PDA

View Full Version : After how many hours did you go for your first solo?

Pilot16
24th Sep 2002, 21:50
Hi,

Im not sure if this came up before. Just thought it would be interesting to know ;)

and no, it doesnt mean ur a bad pilot if you had ur first solo after a lot of hours, or vice versa. Ive been waiting for my first solo for some time, but something always seems to creep up like, too much traffic, visibilty etc.

Thanks.

BEagle
24th Sep 2002, 21:59
8:05 - sorry, couldn't find an option for that in your poll.

Sugar_Junkie
24th Sep 2002, 22:02
5:55 - Guess I was lucky with weather etc :D

knobbygb
24th Sep 2002, 22:07
7.5 But that doesn't include the literally years of reading about aviation, pestering pilots, watching others, home study etc. that I did before ever going near a light aircraft. Being prepared and knowing exactly what to expect certainley helped - as is true all the time in this hobby, of course.

Pilot16
24th Sep 2002, 22:22
thanks!

people who are not voting, dont worry too much about the minutes, i just want to get a general idea.

Keef
24th Sep 2002, 22:28
17 hours 10 minutes - at a rate of one lesson a month (more booked, but cancelled due wx or cr@p aircraft).

Interesting that folks could be ready to solo in under 9 hours - must be born naturals!

SKYYACHT
25th Sep 2002, 04:44
9.0 hours - but I did have the benefit of a gliding licence, and a good few launches!

Chimbu chuckles
25th Sep 2002, 07:42
8.0:D

Chuck

nonradio
25th Sep 2002, 08:07
P16: It really doesn't matter, as you say - some people are luckier with weather etc. The important thing is to keep it fun.

Lawyerboy
25th Sep 2002, 08:15
27 hours (which equated to about 4 years). The sense of relief was palpable...

poetpilot
25th Sep 2002, 08:19
5 hrs 40 mins in G-ATTI from Elstree in 1970.

...but I had some gliding experience prior to SEP.

BRL
25th Sep 2002, 09:51
knobbygb
Your not my twin are you???? My answer would have been identical to yours but mine was back in '93. :)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
25th Sep 2002, 11:17
6.05, but the training was in one lump. My log book says I started on the Monday and went solo on the Wednesday. I seem to remember the delay was whilst I took the Air Law Exam (one of the prerequisits at the time).

Pilot16
25th Sep 2002, 11:22
I think you still have to do your AirLaw exam before you can go solo...

its getting really frustrating for me. Ive had two extra lessons (2 hours) without goin solo due to congested traffic and bad weather. and now im up to 18 hours :(
oh well. i guess everything happens for the best.

FlyingV
25th Sep 2002, 11:56
6h50m

G SXTY
25th Sep 2002, 12:11
10h50

Aussie Andy
25th Sep 2002, 12:36
P16 - don't be in a rush mate! Life is too short...

Me: 12.5hrs

VIKKI
25th Sep 2002, 14:36
i took 18hrs before my 1st solo couldnt get the hang of
landing

it was worth the wait thou

Kirstey
25th Sep 2002, 14:42
16 Hours for me. Bit of an anticlimax really. More than made up for by the QXC though!

Select Zone Five
25th Sep 2002, 14:56
12:25 for me but I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself!

I. M. Esperto
25th Sep 2002, 15:07
It took me 15. The A/C was a SNJ, or "Harvard".

Lowtimer
25th Sep 2002, 15:17
7hr 10min, PA28-161. But in previous decades I'd had the benefit of some gliding, air cadet Chippie rides etc.

When I did my cadet gliding course in the late 70s, most of us went solo in what look like ridiculously short times. I don't have it to hand but I think it was something like 90 mins total time, spread over a week. Of course, that was mostly in four-minute flights, so lots of launches and landings :-)

Danza
25th Sep 2002, 15:27
9h 10m
Started on the Monday and was solo by Thursday lunch time :D , and I am telling the truth.

knobbygb
25th Sep 2002, 15:38
BRL. No, I only started last year and I'm probably a bit older than you were (32). also, I'm no scouser!;) :D

Pilot 16. Don't worry about the extra hours - you are still learning stuff while you're waiting you know! So what if it takes a little longer? When you get a license the first thing you'll do is..... Go flying and spend more money anyway!:) I had to wait 2 weeks until I'd done my medical and we moved on to some of the advanced stuff in the training area. Is this an option for you?

I. M. Esperto
25th Sep 2002, 15:47
Here's what I soloed in:

http://www.orgsites.com/ca/caf-socal/NoAmerSNJ-5.htm

BIG MISTER
25th Sep 2002, 15:57
5 hours 39 mins including the solo time (I think)
Over 2 weekends at Swanton Morley in 1986.

Mind you that was when I was 17 years old !

After not flying again for about 13 years it took me quite a bit longer the 2nd time around !!!

But its not a race !

Things like your solo time have quite alot to do with luck with the WX and money to be able to do fly reguarly.

Enjoy !

:D :D :D

dedstikyfingerz
25th Sep 2002, 16:07
3hrs and a bit!
Incase no one replyed to air law question, don't need it to go solo it's just advisable. all you need is a medicle and to satis the instructor.
The nearest ppl solo i found to mine was 4hrs 50, obviously olden days first go was first solo but i,d b interested in knowing whos done in less than three. It was a JAA licence also!:D :D

Mr. TCU
25th Sep 2002, 17:18
26 hours for me. I could only fly on some weekends and then when I could fly, I had several weather cancellations. Figuring out how to land took me a bit longer. Never had much of a problem with anything else though.

Some people must really be gifted if they can solo in a few short hours...

matspart3
25th Sep 2002, 17:35
7 hours 10 minutes, 29th Feb '96, having started on 5th Feb. Did it on my lunchbreak, went back to work with huge smile and cleared everyone for straight in approaches for the rest of the day!

Evo
25th Sep 2002, 18:00
How odd - 32 replies and nobody took 19-21 hours.

Took 18 myself, although that did include Ex. 19 - the weather was too bl**dy cr@ppy to do anything else... :)

HelenD
25th Sep 2002, 18:19
Well I took 66 hours but only 7 hours on the type I soloed in. All the rest prior to that were at a different airfield on a different type. I still have yet to solo the type that has given me most of my hours, maybe one day...

Captain Airclues
25th Sep 2002, 22:48
7 hours in G-ARAX on 29th March 1965 at Carlisle.

Airclues

Captain Airclues
26th Sep 2002, 10:33
#1 son soloed in 7h 00m at Dundee in 1993.

#2 son soloed in 3h 40m at Clacton (Super Cub G-ARAM) in 1994.

#3 son soloed in 7h 10m at Southend in 2000.

Airclues

Holdposition
26th Sep 2002, 18:26
28 hrs to solo inc 5 different FI's, anyone know the a???hole at EGNH might get my drift, 26 hours from solo to completion with one FI and further ratings with same guy.

Moral as has been said before if u get on with person in LHS stick to them like glue if possible:).

Saab Dastard
26th Sep 2002, 18:34
8 hours 40 minutes

With the benefit of 20-something hours gliding experience

SD

mattpilot
26th Sep 2002, 19:32
19.5 hours

- flight school policy - they wouldn't let me solo earlier :(

but believe me, i was ready after my first flight - had a frasca 141 (sim) flight before that too, though - . :cool:

carl-d
26th Sep 2002, 20:09
Hi everyone, new to the site I'm just flicking through the topics this seemed an easy one to start with.
I did a little under 17 hours for my first solo, at a rate of one lesson a week.:)

Specaircrew
27th Sep 2002, 11:29
5:00 hrs, did my first solo at Sywell on my 17th birthday.

cessnababe
27th Sep 2002, 21:50
Hours to solo is not necessarily an indication of ability, since the instructor has such a huge influence. My instructor said I would never get a licence - such arrogance from a 24 year old with all of 400 hours!! Because he was such a useless instructor - e.g. screaming at me and grabbing the controls and never any sight of a pre-flight briefing- I nearly gave up twice. Eventually went solo aged 32 after a change of instructor and a change of aircraft, eleven months after first lesson and 20+ hours. But hey so what?? I have an ATPL and nearly 5000 hours, FIE etc. so does it really matter??

I. M. Esperto
28th Sep 2002, 01:43
I had a no-nonsense Captain Schlaut USMC, fresh in from combat in F-9's.

Do it, do it right, or GO, boy.

wookiepilot
28th Sep 2002, 09:44
13hours:D -lucky for some!

