PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory belts for FD crew?

timmcat
25th Sep 2002, 08:17
As purely pax with interest, I always thought that FD crew had to wear a harness at all times during a flight. During a 'discussion' the other evening, we wondered if this was so.. the incident of the British Midland captain being partially sucked out of a faulty cockpit window some years back comes to mind. Is it a mandatory issue, if so, is it sometimes ignored?

SLT
25th Sep 2002, 08:42
I think it was a BA 1-11 captain if memory serves. Our ops manual states that below 10,000ft a full harness must be worn at all times. This is adhered to by everyone I've flown with. Above that - your discretion except that while seated, you MUST have a minimum of a lap strap fastened. Personally, I always sit in the cruise with lap and crutch strap fastened. People tend to take this pretty seriously, after all you never know when turbulence may strike.

I think in the case of the captain being almost sucked out - I would imagine he had a lap strap on and was actually sucked out of his harness. Under different circumstances - probably quite pleasant!!!;) This is however pure speculation on my part.

Hope this helps

Captain Stable
25th Sep 2002, 11:05
Correct, SLT - he did have his lapstrap fastened, as was sucked out of it.