PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Shobdon

ChiSau
25th Sep 2002, 08:58
Am hoping to fly up to Shobdon in November to see some family (post getting my licence and getting a rating on a Piper Warrior to cut the travel time down...).

Presumably when I phone to get permission they can advise me of overnight parking availabilty/costs etc...

Does every airfield have tie-down points? Should you chock the wheels if not? Or do you just lock up and leave it?!

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 10:24
A lot of airfields don't have tie downs or hangarage but a telephone call should clarify the matter.

Whether the aeroplane is tied down or not, it should be chocked to prevent it rolling. Don't forget to lock the controls with the pin provided or if it's missing, tie the controls back with the seat belts to prevent the control surfaces flapping around.

Don't forget to enjoy yoursef :D :D

poetpilot
25th Sep 2002, 12:51
I find now I own my own aircraft, I care a lot more about how I (and others) park it and leave it.

Phone Shobdon, ask if they have tie down spaces. Take some spare nylon rope and something to cut it with.

If no permanent tiedowns are available, take at least two spiral screw tiedown spikes, park on grass into the prevailing wind, lock the controls, chock the wheels and screw/rope it all down securely - there should be tiedown points on the wing of your a/c. You can get these spikes from pilot shops for about £20, though I've seen pretty good ones for £1 each in some bargain shops (advertised as dog tiedowns!). Or your club may lend you some if its their aircraft.

I usually set the prop horizontal. OK, the rest of the aircraft might get damaged, but maybe I'll be able to sell the prop afterwards!

Check the forecast for overnight wind conditions (direction/ strength) and secure accordingly (ie may need 3 or 4 tiedowns if its going to be a gusty night).

If leaving aircraft parked in the open for long periods, Bettaware market a car/caravan dehumidifier for £6.90 ish. Basically a tray with renewable silica gel in. Helps prevent condensation and thus wear and tear on the avionics.

Plus of course a decent tailormade canopy cover to stop the rain p*ss*ng ing in and the heat frying the insides....

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 13:38
There is also the WW1 type of tie down which is basically a steel ring through which you drive 3 long spikes at angles to each other so that their pattern resembles the faces of an underground 3-sided pyramid (if you get my drift). The hooks on top of the spikes engage with the ring which you then tie your rope to. Only problem is you have 3 long spikes lying around in your aeroplane. :(

Don't bother with the 5 litre can size chunks of concrete. If the weight is easy to lift then your wonderplane will lift it easily if she's doing some unaccompanied flying. Then when your wonderplane is on its back the concrete chunks fall through the wing causing further damage. Been there, done that. Bl00dy useless now defunct flying club parked my beauty thus during a storm in '92. All their aeroplanes were safe though. :mad:

poetpilot Good idea about the silica gel, I'll have to get one of those.
Isn't it funny how picky you can get when it's YOUR aeroplane :D :D

ChiSau
25th Sep 2002, 14:28
Thanks for the tips.

As usual from this site I've learnt something new again!:D

poetpilot
25th Sep 2002, 16:42
Credit where credit's due, the silica gel tip I got from the Barton CFI, Dave Duckworth, who has been incredibly helpful to me in setting up my aircraft rental arrangement with Barton.

He gave me many wise words - though I discovered the Bettaware product itself. (Refills are about £3.50 and last 3 months).

Yes, Low n Slow, I have been like an old mother hen over my 172. Felt almost tearful as I handed her over to the tender mercies :rolleyes: of the club. I got about 12 hours in on her myself before that, ferrying her about for little tweaks and upgrades. Very nice aircraft. She had her first customer today, who apparently was very pleased with her. I just hope everyone treats her right ! She's only available for PPLs, so wont get bashed and bumped around the circuit too much thank goodness.

sharpshot
26th Sep 2002, 13:45
And make sure you have enough de-icing fluid with you in November......just in case.