With regard to the air law exam, you should do it b4 going solo, but I understand that your flying school/CFI can use discretion if they are happy with ur capabilities and have taken u for that all important circuit b4 they hand the controls over. No looking back when you have done it...............G00D LUCK TO ANYONE ABOUT TO GO SOLO!!!!!;)

inbalance
28th Sep 2002, 16:55
6 hours 27 minutes

Thumpango
28th Sep 2002, 22:42
I really don't want to say, so I will just tick the 22+ box!

Whirlybird
29th Sep 2002, 14:41
cessnababe,

A very good point, and as a 40+-hours-to-first-solo pilot, one I make frequently. And I have a CPL(H) and nearly 500 hours f/w and rotary total time and....why bother, I have nothing to prove.

Yet the hours-to-first solo thread comes up regularly on this forum. And despite claiming not to, those who soloed early feel very good about it; those who didn't are embarrassed. I felt that way for a long time too.

Why do people feel so strongly that it matters? As many people have pointed out, there are all sorts of reasons for soloing early or late. And even if there aren't... Are pilots just an exceptionally competitive bunch, or what? Especially on a Private Flying forum, where everyone claims to fly for fun. :confused:

Maybe someone would like to explain this obsession to me please.

Tiger_ Moth
29th Sep 2002, 20:33
I did it in 13 hours, spread over about 9 months.
I'm quite surprised to see that so many people did it in under 10 hours.

I think that time to first solo does indicate flying ability to an extent, but only if all things are equal: weather, a/c type, instructors, frequency of flying etc etc.... and of course all things are very rarely equal. However it's only natural to want to be good at something and of course you'd be proud if you soloed in 4 hours or whatever when the average is probably 15 or something.

Esperto, congratulations on doing your first solo on a harvard. What a novelty!
Where'd you do that and how much was the hourly rate? I was surprised to hear that you could learn on that ab initio as it's quite advanced. By the way I've never heard one of them referred to as an snj before: only Harvards and AT6 Texans.

Volume
30th Sep 2002, 07:24
3:28 or 46 flights for my first solo on a glider,
0:22 or 6 flights for my first motorglider solo,
0:42 or 8 flights for the single engine aircraft solo.

so this makes 4:32 alltogether :D
unable to find this in the polling list

PA28-161
30th Sep 2002, 11:55
I remember it well...my instructor and I are still good friends, he flies EasyJet now, but he was a real joker. Had a lovely day at Eglinton airport in Londonderry, did a few circuits with him in a 152, then when we landed he had me stop at an intersection beside the GA apron....to my horror he called the twr asking for 1st solo, then jumped out, slammed the door and ran off!!! Talk about fear! :)
All was well though...

Loony_Pilot
30th Sep 2002, 17:18
16.5 hours to 1st solo, I felt I was ready at about 13.

As an instructor I havent had many (if any)students solo in much less than 10-11 hours. Of course it does depend on how often you fly and many other factors like weather, number of instructors you fly with, how busy the airfield is.. its easier to solo at a quiet grass airstrip than it is at somewhere very very busy

I really dont see it as a race, or a competition in any way. I'd rather the student was safe and very competent at dealing with any potential problem that might arise.

If it was purely an exercise in getting the aircraft off the ground, round the circuit and back onto the ground again then it could be done very very quickly indeed.. but it wouldnt be sensible, safe or beneficial to anyone!

Cessnababe... its a shame you had the displeasure of flying with an arrogant 400 hour 24yr old instructor!!
Gives the rest of us 24 yr old 500 hour instructors a bad name!!!

Dale Harris
3rd Oct 2002, 10:14
5.3 hours, but where did it get me?

rossco18_uk
3rd Oct 2002, 11:41
Took me 15 hours, departing from KIMM (Immokalee Airport, Florida) on the 8th Sep 2002. Very thrilling experience!!!!! :D

paulo
3rd Oct 2002, 22:37
late teens I think.

Slow learner. But weirdly a few tens later I got hooked on aeros and never looked back. Or Up. Or Over. Or... :-)

Biggest revelation was the usual how to land thing: Try not to land! You land!

PickyPerkins
5th Oct 2002, 19:10
Biggles took "a week" (p. 15, "Biggles Learns to Fly", Captain W.E. Johns).

Mr Wolfie
9th Oct 2002, 06:47
First solo yesterday (16.25 hours) :D

(First PPRUNE post today) :rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!

Elvis21
9th Oct 2002, 13:50
4hrs 5 min, but i would not say that an early solo makes you a better pilot, just quick to grasp the very basics:cool:

slim_slag
9th Oct 2002, 18:37
4hrs 5 min, but i would not say that an early solo makes you a better pilot, just quick to grasp the very basics

That's about right. Some would say that the 'very basics' are not nearly enough to cut somebody lose in a busy traffic pattern.

wolverhamptonlad
11th Oct 2002, 14:50
20.1 hours - it was flying school policy that you had to pass Air Law before you could solo in-case you had to divert to a different airfield etc etc. I did my PPL in under four weeks so my solo was in the middle of the second week. PPL finished in 47.2 hours

jonathang
11th Oct 2002, 15:46
29 hours for me figure about half was transit time to another airfield for circuits and orbiting to get back in.

Over a period of 9 months.

Navigation dual, Solo hour building, XCQ in a month, amazing hour quick you can progress when you get consistent weather.

QDMQDMQDM
12th Oct 2002, 22:39
In the 40s it used to take 15-20 hours to get an 'A' licence in an Auster. What conclusons do we draw?

QDM

cessnababe
13th Oct 2002, 18:22
It does seem as if the hours to first solo theme is a competitive pilot obsession. Perhaps there are a couple of useful extra questions which should be linked, i.e. how old were you when you learnt to fly? Over what period of time and how many total hours to get the licence?

As an instructor for more than ten years, I have noticed that in general the older you are the longer it takes to solo and the longer the period of learning the longer to solo. It seems fairly consistent that those who learn in a concentrated period whether in the USA where the weather is consistent, or whether on a flying scholarship or integrated course, will solo in 10-15 hours. However the most extreme example I came across was a student of 55ish who soloed in nearly 100 hours and completed the PPL in 125.

Amongst my own students there have been several aged over 50 who took 40 or more hours to solo and then completed the training in about 70-80 hours total. I really do not think that this is unusual in our climate and also given the fact that as you get
older it becomes harder to learn new motor skills. Add to that the increased fear....

As to the chaps in the 40's getting a licence in 20 hours, well there was so much less to do - they did not have to bother about the radio nor really worry about navigation - they could land in a field and ask the way!! (Sorry been reading too much Biggles)

Baily
13th Oct 2002, 19:01
23.3 for my PPL(H) but I was 55.

I now have 700 rotary hours and am a bit older!

billybeer
15th Oct 2002, 11:31
8hrs 10 min

Solarus
16th Oct 2002, 11:06
5hrs 40mins but flying is in the Family. Alot of people think it is a big thing but I still had to do the 45 hours to get my license (even if that has included a night rating aswell). I have friends that took 15hours to first solo and still finished their ppl in minimums.

;)

slim_slag
16th Oct 2002, 16:20
For what it's worth, here is the Jeppesen private pilot syllabus for Part 141 in the States.

Lesson 1: Introduction to Flight. 0.5
Lesson 2: Ground Ops. 1.0
Lesson 3: Basic Maneuvers. 1.0 + 0.2 hood
Lesson 4: Airport Ops. 1.0 + 0.2 hood
Lesson 5: Emergency Landing. 1.0 + 0.2 hood
Lesson 6: Advanced Maneuvers. 1.0
Lesson 7: Ground Ref Maneuvers. 1.0 + 0.2 hood
Lesson 8: Review. 1.0 + 0.2 hood
and after 7.5 hours + 1.0 under hood

Lesson 9: First Solo!!! 0.5

So this gets all the important stuff in and looks good on paper, but it's still a bit ambitious for me, when do you practice the actual landing? Even the wonder kids (and there are some out there, but not many) need a few hours dedicated to pattern work before you can cut them loose. It's closer to fifteen hours for most people if you get all the above in.

