PDA

View Full Version : confused, any stapleford students?

Pilot16
24th Sep 2002, 22:15
Hello,

I was so expecting solo today, it got delayed twice. the runway in use was 04 (grass runway). my instructor told me that the Chief Flying Instructor was not allowing any students to go for their first solo on RNW04 as a few first solo students had accidents trying to land on 04 in the past. Im curious to whether why this is the case :confused: and what kind of accidents :eek: I have landed on the runway so many times and its not difficult at all.
I know there is a few Stapleford students around here. Would anyone kindly enlighten me? :)
Thanks.

iainpoll
25th Sep 2002, 07:39
Hi,

The only one I have heard of was about 4 months ago, C152 was crashed on landing by a first solo on RW04. Pilot was unhurt and aircraft suffered moderate damage (now back in service). I didn't know they had now banned first solo's on this runway - was there a crosswind?

Talking to people in the club house, RW04 is not everyones favourite, due to the downslope, windsheer over the trees etc etc. It is very easy to balloon and then bounce! Sitting in the tower you can see a lot of 'colourful' landings on RW04, so I really don't blame them for restricting first solo's to RW22.

Whos your instructor BTW?

Lawyerboy
25th Sep 2002, 08:18
First solos banned on 04? First I've heard of it, but then my first was on 22 so I suppose I hadn't really thought about it before.

I've always thought 04 was alright, me'self.

FlyingForFun
25th Sep 2002, 08:56
Don't know Stappleford at all, but I know that first solos at White Waltham are banned on 07. I assume it's because of the rather strangely-shaped published circuit, which calls for a turn onto 010 as soon as safe, followed shortly afterwards by a turn to 340 for the cross-wind leg.

The only thing I can say is that these things happens - aviation is full of delays, and you'd better get used to them. But don't worry - your day will come, and will be even better for having to wait for it! :D

FFF
--------------

Final 3 Greens
25th Sep 2002, 09:41
I'm not a student, but I have landed a couple of times on 04 and it does have a marked downslope - it's also grass which increases the landing roll, although I don't recall it being overly rough ground.

This is nothing to worry about for someone with experience, but more challenging than 1500m of level tarmac which is what I did my first solo on.

At the end of the day, a CFI will make a judgement call based on a pragmatic view - you may not realise, but you do your solo flying as a student on your instructors licence so if anything went wrong his/her livelihood could be affected, as well as your confidence.

I would n't be unduly perturbed about this experience, it demonstrates a safety oriented approach which is a good thing.

Pilot16
25th Sep 2002, 11:29
thanks

Iiainpoll, Instructor- Simon Burton.

Yes, there was a lot of crosswind, so i guess that was another factor...to be honest its pretty frustrating when the hours are toppling over and u still havent went solo!

My instructor said, he'll have a word with the Chief Instructor as my landings on 04 arent bad at all ;)

G SXTY
25th Sep 2002, 12:01
I’m not surprised, and I don’t think it’s a bad idea. My 1st solo was on 04L, and I bounced and went around 3 times. Count them. I landed OK off the 4th approach, but the whole experience was a little more ‘exciting’ than I’d have liked – not to mention my poor instructor! :eek:

04L is still my bogey runway – it has quite a steep downslope, so you need to nail the approach speed. A few knots too fast over the numbers, and it’ll happily float half way to North Weald. The temptation is then to push forward and plant it, with predictable results. There can also be some turbulence over the trees, which you won’t get on 22L, so all in all it can be a bit of a challenge.

As already said, it’s no problem at all for more experienced pilots, but you’ve got your hands full enough on 1st solo, without having to worry if you can get it down again.

(And don’t think it’s any comment on you – I had to change from 04L to 28 a couple of weeks back, and that was with over 40 hours, on the way back from a 170 mile QXC.) :o

Rallye Driver
25th Sep 2002, 12:13
If you think 04L is fun, just wait 'til you have to land on 04R hard when the grass is too boggy to use over the winter. Same downslope, but you've got to judge it just right so you don't land on the grass and hit the edge of the tarmac or float too far down the tarmac with the hedge rapidly getting larger in the windscreen.

Even coming over those wretched trees on 28 isn't as bad.

Good luck with your solo, you'll get there eventually. :D

RD

iainpoll
25th Sep 2002, 15:18
Any top tips for landing on 04??

Mine would be, nail your airspeed, watch for the windshear over the trees, make sure your aiming point is the 04L numbers, and do not over flare!!! If you do you will balloon. just a small roundout and flare are required, the downslope will take care of the rest.

Does anyone else worry about clearing the pylons when taking off from 04L?? Hot day? Two 'heavyish' POB? Full fuel? Knackered a/c? Pylons start looking big, 400 ft on altimeter, knowing you need 700ft. Nervous? I know I do.

Iain

Crosswind Limits
25th Sep 2002, 17:08
Did my first solo on 04L in summer 2000 and despite forgetting half my checks downwind, managed to pull off a greaser! :D

Personally I preferred 22L because the circuit was much tighter and it was quite easy to see where everyone else was, although after a 2 weeks honeymoon I produced one of my worst landings on 22L, flaring at about 10ft - ouch!:eek:

I never liked doings circuits on 04L because it was so wide out that I had some trouble working out where everyone was. Didn't think the pylons were much of a hazard following 04L departure. However, I do remember the windshear though and scaring the horses on very short final!! :D

In Altissimus
26th Sep 2002, 10:01
Rallye Driver

I just moved to Stapleford and someone told me they would 'soon' be extending the tarmac all the way back on 04R. That'll be nice for those clear November days I'm praying for :)

I've been used to a lumpy grass runway - when I first landed on 22L the other week I stuffed down the nose after the main gear had landed coz I couldn't feel the usual rumble and shimmy...

Rallye Driver
26th Sep 2002, 12:24
BIAA

The work has been in the pipeline for a while now.

Gossip has it that on the planning application someone said the runway was going to be 'extended', rather than resurfacing the existing length and of course the nimbys picked this up and objected.

The latest ploy to delay the work is for a 'worm survey' to be done on the grass bit, but how you get the worms to co-operate I don't know. Thankfully there aren't any Greater Crested Newts in the area, though the nimbys might be tempted to introduce a colony of course.

RD

Dimensional
29th Sep 2002, 20:43
I have to say, odd as it sounds, I prefer landing on 04L ... I think the better perspective offered by the empty(-ier) approach path or something, plus not worrying about the M25/hedges/pylons etc, make it easier to pull off a proper greaser of 04L...or maybe it's just me being odd.

And yes, I have been worried by the pylons on 04L dearture ... hot day, full fuel in a slightly past it's sell by date C152 with me (large) and my instructor on board.... ahh! those were the days. All my pasengers are too thin (friends and family)... the thing seems to behave like a rocket when I compare it to my training days... :)

-D

CallThatALanding
30th Sep 2002, 13:54
I have never had a problem clearing anything taking off from 04L, some interesting windshear over the trees on short final is a more common issue.

I am more concerned with 22L for take off clearance. My last take off there on a hot day, instructor on board and full tanks in a 152 had the stall warner blaring at the merest hint of elevator. Lots of trees and an antenna dead ahead!

As for landings on 22L, I have had someones undercarriage pass between my car and the lorry in front whilst driving home from the airfield one day. What displaced threshold? :-)