LowNSlow. Pre-flight checks are something which I'm sure we all rush from time to time, and even if something does come up it's tempting to say "I'll sort it out later", especially when you're eager to get somewhere.

Maybe I could also suggest that you check things over after you fly, as well as before? Do a mag-check before you shut down, and then a quick walk-around before covering up the 'plane. That way, if you spot anything you don't like, you can fix it before you next want to fly, which removes the "I'll sort it out later" temptation. Of course this doesn't mean you can get away without do a thorough pre-flight as well. It's not clear whether this would have worked for you or not - possibly it would, if the carb had become lose during the previous flight you may have noticed that it wasn't idling properly after that flight?

Thanks,

FFF
-----------------

Lowtimer
25th Sep 2002, 12:51
LnS,

No, I won't shout "Tosser" or anything else rude. Excellent post, a salutary lesson, thank you for the opportunity to benefit from your experience. It sounds very difficult to spot the lose carb during pre-flight inspection given the rather devious arrangements of hidden components that you describe, but as you say the idling problem is a classic symptom of some kind of induction leak. Your story goes to show how one thing can lead to another... the classic chain of events, no one of which causes an accident, but makes other events possible or worse... the cumulative effect being a really rather unpleasant situation.

As some wise person said, we all start with a full back of luck and an empty bag of experience. You've shifted quite a bit of weight from one bag to the other here! Your report is valuable, and I would strongly suggest that you submit it via CHIRP or similar so that as many pilots as possible can learn from it.

Aussie Andy
25th Sep 2002, 12:57
Yeah LowNSlow, thanks for sharing... points well made re- pre-flight checks.

The part about the slippery shoes strikes a chord with me... when I first started learning I always wore trainers (aka "sand shoes" for any Australian's reading!) - until one damp day, on return from solo XC sortie #1 or #2 I think, when one foot slipped off the PA28's brake/rudder during the landing run... gave me the fright of my life as for first second or so I just didn't understand why I was veering off to one side... then realised and set things right quickly enough, and all ended well. Since then I always wear the same pair of shoes - my "flying shoes" - which have a stickier sole! Always surprised me that this risk wasn't mentioned by any instructors...

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 13:02
FFF, I always do a mag check post flight as part of the shutdown. The Auster is a little unusual in that there is no mixture so the shutdown goes like this:

1. Run at 1,200 rpm check mags
2. Shutoff fuel supply
3. As engine starts to "stumble" reduce revs to tickover
4. At tickover switch off both mags

That was why I was surprised at the tickover cut, it had worked fine a few days before.........

I usually (but not always) clean my aeroplane when it's back in the hanger. As you say, then you get a chance to spot any things wrong with it. It also stops the countless flattend bugs bodies dissolving into my paint and ruining it :D

Lowtimer, maybe I will submit it to Gasil or similar when I get home.

AussieAndy - I had a bad experience with chunky treaded deckshoes cathching the exposed rudder cable of my Cub and giving me some interesting responses to the rudder/brake inputs.

All- thanks for the positive comments.

There is a bit of a postscript:

My tailwheel spring was looking tired and I had decided to replace it before it failed and wrecked the rudder etc. I managed to track down some new springs (thanks Carl) and when the old spring was removed (after the event described previously) the middle leaf fell into 2 parts. The split was where the bracket which holds the leaves together was and was, again, invisible.......How long had it been like that, who knows....Glad I discovered that one in the hangar :) not on the runway :eek:

Final 3 Greens
25th Sep 2002, 14:47
I always do a thorough walk around and use the manufacturers POH checklist during the pre flight and power checks.

If the POH says, for sake of argument, that the fuel pressure should drop from 4psi to 3psi when the boost pump is switched off, then if it drops to 2.5 I'll stop and get it checked. (Happened a few motnhs ago and PPrune provided some good advice.)

However, a wedged carb that isn't obvious on a pre-flight adds a link in the chain that is difficult to mitigate for.

A good lesson shared and I for one appreciate the learning from this story.

Many thanks

F3G

RotorHorn
25th Sep 2002, 15:09
Low'n'Slow. Great post.

I succumbed to my first 'rushed' pre-flight on Sunday morning, and if it wasn't for LongFinal being sat in the co-jo seat, I would have been sat there cranking an R44 engine over with the lean-mixture knob pulled for most of the day....all together now "what a tosser...."...

:rolleyes:

D'Oh....

dedstikyfingerz
25th Sep 2002, 16:21
did same thing with some suit shoes in an auster, those little brakes are a bas**rd. try sparco's go cart shoes! well worth £80.00.

Philip Whiteman
25th Sep 2002, 16:43
Wrote this one up for 'Pilot', so I'll keep it brief:

Saw a couple of drops of engine oil on the nosewheel leg of our Cessna Cardinal RG -- thought it was just a sign of it being an old aeroplane. Checked oil, did three cycles of VP prop -- all OK. Took off, retracted gear and had just reached 300' when oil began to spray out the cowl, onto the screen.

Landed with no view forward (J-3 Cub/front seat passenger experience a great help!). Stripdown in calm of hangar revealed finger-tight fitting on oil line (CSU to prop) had backed off, causing leak.

Moral: if you see stuff leaking out that's not normally there, pay attention!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
25th Sep 2002, 18:40
Great post. I don't think there is a pilot out there who, for whatever reason, hasn't rushed to get airborne.

Enjoy and.............

Windy Militant
26th Sep 2002, 12:21
LowNSlow,
As I have just bought a share in an Auster myself I will take this as a salutary warning. Have to agree about the shoes and the heel brakes. Flew it from the left hand seat for the first time on Sunday. Next time I'll wear my ammo boots as the trendy loafers that my Mum bought to try and smarten me up are really comfy and great to drive in but the angled heel makes it nearly impossible to work the brakes! Maybe if I work at it I can get promoted up to being a tosser;)