PPPPP
18th Oct 2002, 10:52
14 hrs 30 mins, today!!
It was the perfect flying morning, viz unlimited, no wind, crisp air.
Three circuits with my instructor and yet more EFATO practice, then a checkout with a different instructor (club rule) and off I went.
Just like the other great source of pleasure it was over far too quickly, and like everybody says, it was my best landing so far:)
The odd thing is, it felt perfectly natural to be alone in the aeroplane..... I will probably stop grinning by tomorrow.

seat_of_my_pants
18th Oct 2002, 11:04
congratulations PPPPP!

working towards mine

Now go and drink alcohol,

Well done,

SOMP

djk
18th Oct 2002, 17:50
It took me 24 hours spread out over 17 months. Took a while for my landings to be consistent. Strange thing was I could land really well in poor weather with a bit of x-wind, but whenever it was clear skies with barely any wind I'd have major problems :D

PPPPP ,
congrats on your first solo, the grin lasts a lot longer than just a day. :D

Wolfie,
congrats too on your first solo :D

simonh11
31st Oct 2002, 10:45
I did my first solo after 16 years training ;)

First lesson in May '84, did about 17 hrs over the next 5 yrs, restarted training late '01, first solo Jan '02 with about 35 hrs TT.

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Nov 2002, 15:02
6.20 - the benefits of a residential course :)

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Nov 2002, 21:06
Go on then:

Gliding: 4h49min
SLMG: 2h16min
SEL: 2h

And as I am just a brilliant pilot I would be of the opinion that these achievements are the result of an exceptional talent.

FD (and modest too of course):D

t'aint natural
4th Nov 2002, 19:15
Frank Robinson, who makes the helicopter most widely used across the world for training, recommends that nobody go solo before 20hr, in order to remove the counter-productive and potentially deadly competitive edge.

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Nov 2002, 19:31
And this is based on which piece of research?

Most people go solo when their instructor deems them ready. I dont think you will find it easy to find any instructor willing to let anyone go before they are ready, based upon a thorough assessment of the pupil.

After all the mountain of paperwork to get through if something goes wrong is so big that it would put anyone off.

May be Mr Robinson's real strength is designing helicopters.

MHO of course others may have a different opinion.

FD

bcpilot
27th Nov 2002, 17:53
24 hours, but I had almost all my hood work done and was working on short and soft field landings. (My medical took 2 months to get processed)

FaPoGai
27th Nov 2002, 19:25
Well what happened was that we unpacked the box and bolted the bits together and then my mate and I pushed it out of the barn and into our field and just went flying.

It was only later on that day that I was talking to this chap in the pub (I think he was a real airline pilot) and he said dont you think you ought to get a few lessons and a licence? I had no idea that you needed any of that.

Anyway, the CAA did not want to recognise my previous experience so I decided bu--er that, and what we have done is to let the dogs out down at the gate and keep the 12 bore loaded and just carry on like all our mates do. First Solo, do'nt make me larf.
F.P.G.

aidanf
30th Nov 2002, 08:44
Ok, I haven't done my first solo yet - only just 3hrs in total, but last lesson was circuits - 4 in total of which the last two were flown totally by myself (touch and go and full stop). No, I wasn't concentrating so hard that the main man was doing the real flying, I know for a fact that I had full control. Anyone like to hazard a guess as to when I could hope to get my solo at this rate. It's not that I think I'm great or anything - it's just that I don't have any reference points to know what the rate of development is - so I'd like opinions - if 3hrs = successful circuits then solo = ?

Safe
30th Nov 2002, 09:05
Joined a flying club, 11 Hours in a C152, failed medical, got P****D off with flying, took up embroidery and morris dancing instead but found them a bit dangerous (sharp needles and ill fitting clogs),

Welcome the NPPL, passed the medical, different club, different aircraft - Robin HR 200, 14 hours, 1st. solo at last.

the question is - is that 25 hours or 14 hours???

Kefuddle_UK
30th Nov 2002, 19:09
Aidanf and all other v.low hours soloists :)

I am ready for solo at 8 hours. Will do this tomorrow weather permitting :rolleyes:

However, I have to ask, I can't see how someone with no flying experience can cover everything needed to do circuits within 7 hours at least. I mean my 8 hours involved learning all about the various configurations of level, climbing, descending, PFL, stalls, go-arounds and circuits. Most lessons covering more than one subject. Just how is it possible to fit that into 3 hours(!!!) never mind 5 or 6 as some other flyers have gone solo in. I'm flying at weekends, are these low times because of previous aircraft handling familiarity (Gliding, Microlights, Air Training Corps, etc) or through commercial Ab-initio courses :confused:

Just-a-wondering :)

Kef.

chipped prop
30th Nov 2002, 23:36
i used to operarate a very large car driving school in sussex i was always wary of pupils passing their driving tests in only a limited amount of driving lessons were they skilled or lucky ? experience suggests they were lucky.I feel the same way about flying .the number of lessons one has on order to go solo is not important or in my opinion relevant to obtaining a pilots licence.flying is one activity which has in my experience so many variable factors that it is almost childish to judge ones flying ability by the time it takes to go solo,going solo is fantastic but only the first step to heaven!!

ex jump pilot
1st Dec 2002, 11:52
My 17 hours prior to solo would be typical of UK based training at a major airfield flying every week or so (week days only) starting in the spring. Time off work was needed (used annual leave allowance) and the money saved by not going on a holiday paid for the lessons) slowed things down.
However, the GFT was logged as "above average" which I was told meant I'd achieved a higher standard as a result of the longer learning process.
Then progressed immediately to fly tailwheel a/c only to discover I didn't fly that well nor was I very apt at making command type decisions.
With that cleared up, went on to higher things... ;)

The Inspector
1st Dec 2002, 17:44
4:20 mins, 8/10/83 at Southend.

I've always been a bit embarrased at how quickly it happened. Either I was a natural, or my instructor was scared..........

Elvis21
5th Dec 2002, 08:40
Why would you be wary of anyone who had gone solo quickly? (4hrs for me)

Surely it just means that they can pick new concepts up quickly. PFl's circuits etc. When you have been shown them once you can then pick it up very quickly and have mastered it enough to do a solo circuit.
Just a thought

Kefuddle_UK
6th Dec 2002, 19:19
Why would you be wary of anyone who had gone solo quickly? (4hrs for me)

Surely it just means that they can pick new concepts up quickly. PFl's circuits etc. When you have been shown them once you can then pick it up very quickly and have mastered it enough to do a solo circuit.
Just a thought

I dunno really. I got everything first time too. But taking into account the amount of time it takes to taxi, do power checks, take-off, transit to the training area, perform each of the manouvers, return, land, taxi and shutdown it just does not seem mathematically possible to go through lessons 4 to 16 in the Thom book in four hours! If other schools only do the bare minimum to get a quick solo then the number of hours measure is pretty meaningless!

Elvis21
9th Dec 2002, 14:16
depends whether you land after each exercise also

Kefuddle_UK
9th Dec 2002, 23:12
Good point! Kind of validates the view that hours to solo maybe meaningless though :)

Elvis21
10th Dec 2002, 08:32
couldn't agree more. I would not suggest that the fewer hours to solo makes a better pilot

Trislander
10th Dec 2002, 12:18
Also agree with the above.
I think that it's more important to ask 'after how many hours training did you pass the Skills test' rather than 1st solo.

Regards,
Tri

Flyboy-F33
10th Dec 2002, 22:54
5h 40m, but it was a v.long time ago.

rmcdonal
11th Dec 2002, 08:26
It took me about 11 or so hours. But im only 16 and did it over 3 months:D

stopbar
13th Dec 2002, 11:15
1hr 45 min with some gliding experience in a Condor at cranwell in 1977. Oh so long ago

AliB
13th Dec 2002, 18:18
9 hours - but, in common with a lot of the sub 10s that was with quite a few uncounted flying hours before - air cadets in my case. I went throught the general handling exercises in the first three lessons and thus got the the circuit relatively early.

My final total was more average though. I agree that first solo time is not a good measure of flying ability. Landing is a black art - catching on early doesnt really say much about overall ability.

Its fun though - definitely my favourite phase of flight.

Ali

Kefuddle_UK
13th Dec 2002, 20:41
Did anybody know that Douglas Bader went solo in 8.5 hours?

I now have this incredible urge to say:

"The facts, brought to you by Flightline!"

