PDA

View Full Version : What does it feel like in a small plane

WishICouldFly
25th Sep 2002, 11:09
Hi there
I have a fear of heights and I can not ride roller coasters
I cant even get inside a comercial airplane
But the thought of learning to fly really excites me
Can someone tell me what if feels like to fly a small plane?
Do you feel dropping sensations alot?
Thanks for your input

Joe

redsnail
25th Sep 2002, 11:29
Ever been on a small boat on a fast moving stream? Like that.
Ever driven a 4wd over rough terrain? Like that.
On some days it is as smooth as any multi lane highway, other days it is bumpy.
The small aeroplane is designed to handle it just fine.
With regards to your fear of heights it isn't a problem. With cliffs, tall buildings and the like you have a physical connection drawing your vision down to the ground. With an aeroplane you don't. Hence you don't usually get the feeling of vertigo. You'll find many pilots learn to fly to over come their fear of heights.
:)

buzzc152
25th Sep 2002, 11:59
If you're keen to have a go I'm sure you'll find many people here who'll be happy to take you up for a flight......... especially if you offer to pay some of the costs.

SpinSpinSugar
25th Sep 2002, 13:41
Jump in and give it a go - I too have pretty comprehensive vertigo but as mentioned above flying is a completely different prospect and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's nothing like sitting in a commercial aircraft. If it's a bumpy day you can get some minor "dropping sensations", on the flip side if it's a calm day, it can be smoother than a car! I find that it's one of those things though - if you're in control you don't notice it at all.

Honestly - light aircraft motion is something you become accustomed to, like any new sensation (sailing, or whatever). If you decide to take up flying, you will adapt very quickly. Trust me, it's worth it!

Pick a nice day, and go up for a flight, otherwise you'll always be wondering!

Don D Cake
25th Sep 2002, 15:20
I had to repair the guttering of my house the other day, only 20ft up. I was nearly sick just putting the ladders against the wall - I hate heights! Flying is completely different though, you're enclosed, you don't really feel high up.

Pick a nice calm day and give it a go.

Fraudsquads
25th Sep 2002, 18:43
I've loved flying since way before I first got airborne.

My girlfriend treated me to a trial flight for Christmas, took the flight on a May Bank holiday. Perfect conditions that day.

Although the cockpit of the Katana DV20 was a bit of a squeeze for my 6'2" frame i got in ok. The pedals were a bit closer than ideal but I could still operate them ok.

The flight was approx 30 mins, the instructor took off and once established at our trip altitude he demonstrated left and right turns, pointed out the need to be aware of the surroundings and look out for other aircraft. Then I was in control for the next 15 mins or so following the East Devon coast with a right turn up the Exe estuary before another turn towards the airport. I began the descent and I'd say he took over only for final approach.

It was probably the most incredible experience of my life. If you can remember the first time you drove a car thats nothing compared to the first flight.

My only problem was financial, after my trial flight I saw my employers MD walking out to a cessna for a lesson. He obviously had more than enough money to learn to fly.

It turns out he does things like this for entertainment and has in the past spent a week to get his HGV license to drive articulated trucks.

Go for it!!!
FS

Herod
25th Sep 2002, 21:04
Fear of heights ? I can just about get up to clean out the gutters, and I live in a bungalow. Roller coasters ? No way would you get me anywhere near one. But I'm a commercial pilot. As said, it's totally different, and you must give it a go. In UK, you can buy a "trial lesson" at an aero club, which will give you a good idea of what it is like, and will enable you to handle the aircraft as much as you want. presumably something similar is on offer over there; contact your local club. Good luck, and enjoy.

Whirlybird
26th Sep 2002, 18:32
I'm happy in any kind of aircraft, including flexwing microlights, which are open cockpit and very small. I was even OK when I tried hang gliding. But I've always been scared of heights, and still have difficulty climbing ladders. I used to be scared in airliners, but I'm fine now I understand what's going on. The only time I've got vertigo when flying is at low level in a helicopter in the South Wales valleys; at one point the ground dropped away quite suddenly, and that gave me the sensation of height that you get on a cliff top or similar. But in a small aeroplane you don't fly that low, so it won't happen.

So as everyone else has said, give it a go. Go for a trial lesson, or get someone to take you up. It might be worth mentioning your fears though, so the pilot or instructor knows you're nervous; don't worry, you won't be the first.

WishICouldFly
29th Sep 2002, 13:54
So it there anyone here from central USA?

AerBabe
30th Sep 2002, 23:35
I'm another one that's not too keen on heights. But again there was something about flying which was too strong to resist. Getting airbourn for the first time was a real buzz, but coming in to land I started to get pretty nervous!
It took me about 5 hours to get used to the height. I was convinced I'd never be able to fly solo because I'd be too scared!
But the thrill of flying meant I soon overcame that. I still have the occasional moment when I remember how far away the ground is, but it's more of a thrill than a fear now :)
I have to say that the best thing for my confidence was spending some time doing aerobatics. I've become so much more relaxed about flying since then it's amazing (a huge thank you again to the person who let me do this, if you're reading!)
Go for it... don't sit on the ground wondering :)