PDA

View Full Version : Student Visa in CANADA

pittss2b
25th Sep 2002, 05:04
Who needs a student Visa in CANADA:

1) If you are coming to hour build or a flying holiday and have a Canadian Licence or an Canadian licence issued on the basis of your Foreign Licence, you can enter the country as a visitor or tourist for 6 months or less. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

2) If you need to convert your licence to a Canadian Licence, you can visit the closest Transport Canada office when you arrive. For a PPL this takes 10-20 minutes and cost around $50 Canadian ($30 US funds). More conversion info at http://www.harvsair.com/training/conversions/index.htm

3) Going to Canada in order to train for any pilot Licence.

If the course is LESS then 6 months NO visa is required and you can enter Canada as a visitor. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.html

If the course is OVER 6 months and the a student visa IS required. Allow 1-2 months to process a student visa. More information on this at http://www.harvsair.com/training/ne...nt.html#foreign

Canadian Luscombe
1st Oct 2002, 04:00
Yep, pretty simple compared to the USA. Their restrictions will likely result in more foreign students choosing Canada and other countries (e.g. Australia, South Africa), to the detriment of American flight schools.

Small business and general aviation takes it in the neck yet again. :rolleyes:

Facts Not Fiction Pls
1st Oct 2002, 12:15
Please tell me why you are making a big deal about a 10 day process?????:rolleyes:

notice
3rd Oct 2002, 01:34
It must be because vocal Americans, such as some politicians and Capt. Gentil, are daft enough to imagine that the hassle being created for foreigners wanting to fly in their country will not lead to a loss of business to other countries.

In advocating the targetting of foreign private pilots, they seem incapable of identifying that any potential terrorist could learn to drive or fly or shoot elsewhere and then enter the USA as a tourist prior to buying an aircraft or airline ticket or boat or car or gun there- all legal ! Also, that people intending to commit criminal acts tend not to bother about bureaucratic compliance, such as having a valid insurance, licence, permit, qualification, visa etc. Even if they do bother, compliance is no deterrent but simply cover, in case of challenge before the crime is committed.

P.S. Just checked the Atlas and, yes, Canada has a very long frontier with the USA so their persecution of pilots could only be effective in reducing business. Anyone know about the attitude to foreign pilots in Mexico, the Bahamas or Cuba ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Oct 2002, 04:59
Notice,

Have I done something to offend you?

I cannot keep quiet on the subject of Visas and Entering the U.S.A. Legally. I do not care if I lose students over it. It is more important to take care of the student than it is to make a few extra pennies.

I would not be able to sleep at night if I were to lie to a student just to get them to my school. It is more important to me, to make sure the student does not get deported and lose the privilege of visiting the U.S.A. for the next decade.

If that makes me Daft, I am very proud to be Daft then.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

FlyingForFun
3rd Oct 2002, 08:20
Richard,

I don't think anyone is having a go at you. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Many people are very frustrated at the US government/FAA/whoever is responsible for these rules. I can imagine that it must be equally as frustrating for you. I know that I, for one, am very grateful that you are taking the time to explore the rules and clarify them, in an effort to make it as easy as possible for foriegn pilots to fly, legally, in the US. But that doesn't make the rules any less stupid or less frustrating.

Personally, I am thankful that I did my hour-building in the US before these rules came into place. I think that if I were looking to fly in America now, I would seriously consider Canada as opposed to the US. This is not a reflection on you, Richard, or on your school, or any other US-based school, but on the authorities.

The only thing which I'd like to add to any advice given here, or in Richard's thread at the top of the forum, is this: regardless of what the requirements are, I would suggest that, if circumstances allow, you get a Visa. It might be that the law says that the particular type of flying you're doing doesn't require a Visa, but I doubt if many immigration officials keep as up-to-date with the rules as we do, especially when they're changing on a nearly-daily basis. If you are unfortunate enough to come across an immigration official who doesn't know the rules as well as you do, and who decides that you need a Visa even though the rules say you don't, you will be sent back home with no right of appeal.

I logged 100 hours in the US over two months, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in the air. I just hope that the authorities see sense soon and make it as easy for other to enjoy this experience as it was for me. In the mean time, thank you, Richard, for your hard work.

FFF
--------------

SpinSpinSugar
3rd Oct 2002, 12:11
As a Brit who's recently had some, err..., entertainment with US immigration and US customs over exactly those issues at the Canadian border, I wholeheartedly agree with FFF.

The various arms of US authority at the borders do not seem to have a very clear grasp of what is and isn't currently legal, nor do they appear to talk to each other very often, if at all. Hence do please err on the side of caution and get yourself a visa for your trip, even if technically it's not a necessity!

Of course, when it's all sorted and you get to fly down from Vancouver to Reno it's all wholly worthwhile - flying in America is a fantastic experience and one I hope soon to repeat!

...As this thread is titled "Canada", however, I'll point out that I've done nearly all my flight training, and all my ratings, there and would recommend it in an instant to anyone!

SSS

Canadian Luscombe
4th Oct 2002, 02:33
Richard,

As you seem to be up on the latest licensing developments, I wonder if you can advise me whether I need to go through the new verification process to have my existing FAA 'piggyback' certificate - issued in 1998 on the basis of my Canadian glider pilot license - endorsed for SEL airplanes on the basis of my Canadian PPL(A) issued 2001?

BTW, what is the process for pilots holding ICAO licenses who wish to qualify for unrestriced FAA certificates? I suppose one would need to maintain an FAA medical, so perhaps I'm better off just sticking with a restricted certificate, which is dependent upon my Canadian medical; however, it might be fun to hold a 'proper' US certificate. In Canada, a foreign license holder is granted credit for all of their hours and doesn't have to complete ground school; they do have to pass the written exam and the flight test (ref. CARS 421.26(9)). Does the US approach differ, and can you supply the reference(s) in the FARS?

Thanks,

Cdn Luscombe