Help!

chipjockey
14th Dec 2002, 19:36
So as I read a number of the comments here if I have achieved first solo and licence in a miimum number of hours I am probably unsafe.
I have to apologise now. I got to solo after a little over five hours and achieved all skill tests etc. signed off in under 35 hours and had to complete hours burning holes in the sky to achieve the minimum number of hours for licence issue.
With 1,800 hours under my belt now and types ranging from Tiger Moth to Cessna 310 and R22 I owe a number of people apologies.
I realise I should have taken 20 hours to solo and 100 hours to licence issue. I am simply unsafe. I have to apologies to those people I have flown in that time for not injuring any of them.
I apologise to those people who have let mey fly their aircraft for not damaging them. I really must do something to achieve my appropriate 'less safe' badge.
I now accept the error of my ways and am prepared to make a public apology. Indeed I should attend the next PPRUNE fly in at Duxford and cause a major incident or two endangering at least five lives and damaging three aircrfat.
Only then can I feel that I have complied with the wisdom of many on this thread. Developing skills early is clearly a bad thing. Extending ones skill set by taking instruction in advanced techniques is foolish unless you have served your time cocking up approaches.
What right do I have, not being a superman, to have a broadly based incident free aviation history when I was not prepared to do things slowly as many suggest. Clearly none at all and I await the knock on the door from the aviation police asking me to surrender my licence.

Kefuddle_UK
22nd Dec 2002, 23:33
You're a great guy Chip! At the same time perfect and yet self deprecating. You can fly like no other. I really wish I had the skill to go solo in five whole hours but alas I have resigned my self to the fact that I can never meet your high standards. I just hope and prey that one day I migh be your F/O. I will be an incomplete pilot until that day.

On a final note, may I say "thank you" for adding so much to the quality of the debate.

Pom Pax
23rd Dec 2002, 06:49
I get the impression that the longer ago you did your training the lower the time. Is this because nowadays clubs/instructors are more liability minded?
My score 8.0 thought I was backward because believed the average was 6ish.
Had previous gliding experience like most of the sub 10s, plus plenty of time standing behind or sitting beside the driver as a directional consultant.

Yosser
24th Dec 2002, 08:49
2.8 hours, G-BCUJ at Sandtoft on 25/8/89.

Was Silver "C" gliding conversion.

And I am hung like a baboon.

Dan Winterland
24th Dec 2002, 10:56
8.20 - in one week. On a taildragger though.

Viggie Driver
24th Dec 2002, 15:37
4 Hours :D In a Robin R2112

However, to be totally honest, I already have 32 hours (incl. quite a bit of solo on a Grob 109B) But it's a taildragger + Tarmac = Absolute Bitch!

finfly1
25th Dec 2002, 16:24
It was forty years ago, in a very remote rural area of NY state that I did my primary training at age 18. It was a piper cub fitted with skiis. The unpaved runway was marked by tires. There was no radio, no traffic, and no advanced navigation skills needed for solo. Spin training was required however, which is a real attention focuser if ever there was one! It took me 8 hours to get signed off, or about six more than I felt I needed at that age.

RiskyRossco
26th Dec 2002, 06:37
Pilot16,
8.75hr.. though it was a while ago. I was lucky, trained during the week at a small 'drome so nil traffic. Etched in the brain, greased the first landing in, rest of the week I could NOT get it.

Then the CAD changed rules on sight correction parameters. Haven't tried to go again....

Easy226
4th Jan 2003, 22:15
7.6 Hours in a C152, great fun!!!!!!!!

Kingy
10th Jan 2003, 15:01
Here's my story - 10.5 hrs... Medical problems

At my initial medical the AME found a snag. This started off a whole process of examination.
I got referred to my GP - he referred me to a consultant, I had barium meal X rays done and other painful 'explorations'. My (former) GP then summoned me in and explained, matter of fact, that I probably had Cancer...! I was rushed in for an indescribable test that involved a general anaesthetic - The outcome? ... Absolutely NO PROBLEM.

Throughout all this I kept the lessons up and was ready to solo at about 6or7hrs... was a Bronze 'C' glider pilot.. My logbook shows about 3hrs of EX16 and 17 to fill in the time as the medical was holding things up.

It took 6 months of worry from the initial exam to getting the medical signed off and I was dismayed to find it back dated from the initial exam!

My actual first solo came a day after the medical arrived and, although chuffed, I was much more pleased just to be alive!

Kingy

squawking 7700
10th Jan 2003, 17:13
Thought I'd post to make it the 100th.

First glider solo 29 launches

First power solo with only four entries in my logbook! after 6:35

Like Kingy, above, I too had a medical problem that resulted in
'second first' solo's.
Resumed gliding whilst on a course of chemotherapy (although not for cancer) and flew in between infusions.
For the power stuff I had to wait until I was off some steroids but still on a milder course of chemotherapy before re-soloing, finishing my PPL and completing night and IMC ratings all in less than a year.

And I must say, the CAA were great, very supportive and knowledgable about a rare condition and very keen to get me back flying as soon as possible.

Squawking 7700

phnuff
10th Jan 2003, 23:44
13hrs10 min - at Bourne, in a 152 and had the fun of a microlite cutting me up on final (When I landed, my instructor realised how angry I was with the Microlite pilot, that he would not let me out of the plane and we just went back to Luton - we were not allowed to solo as trainees at Luton. I'm glad he did to be honest, I was so angry, I would probably have got into a lot of trouble !!

the wizard of auz
11th Jan 2003, 08:42
5.7hrs, had a great instuctor. I managed to get all my other licences/ratings/endorsments/approvals in minimum time as well.

NORCA
6th Feb 2003, 20:36
9 Hours. One of the most memorable moments of my life.

Got hooked and moved up the PPL foodchain and started IR training at 120 hours. Really began to hit walls on an “approved course”. What was truly startling was an interface with military pilots who were converting to civvy licenses and would transit the flight school in a few days taking 4 or 5 hours to complete training and obtain a first time pass on IRFT. Most were talented and some could drive a C310 as though it was on rails. They had so much spare mental capacity that they could peel an orange and do the Times crossword while flying an ILS to Cat 1 minima. Truly depressing watching that from the middle row!

A wise instructor at the establishment said “ slow learners rarely leave smoking holes in the ground – we’ve time to sort them out: it’s the quick ones we worry about”

Slow or fast – much depends on who you learn with and that word “learn” is the key

Chilli Monster
6th Feb 2003, 22:32
Another Gliding conversion - 2.45, but a damn good instructor who toook me through PPL, Night, IMC and Multi in 100 hours.

the wizard of auz
7th Feb 2003, 11:18
About to be let lose in a whirlymagig.........estimating about 7 hrs. I will post after I manage to do it without breaking anything. Again, great instructors.

ihaeuselmann
7th Feb 2003, 14:52
I did my first solo after 18h, those 18 hours included cross country flying, 1 hour X-wind landing training and a total of 69 logged landings!

It was great fun to finally get to do the first solo! (3 Touch and Goes)

Number Cruncher
9th Feb 2003, 20:59
Today, after 11 hours and 42minutes! (including 12 minutes waiting at the runway hold for a take off slot!!!!!!!!!)

Still nice feeling, and brings home the reality that the boyhood dream has been realised - well, part of it....bring on the 737!

essouira
9th Feb 2003, 21:55
Well I took 20 hours to first solo but passed my skills test after 43.5 hours training, which was minimum at the time. The student that I am most proud of took over 40 hours to do her first solo but got her licence eventually and is now a safe, excellent pilot. Don't know if any of this proves anything bit I still reckon that people are very different and you can't make judgements quickly. Enjoy all your flying and you'll be a good pilot one day.

mumraaa
10th Feb 2003, 19:45
I did mine in 6.5 hrs and was the most awesome experience of my life. My instructor told me that I was not allowed to take my skills test though, until I had the 45hrs JAR legal minimum. Got my licence issued with 47hrs, including the GFT.

Now I am completely obsessed, and skint.

Nigey
11th Feb 2003, 07:54
I'm at 25 hours and still not quite there... I started flying a few years ago then ran out of money, began again at more or less the same time as starting a new job and took an age to get round to studying for the Air Law and Human Performance. Now I have just got back in to it. I have sooooo many T+G's in my logbook and my landings are much better now, so it should be soon. Can't wait actually! I just need to get my Class 2 renewed first...

AirScrew
11th Feb 2003, 15:06
5 hours 25mins.

But that was made easier by doing in it in a 3 week block, and so I went solo on the 3rd day.

Having some gliding experience does help significantly. It seems pathetic now, but I found the R|T a real challenge.
And ofcourse PFL's were a doddle...

Best of luck to all of you who are still 'en-route'. Stick with it, its worth it....

:D :D :D

sr562
27th Feb 2003, 18:28
I went solo after 14 hours. That was after two failed attempts due to weather. But its still the best feeling ive ever had.

Leclairage
28th Feb 2003, 11:53
What seems to vary from one school to another is how much of the syllabus has to be taught & proficiency demonstrated before the magic of first solo is allowed.
At Cabair I (correctly in my opinion) had to learn and demonstrate EFATO, etc. etc. before being allowed to go solo.
Oh. And I took some time to master the flare, so I was a shade over 16 hours before mine.
3 things I remember - how quickly the 172 climbed without an instructor, no leg in the way to get to flap control, and total, utter euphoria!!

Northern Highflyer
28th Feb 2003, 13:00
I can't remember without looking at my logbook but it was somewhere in the region of 30 hours due to weather etc. I could have done it sooner but on the first time of asking it was a bit blustery and I didn't feel happy so declined. My mind was not on the job fully that day.

I flew just on weekends and then had to miss 3 months with bad weather at the beginning of 2002 so I had to have a couple of hours refresher when I started again. Have to admit I found the landing the hardest. I wasn't too worried about the hours I was taking, just in getting it on the deck safely. Why be macho and try too soon, nothing to gain only an early grave.

Like Leclairage I had to know EFATO plus stall recovery inside out as well as mastering glide approaches, flapless approaches and low level circuits before I could go solo. My first 10 hours covered 8 different instructors which I wasn't happy about as they all look for different things. Once I got settled with one instructor life was easier.

By the time I finally did my first solo I had already completed my 3 dual Nav flights. Once I had gone solo I was straight into my solo nav flights, doing all my solo at the very end of the course.

One point I think needs to be remembered is the airfield people train at and the instructors. I had a 500m narrow grass runway to aim for, not a 2000+m lump of tarmac like you get at East Midlands. When I did my QXC into there I couldn't miss and if I got it a bit wrong (which I didn't) knew I had time to correct it.

That said - congrats to those that did it quickly. Whether you take 5 hours or 50 hours to first solo - at the end of the course we are all pilots. :}

BeauMan
28th Feb 2003, 19:38
I was sent off to do mine in C152 G-BIOC by the late Danny Woolf after 7hrs 20 mins, although I did have various Chipmunk AEF rides and a BGF certificate under my belt, which all helped enormously. :)

DRJAD
3rd Mar 2003, 13:16
Somewhere between 10&12 hrs. this time, I seem to recall....
Actually, I was a cheat because I already had around 18hrs (incl. solo) from a financially abortive attempt to work towards a licence 20 years ago. Came back to it last year, went through the whole course and got the licence on 28th Dec..

Syllabus (recent) up to solo encompassed EFATO, PFLs, SSAT, etc., which was extremely reassuring - though the general euphoria (amplified by finally having got back tothe standard I had been at all those years previously) prevented me from thinking too much about them during the solo!

Holloway
5th Mar 2003, 12:12
I think the safe standard would be 10-15 hrs. And what i mean is from the first time you get in the cockpit to solo, not going with a friend or someone and geting the hang of the whole thing before starting actual hours. Im just talkin from my experience cause id never flown a plane and I worked hard and did it in 11 hours :)

phnuff
6th Mar 2003, 19:54
Just checked my log book - 15hrs 10 minutes. At Luton, students were not allowed to solo so at the time we had to fly to Bourn (35-40 minutes each way). That was where most of my dual solo flying took place too. If I take those trips off, it comes down to somewhere around 11-12 hours.

Like most people I remember my first solo like it was yesterday including the moron in the microlight who appeared from the left in front of me on short final (200 feet). The instructor would not let me have a chat to him when I eventually landed. Probably just a well as I dont think I would have wanted to discuss landing technique with him !!

What interesting things happened to others on their first solo ?

chipped prop
8th Mar 2003, 19:08
i still think it is sad to rate hours to solo as significant in the overall picture. perhaps i am getting old and boring.if i were an instructor i would not let a student solo until 10-20 hours of varied experience, yet still this is nothing in obtaining knowledge to fly in command taking into account the possible variables relative to weather let alone anything else.

pittss2b
8th Mar 2003, 23:51
Average for our school is 14 hours to first solo. A HUGE variable is how frequently the student flies. "Full time" students usually solo within the first week of starting. Students with less then 10 hours to solo often have an aviation background. The low record is 5 hours, the highest highest we had was 33 hours (over 3 years).

Adam
www.harvsair.com

grumman_driver
11th Mar 2003, 13:22
11,2 hrs, but gusty x-winds delayed the solo for quite some time. Trained in Minnesota in May, had the licence after 3 weeks and 46,3 hrs in the air.

SteveQB
17th Mar 2003, 13:20
Today - could the weather have been any better? (15 hrs 40). After approaching for a touch and go, landing well, suddenly my instructor took control and told the tower we were going to do a full stop. I thought there was something seriously wrong! He jumped out and off I went.

What a feeling!

Cheers

Steve

EchoKiloEcho
17th Mar 2003, 15:46
SteveQB

What a lovely day it was! The rest of the week will be like this.

What airport or flying school did you fly from?
Good luck with the rest of your ppl.:)

My first solo flight was at 11hrs. Completed my ppl after 46hrs in 5 weeks, with 1 week of bad weather in between.

EKE:cool:

Bevan666
19th Mar 2003, 04:44
Took me 7.1 hours in a lovely PA-28. No previous experience, except for all I could erad about aviation in 17 years...
:)

Bevan..

hadagutful
19th Mar 2003, 10:31
First solo back in the late sixties.

Was in that beautiful little fully aerobatic 2 seat Aussie designed and built Victa Airtourer.

Didn't break any records achieving it in 7.5 hours but I was only 16!
Had to be driven to Moorabbin airport (Melbourne), too young for driver's licence. But who cared about driving, I could fly!!
Now flying and doing aerobatics in the bigger brother, the ex-air force CT-4/A.

SteveQB
19th Mar 2003, 15:16
Thanks VM EKE. It was from Booker (High Wycombe). I'm getting frustrated now, I would normally have lessons booked for Thu and Fri, but my instructor is on holiday, so i will miss the weather. Grrrr.

rottenlungs
20th Mar 2003, 13:40
11.2 hrs in PA-38 in sunny Nelson.

That was back in January, waiting more money before I can continue...

The grin lasted for weeks!

Rottenlungs

Fancy Navigator
1st Apr 2003, 01:21
Hi folks
12hrs when the instructor jumped off the plane and let me go on my own... I have to say that I wonder how people can solo after 5 or 6 hours with nil experience prior to start....!!!??? Unless your objective is to go solo in the minimum time and your training is intensive and covers many things at the same time, how can you possibly do it?
For example:
1 hour for effects controls....
1 hour for straight and level flight.....
1 hour for medium level turns....
1 hour for stalls....
1 hour for the incipient stages of the stall....
1 hour for climbs/descents.... with climbing/descending turns....
1 hour of circuits....
Briefing on emergency procedures (EFATO, flapless approach....) = 1 hour.....
That's already 8 hours and I probably forget things..... So unless all these aspects of training are learned in a rush, I think it is very difficult to go solo after only a few hours, if not impossible....
What's the value of learning all these in a rush anyway?
Cheers :)

PPRuNe Radar
1st Apr 2003, 01:52
Less than 10 hours option added .... that's me ;)

mfds
1st Apr 2003, 17:27
22 Hours - after learning with with a well since 'gone' school who used to hours build, ie. 4 hours instruments, steep turns etc all before 1st solo.

I had a blazing argument all the way down finals with my instructor accusing them of hours building and said I wanted to land of this one and I was going elsewhere ......... to my amazement he got out and sent me solo !

PS : That was 16 years ago, I now have >6000 hours an GA instructor and airline pilot for a major flag carrier.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many hours it takes. Having 1000's of hours instructing nowadays I would say everyone is different, plus weather considerations in the UK its sometimes better to keep people flying ....
Some people go solo early but struggle with nav ..... generally the younger and keener people are the quicker they go solo .... but sometimes you get a student who has 'mental block' on landings ..... my philosphy is to send people asap before they go off the boil assuming they are safe ......

Happy Flying !

High Wing Drifter
2nd Apr 2003, 04:42
12hrs when the instructor jumped off the plane and let me go on my own... I have to say that I wonder how people can solo after 5 or 6 hours with nil experience prior to start....!!!??? Unless your objective is to go solo in the minimum time and your training is intensive and covers many things at the same time, how can you possibly do it?
My thoughts exactly! I mean it even takes at least 15 mins to do the checks and taxi to and from the runway never mind the 10 mins to an from the training area. All that includes exercises 1-13! I don't get it?? Jolly well done all the same.

8.0 hours BTW

Airbedane
5th Apr 2003, 14:59
8 hours 5 minutes in a Cessna 150a on an ATC Flying Scholarship at Carlisle in August 1967. I felt ready to go at 6 hrs 30 mins, but my instructor for the next hour or so wasn't qualified to send me solo. By the time it arived I was fed up waiting and hed gone off peak somewhat.

Anybody else with that problem??

Looking at my logbook, we spent very little time on the early exercises, I suspect we must have logged take off to landing rather than chock to chock.

High Wing Drifter
5th Apr 2003, 18:55
I suspect we must have logged take off to landing rather than chock to chock.
Your logbook must be chock to chock. The techlog will log chock to chock, takeoff and landing times.

maflsc
6th Apr 2003, 20:20
In private flying, students get to caught up on going solo. If you listen to newly licenced pilots the first thing they ask is how many hours before you soloed, followed by how many hours do you have. Not everyone can solo in min hours.

gliderman69
20th May 2003, 02:43
8.10 but the 250 gliding hours and 7 years in the airforce as an engineer probably helped.

Time to go solo means very little I think more consistancy on having lessons.

Good luck to all those waiting to kick out the instructor!

Pink_aviator
2nd Jun 2003, 14:13
Ooopps

Looks like i've gone and written solo saga in the wrong bit.
I've just done it in 24 ,which i was pretty pleased with until i read all the other much shorter times. I feel my self esteme lowering again.

Phnuff
You asked for any interesting stories about solo attemps, if you are interested in mine i'ts on
MAD JOCKS PINK HEADET bit.

I am the pink head set queen.

I's to long to repeat , i found it quite an exsperiance, but others may not be as amused .

I's on page 4 of pink headset.

I hope my instructers do not see this though as i've been told to get off pprune and spend that time reading and start passing some more exams.

He right of course , but this is easier and more fun than hard books.
Ho hum ,back to air law.

PINK-AVIATOR

High Wing Drifter
2nd Jun 2003, 15:18
Pink,

Ignore some of these crazy low times. It is all meaningless really. What matters is that you are a competant pilot when you finish, not when you start :D

Oh yes, and that you think to yourself: "Why didn't I do this sooner?" :ok:

Deano777
9th Jun 2003, 07:14
13.1 hrs for mine, was on holiday for a week beforehand, flew back with JMC from Portugal, got to look in the 320 cockpit and talk to pilots before desc into EGGD, this was the Sunday, on the Tuesday I went solo for the first time, was in a hold at EGGD for 15 minutes, the wife and instructor were getting somewhat concerned because I had not returned LOL, anyway, on finals Alison the ATC at EGGD just came on duty to report a 737 (no details were known at the time about what plane and what airline) had just gone into the WTC, i was so horrified I nearly had to go-around, so yes, I done my first solo at THE time the first plane hit the WTC on Sept 11th 2001, I guess you can say I will never forget it,
that was the last time I will be able to go to the cockpit of an A320 too :( that is of course until I get my CPL and get rated on one ;)

Dean (Bristol)

mjbow2
9th Jun 2003, 14:49
cant beat ya dedsticky ....but 3.8 Hrs..

mjb

SevernTMA
11th Jun 2003, 05:55
6.40 G-BJYD Teesside 1984.

Very lucky with weather. Started training Monday....solo by Saturday.

And the Queen was paying which was even better....:ok:

Sorry to the crew of the training Dan-Air 146 who were sent around after I turned onto finals before they had passed!!!

OOps:uhoh:

Flyinghippo
12th Jun 2003, 19:06
I beat you all
It took me 33 hours in Cessna 150 until solo, because my instructor did not want to send me even though I completed all the training.
Hence, it wasn't sweaty solo for me at all.. I was more relieved at that point when instructor got outta plane.

People say solo is very memorable experience, but not for me :-/

Still working on Rec Permit passing 40 hours, money is not an option..

bcfc
12th Jun 2003, 21:27
Pink Aviator

When I was training, you had to have passed your Air Law before going solo. Just wondering why are you still studying this one?...or was it just a local thing with us?

Pink_aviator
12th Jun 2003, 23:28
HI
bcfc
I'ts true,I did solo before my air law.But since the furore it caused,I have since found out that I was legal and that air law is only recommended,to be done before a solo.

I must have appeared confident or competant as I didn't have a say in the matter.FL just pulls of the main runway and tells you to go fly.
I hope that has stopped you wondering.
Any way did you tell us how many hours you took your first solo in.?

ps
I do not wish to repeat myself (and get into trouble,as it is on the pink head set thread )but I have now passed my air law.
(sorry big red L if your the moderator,but bcfc made me say it)

see ya
PINK-AVIATOR

bcfc
12th Jun 2003, 23:50
Don't think I did. 16ish and my 60th hr was the skills test. Like others, not too concerned about how long it took. I enjoyed every hour of my training. :ok:

Pink_aviator
13th Jun 2003, 00:59
HELLO AGAIN
bcfc
16 hours is great ,and your right it shouldn't matter how long it takes to qualify,as long as you are enjoying the flying.

I how ever have been flying 4 or 5 times a week and feel that I will feel personally let down (by myself if Ido not seem ready for my skills test before long, as what will my excuse be, apart from
"just not good enough,didn't pay enough attention,or just couldn't master the skills required.

CRAZY Attitude perhaps, but I can understand people flying once a week taking longer to assimilate it all.

PINK-AVIATOR

Pigs Might Fly
25th Jun 2003, 04:38
took 9 hrs in a weightshift microlight, then some years later - after a total of 1.5 hrs conversion to 3 axis flight, seriously wondered who was more crazy, me or my instructor, as I was climbing away solo.

Blind lemon
25th Jun 2003, 19:52
After 15:30 hours. Ready at 12, 13 hour marked but snookered by the British weather. Also had 8 instructors to get to this point

Anti Skid On
27th Jun 2003, 18:54
10.2 in C-152 NZ-FPG about a month ago, after four instructors and three months. The CFI came out with the legendary just one circuit and a full stop. Got down wind and was sent around on a orbit of a local spot (which I had never done!) because the TWR wanted to get an Air NZ ATR out (and I held up the sky divers from being dropped . Caused be to be too far out on the downwind, but hung on the float it in. For some reason I falred and flared and flared and eventually got it down. The sweat marks are still evident in that shirt!;)

Wily Coyote
27th Jun 2003, 19:30
I had to do a couple of orbits on my first solo too. Unfortunately, there was a shift-change for the controllers (I never noticed the change in voice) and the new controller wasn't told i was soloing! I thought he was just being a git at first but as I taxied back to the GA apron he apologised and congratulated me :)

Enjoyed telling that story to everyone that night, although not as much as getting drunk and falling over, heheh :p

Wily

WestWind1950
28th Jun 2003, 15:28
solo in about 10 hours, 1983, in a power glider at the time. I didn't know anything about weight limits (flight instructors job at the time, right?). There's a minimum weight requirement of 60 kilos for the pilots in a TMG (Falke SF 25)... I only weighed 47 at the time!! no extra weights added in... I did about 5 solo patterns before the instrutor realised I should have a weight cushion added (borrowed one from the gliders). Noticed the difference and got shaky knees when I learned in ground school the importance of the weight limits!! :eek: guess I did ok or I may not be here today! :ooh:

the following I think are important factors:

1) number of traffic patterns practiced! doing lots of dual x-crountry adds hours but doesn't make time until solo shorter... but so what

2) personal attitude... the younger wannabes seem to be anxious to solo... ego trip? older students aren't often that eager... older = wiser? ;)

3) time invested... if you can fly nearly everyday (job, family, weather) you'll solo sooner then someone who only flies occasionally

4) instrutor... some are really out for hour building.. I know of one new instructor who had his students still flying dual with over 50 hours! when they changed instructors, they nearly soloed immediately! and of course, the instructor has the responsible and HE/SHE decides if the conditions and/or students abilities all fit

5) air field/air field traffic... as has been said before by others, flying at a busy commercial air field might delay a solo while at a small, sleepy air field it might happen sooner

so, don't push it... just let it happen when it's time!! :ok:

WestWind1950

Lance Murdoch
29th Jun 2003, 03:36
19.4 hours at age 25. Thought I was capable at about 16hrs but I suppose the instructor has to be sure before letting you go.
Strangely I wasnt nervous at all. I was much more nervous about my first solo cross country flight.
I learned how to fly at a small airfield which does the occasional Medevac flight.
When I landed an ambulance was sitting waiting on the apron:E

raejones
30th Jun 2003, 16:55
Did my first solo on Saturday after 13 hours !!

Marvellous feeling - still havn't got over it....reckon I'll be smiling for at least a week. :D

Spent most of the weekend celebrating.

Guess I've still got a long way to go though before I get that license....

jonnoboy
30th Jun 2003, 20:50
I went solo at just over 21 hours if i remember without looking at my logbook.

I was 21 when i was learning and was flying almost everyday until i took my test 4 weeks after starting (in the UK!!)

I thought being young, learning intensively and having a fair few hours all over the place before hand would put me in good stead for a minimum time to solo.

I was wrong and it was hearing about all these very low 'typical' times that made me feel behind and probably got to my subconscience and consequently take longer. Of course at the time i didnt take into account that i was completing GH exercises that could have been done after the solo.

So despite all this waffling, my point is although it bugged me at the time, i passed after 18 days in just over 50 hours. Now it means nothing, so for those that are/were concerned, it really does have no affect on your overall flying ability. That aside it is an amazing feeling and will never forget the day (5 or 50 hours regardless)

hugh flung_dung
1st Jul 2003, 00:21
Gliding:
initially about 20 launches in T21/T31s (RAF Hemswell, 1970).
14 years later about the same in K13s (Lasham)

F/W:
Shortly after the second gliding "first" solo, about 6:30 in an AA5A (Eastleigh)

R/W:
A couple of years ago, 5.7 hours (surprised everyone, including me) in an R22 (it was a personal challenge to reach solo but the cost is too high to justify going any further). Thruxton.

Everyone is different, it varies with frequency, aptitude, relationship with instructor. application, age.....

Earlier this year I sent my son solo (in a Bulldog) after about 10 hours but we'd had to fill time until his 16th Birthday so had been spinning, aeros, steep turns, etc for a couple of hours. Plus I found that he had to be a lot better than most students before I would send him off - one of the hardest things I've done!

turnoffthepapis
7th Jul 2003, 00:53
17hrs lots of bad wx

rupetime
8th Jul 2003, 22:59
ok im booked to fly with the school cfi this weekend - if im ok and the weather is ok etc etc etc he will let me go solo - any tips apart from the obvious one's !!!!!

rt

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 00:51
Rather a silly question, insofar as it provokes unnecessary feelings of inadequacy and macho competitiveness. Also it leads to endless justifications / rationalizations ("but I could have done it in much less time except for the bad weather / poor instruction / scheduling problems / work or family commitments / etc."). Let's focus on things that are more fun and interesting.

MLS-12D

P.S. Anyone who feels that it is taking them too long should take heart, as time to solo is of no real importance. Reading David Garnett's classic A Rabbit in the Air: notes from a diary kept while learning to handle an aeroplane may provide a helpful sense of perspective.

Lucifer
14th Aug 2003, 19:05
7:05 despite terrible wx, but done all in one go on a course.

Floppy Link
15th Aug 2003, 23:27
10h55 fixedwing
12h00 rotary

both full time, courstey of HM the Queen,
thanks Ma'am!

SGAS
16th Aug 2003, 23:52
I soloed at 11h 41min

C150 Aerobat ZP-EPF at Asuncion Intl. airport (SGAS;) )

Would have soloed earlyer but I run out of money at 7h, I had to get a job first, so I spend 3 months without flying until I could resume the training:{

It was a memorable day. After doing some touch&goes my instructor said: "I'm wasting my time here, let me off at charlie intersection and make your solo patern!"

It was very special to see the airport from above with an empty seat beside you, knowing that all depends on you now!

The landing wasn't that great but I was very happy!

Following the paraguayan tradition, after returning to the hangar, I was poured over with a few liters engine oil........

fonawah
28th Aug 2003, 17:59
Finally it also happened for me.
Went solo yesterday :O :O :O :O
It was the greatest feeling ever. Also quite scary being on your own in the cockpit.
Got down safe and well and couldn't stop smiling all night!

DOK001
29th Aug 2003, 10:09
7.1 in a Citabria.

Many congratulations fonowah. It's an achievement that few people realise.

Did you look over/ behind at the empty seat on upwind?

It's a great feeling as you say! Glad you kept smiling for so long!

Cheers,

DOK001

fonawah
29th Aug 2003, 15:47
DOKOO1
thanks for your kind words. Yes the scariest moment was when I made my downwind call and there was no one on my right!

RodgerF
4th Sep 2003, 19:57
98h 15min for those who worry about these things.

NinjaBill
4th Sep 2003, 20:17
6hrs 50, in a c150 at sherburn last tuesday

joeboez
4th Sep 2003, 22:38
Yes, you’re correct pilot16 the amount of hours it takes to solo doesn’t determine what type of pilot you are.
I’m assuming you’re a US student pilot and if not this is probably true with most other countries that the minimum to solo is 10 hours. 61.87 established by the FAA was meant for the 60’s and 70’s. This was a time when most airports were slow, airspace wasn’t complex, and pilots weren’t restricted nearly as much as today. It took me 23 hours to solo because of the high density traffic in the Bay Area and the time it takes to get to our practice area. . You’ll solo when your CFI feels you’re safe and confident because it’s his ticket too. Don’t think of it as time, a solo is an indication of proficiency. Good luck and I’m sure it will happen soon.

Bevan666
5th Sep 2003, 13:09
7.1 hours back in '89...

Bevan..

Fergal20
7th Sep 2003, 19:18
I wouldn't like to be sharing airspace with someone who had less than 10 hours flying!:mad:

Another St Ivian
8th Sep 2003, 21:55
My first solo in a SLMG - 5.5 Hrs
My first SEP solo - 2.5 hrs

Chris

High Wing Drifter
21st Sep 2003, 16:29
Yes, you’re correct pilot16 the amount of hours it takes to solo doesn’t determine what type of pilot you are.
Especially when you take into account how long it takes to taxi to and from the runway and how long it takes to transit to the training area. An hours training flight can take 10-15mins checks and taxing and 15-20 mins transiting (to and from). So that is possibly as little as 0.5hrs actual training. Not fogetting that you need to log chock-to-chock not just the time actually training. I imagine those training from busy airports are most susceptible to delays.

Human Factor
24th Sep 2003, 07:56
First solo 8 ish in '91. Last solo Jul '01. Must get round to it again ... can't afford Hunter time though!:sad:

Marco_71
3rd Oct 2003, 02:24
I am studying in the New Jersey, US (which is where I live) and the school I am going with won't allow students to just "solo" even if their instructor says they are ready ...

They have a rule that you have to pass a checkride (stage check ... whatever).

The bottom line is that I have to pass a written (school issued), an oral with a senior instructor (other than my own) and pass the practical test with that same senior instructor (practical test that consists in every flight manouver except for short and soft field landings and takeoffs).

To make a long story short ... I have been taking lessons for about 2 1/2 months and i have about 23 hours ... and I have yet to solo. If everything goes well I should be able to do it in a couple of weeks ... if everything goes well... :ooh:

andyb79
14th Oct 2003, 03:30
22.4 hours till i got my first solo my instructer had been wanting to send me up at around 16 but due to the complete incompetence on the part of the C.A.A it took 3 months for me to get my medical issued:{ which also means i lost 3 months off the period that is valid for:mad:

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
31st Oct 2003, 04:20
I went solo ofter 18 hours.

This was basically due to cr:mad: p instruction. I was being fed instructions that made no sense. I was also sitting too low within the aircraft and this had never been picked up on! Thanks guys that cost me nearly a grand:*

I changed schools and within 2 circuits had sloved the problem. I now grease the aircraft on every time no problems!

The moral of the story and I have confirmed this by talking to some well seasoned ATPLs si that if you are flying around making no progress then it is probably that your instructor can't instruct. Beleive it!

MrMagoo
31st Oct 2003, 04:36
My first solo came after 9 hours 5 mins.

First 3 hours 20 mins in a PA38 (Tomahawk) - the rest in a C-150.

S-Works
31st Oct 2003, 19:22
3hrs 5mins in a Robin HR200

delta96
5th Nov 2003, 16:56
7:05

Biggin Hill Jul '69, Alon Aircoupe.

easyflyer
6th Nov 2003, 17:52
35 hrs at age 17.

Difficulty was - started training at 13, 1 lesson every 8 weeks (I was a paper boy!), got circuits out of the way but was WAY too young to solo, so had to move on to everything else dual , then at 16 and 10 months back to circuit practice in order to solo on my 17th bd then solo XC. Ended up with PPL at 47 hrs....phew!

What an epic paper delivery schedule it was!

BigEndBob
24th Dec 2003, 04:18
Having instructed for the last 15 years i would say the average first solo is close to 15 hours.
I would often tell students to halve their age and that would be a good guess to first solo with +/- 2 tolerance.
Time,continuity, money, competition (air cadets) and wx all make a difference.

I cannot believe or approve of anybody going solo in 5hrs without some previous experience, ie flying with dad (or mom) as pax.
I wonder what an insurer would say if an accident occured.
Time to first solo means nothing, its the attitude the student has to flying that matters.

Sir Richard
27th Dec 2003, 01:20
6:50 in a C150 April 1965

20,800+ hours later and flying is still fun!:} :8

S-Works
29th Dec 2003, 00:10
BigendBob,

Sorry I totally disagree with your comments about the time to solo. I went solo very quickly without problems and have flown more than 500 hours since in GA aircraft without a problem.

I think it comes down to attitude followed by apptitude. I was sent solo by a 10,000hr career Instructor and the CFI of my club who deemed I was ready.

I bet if you ask any of the others here who are less than your jusged minimums that that are all competant accident free pilots?

My grandfather went solo on a Tiger Moth in less than 2 hours in 1940 and went on to win the DFC and command 28 Lancaster operations followed by 25 years post war service.

godsavethequeen
9th Jan 2004, 05:12
3:45HRS still have my log book to prove it!!!
It was during a flying scholarship at carlise in 1999 on a C152

Now employed by the RAF flying alot faster than i was in 1999!!!

High Wing Drifter
14th Jan 2004, 15:36
Before you ask, yes I am jelous :O (yes I know solo is meaningless, but regardless what people say it always creates a positive initial reaction if you solo <10 hours).

But how did you fit lessons 5-13 in 3.75hrs? Did you have any prior experience or did your instructor just concentrate on getting you solo and leaving the other airwork till later?

avro_shack
14th Jan 2004, 22:13
I snapped the surly bonds on my lonesome on Friday the 9th after 21 hours - gained sporadically over a period of 3 years. Bear in mind that I moved interstate during this time with the resultant change in flying schools, instructors, landing techniques and aircraft type etc.

The C150 aerobat climbed like a homesick angel sans instructor.

Probably one of the most exciting thing I have ever done. Couldn't stop smiling for hours afterwards.

MichaelJP59
15th Jan 2004, 22:52
I have to add myself to the list having just gone solo this afternoon. 9 hrs 55 of lessons, roughly at the rate of an hour a week.

It took me by surprise as we'd just done 5 circuits and I thought we would be heading home. Instructor asked if I "fancied trying one on my own" - does anyone ever turn the chance down?

I must admit everything everyone says is right, it felt great to be out there, my only worry was that the controller didn't reply to my "ready for departure" call for a minute or two and I was wondering if I ought to go anyway! (A/G radio)

Dissatisfied with the landing, which was a bit hard and the worst I'd done that day, but very happy to have got it done given the potential weather delays this time of year.

- Michael

Constable Clipcock
16th Jan 2004, 08:03
10,7 hours. Aircraft was a 1947-vintage Cessna 140A. Field was an uncontrolled grass strip in South Texas. Year was 1984. Day was absolutely perfect.

Had just gotten back from doing more spins and practice forced landings, greased the machine onto the turf, and as I was rolling to a stop (alongside a row of slightly modified Confederate Air Force BT-13's with lovely Imperial Japanese Navy markings!), my instructor demanded my paperwork....

*scribble-scribble-scribble*

"Lemme out here and do another one just like that."

So I did. :D

High Wing Drifter
18th Jan 2004, 01:38
does anyone ever turn the chance down
Believe it or not...I did!! At around 8 hrs. Simply because I really did not feel confident I could handle an EFATO adequately :O

Classic
25th Jan 2004, 04:24
8 hours 30, but I was lucky with the weather....oh, and the talent!
:ok:

cessna l plate
27th Jan 2004, 00:47
Yesterday, at Liverpool. WHAT A FEELING. I haven't stopped smilling yet!!!!!!!
I took about 21 hours ( I've not added it up yet), over about 12 months as Liverpool does like its fog!

All that took the shine off it a little was the sarcy comments on return to the club house about the 2 landings it took to get it down ( I added a little too much power to arrest ROD and started climbing again, as the wheels touched.) but all in all a great experience, even better that my first :mad:

Aileron Roll
20th Feb 2004, 18:11
14 hours

.......... without a doubt everyone has a story about why it took more or less than someone else............ As we all become well aware time to 1st solo really counts for nothing.......

Flying is simply the worlds best hobby !

HomerJay
20th Feb 2004, 23:43
7 1/2, in sunny florida though, would still be siting next to my fat ass instructor if i flew at home

Aileron Roll
24th Feb 2004, 13:36
GREAT TOPIC !

Anyone have anything extra special happen to them on their first solo ? On mine I saw a Sea Fury, it was parked on the apron, but I guess it makes a good story anyway !

Wing_Bound_Vortex
27th Feb 2004, 09:57
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, i know plenty of pilots with similar hours to mine that took longer to solo but that i would consider better pilots than i am.

Took me 1.2 hours in 2 days gliding with the RAF as an air cadet. Was another 6 after that before i soloed on light ac.

It's just a stepping stone to experience, how long it takes to get there is pretty irrelevant. :ok:

WBV

CISTRS
12th Mar 2004, 16:12
9.5 hours in a Fournier RF-5 at Biggin Hill.
Average one hour per week.
Previous gliding experience, but slightly fazed by the busy Biggin Hill circuit.
About 1975.

Barnaby the Bear
13th Mar 2004, 21:08
13 hours I think it was at Cardiff during ATCO training. Just wish I had the funds to carry on.

FliegerTiger
2nd Apr 2004, 15:38
Finally today at Cranfield (Bonus Aviation), after 14 hours 5 mins!

What a rush!

RichyRich
8th Apr 2004, 09:59
Anyone have anything extra special happen to them on their first solo ?

One of the other 'company' aircraft landed with a brake locked while we, the CFI who happens to be owner too, and I where orbiting on downwind. They managed to get off the runway, we landed and still went off solo.

RR

God, I wish I could type what I think... I bet the rest of you are glad I can't though.

Marigold
20th Apr 2004, 10:18
10 Hours abintio to solo

LeFreak
20th May 2004, 15:46
soloed on april 23rd 2004 in a cessna 150 (OO-MLB) at 5 h 58 minutes .. no previous flying experience .. flying solo sure was fun but i'm really looking forward to first solo navigation flight ..

the_flying_cop
25th May 2004, 22:05
i did my first my first solo after 5 hours 35 minutes.

this was done during my RAF Flying Scholarship, and guess what. im not even a pilot now!

it was in a pa28 g-bbef, blackpool airport, ANC and my instructor was a guy called Chris (cant remember his last name but he liked Theakstons Old Peculiar!)

i spend my days circling the skies looking for villains instead and barking my orders to my civvie driver.

oh i remember the good old days.

nosefirsteverytime
8th Nov 2004, 18:15
Mods, with your permission, I'd like to use this data for my statistics project. One I was supposed to hand in last Wednesday (hence the desperacy). I've taken the data and I'm working on it, but I won't hand it in until I get the go-ahead from ye. And don't worry, the info source will be quoted.