PDA

View Full Version : Touring Ireland VFR

CRX
24th Sep 2002, 13:11
Hello All,
I am hoping to tour Ireland at the beginning of November for a week in a Jodel. I would very much appreciate advice of appropriate airfields to visit ideally with overnight hangarage at reasonable rates, things of interest to see and any other pertinant info. Provisional plans are to stop the night at Islay then cross over towards Donegal before continuing anti clockwise round the island. Also what do I need to do with regard to special branch clearances?
Thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies and pray for good wx!

CRX

BRL
24th Sep 2002, 15:17
Pray for good weather indeed..!!!! I love Ireland and spend a lot of time over there esecially on the east coast, Countly Clare being my most favourite place on earth. Spanish point, on the coast to the west of Ennis, has a small grass runway with a hanger, don't know how much they charge though but i would give them a ring first. Loads of nice b&bs and a handful of hotels about that way too. Some great pubs in Miltown Malbay and Quilty nearby. From Spanish point you can go up to the Isles of Arran flying over the Cliffs of Moah(moar?) on the way. Such a great place. Go easy on the black stuff though..... ;)

david viewing
25th Sep 2002, 14:23
VFR touring in Ireland is a good plan at any time of the year but in November you can be sure to have adverse weather so have plenty of spare days! On the west coast the weather changes almost hourly!

There are numerous airfields and strips. The best reference is "Fly in Ireland", a Pooley style booklet that you can get from Transair etc. There is also an Irish Aviation web site at http://www.irishaviation.net/contents.htm
with a useful map and much else. But take care - it still lists Castlebar, which closed at least a year ago.

BTW, most Irish airfields are PPR. All except EIDW are friendly and welcoming, and if going to Dublin go to Weston instead. There's an excellent AIC 10/02 on Weston at http://www.iaa.ie (you will need to register).

On the West coast, Sligo, Galway and Kerry are commercial but welcoming airports, and there are many strips as well. Strip owners are (In my experience) always friendly and accomodating. Best quality of service overall is perhaps Waterford, but I've never had UK style hassle at any Irish airport.

Suggest you look at Achill Island (highest sea cliffs in Europe), the cliffs of Moher, the Aran Islands (which have runways), Clifden (Where Alcock & Brown landed) Dingle Bay (Where Lindburgh made land) and the ring of Kerry round to Cork, but only on a good day!

I've never used hangarage and don't know.

You need Special Branch 24Hrs (actually I think 12Hrs) prior permission for any trip to Ireland N or S and Isle of Man for that matter if you are departing a non special branch airfield. I don't know if Islay can provide this outbound so do ask them. You could route Eglinton (very friendly with special branch on site, but do check in advance) then donegal. (You need special branch for trips N to S or vice versa in Ireland as well). Also flight plans are required. Flight plans are also required at bigger Irish airports like Shannon but can be filed in the air.

When returning UK, you need special branch and customs (customs only work weekdays) prior notifaction/permission if arriving at non-approved airport.

It's a fabulous place to fly. Hope this helps.

I. M. Esperto
25th Sep 2002, 15:25
Ryan Rent-A-Car is the way to go.

Dakota Queen
27th Sep 2002, 13:37
Hi

Sounds like a good trip, In Dublin try Weston aerodrome on the ouskirst of the City. Kilkenny has a grass strip and its a great city to visit, I'm actually from there. Dont know if they charge a alanding rate but I'd say its pittance. There are airports in Kerry, Cork and Waterford too.

Try iaa.ie the irish aviation authority (like BAA) for more info, you could call them too they are quite helpful.
If you are need contact details for Weston or Kilkenny send me a private message and I'll get them for you.

Indeed if you came to KK we could go for a drink - trade you ten pints for a spin?!:D :D :D

Ciao;)

I. M. Esperto
27th Sep 2002, 13:42
Dakota - I knew Westons when it was Kennedy's sheep pasture in Lucan. Last I checked, old man Kennedy was still around.

david viewing
27th Sep 2002, 13:59
Captain Kennedy has retired to Spain and is apparently in good health.

The airfield is under new management with many improvements occurring.

I. M. Esperto
27th Sep 2002, 14:34
David - Glad to hear that.

I went back 2 years ago and couldn't believe my eyes.

EI_Sparks
27th Sep 2002, 15:48
Not all is well at weston at the moment unfortunately ....
See this IABB thread for details. (http://www.irishaviation.net/forums/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000282.html)

mixturelean
28th Sep 2002, 22:34
CRX,
Connaught International Airport (Knock - eikn) is a good place to call on if you are flying aropund the Achill Island / Westport/ Croagh Patrick area. It is a little bit away from any town, as such, but has a car-hire company on site. Very nice part of the country.
Enjoy your holidays,
Mixturelean.

FlyingV
30th Sep 2002, 12:04
Don't believe anything you read on the IABB.

Although some of the posts may be accurate, it's worse than PPRuNe for groundless rumours, personal attacks, moaning etc. etc. Great fun to read though :D

PA28-161
2nd Oct 2002, 13:05
For NI, FYI Enniskillen (St Angelo) sadly closed now - new r/way too. Understand Letterkenny grass strip is being refurbished, but useable (PPR) - Newtownards is PPR too. Aldergrove worth a look, but £14 landing fee. Eglinton similar fee - posted as £7.50 but add the vat and handling and MOD 'war risk surcharge'.....
Have a good time - plenty to see and do.

david viewing
2nd Oct 2002, 13:46
Thanks for the post on Weston.

Puts a whole new slant on 'unlicensed airfield' doesn't it! (Not suggesting that Weston is unlicensed and good luck to them.) I too have seen Capt. Kennedy looking out of the window.

AerBabe
2nd Oct 2002, 17:47
Whirlybird wrote a lovely article for the BWPA Newsletter about flying round Ireland in a C152. If you PM me an address I'll send you a copy :)

QDMQDMQDM
3rd Oct 2002, 14:14
Today's Pilot, October edition, has an article about touring Ireland.

QDM

Windrusher
4th Oct 2002, 16:51
A slight tangent ... but can anyone tell me about Irish gliding clubs: ie, are there any apart from Dublin (http://www.kildare.ie/dublinglidingclub/) and Kilkenny (http://www.kinair.ie/ http://homepage.tinet.ie/~daverobertson/kfcdr.htm) - particularly towards the south-west?

Windrusher

QDMQDMQDM
4th Oct 2002, 19:14
According to this link, there are only three, of which one is in Derry and the other two are the ones you mention:

http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING/articles/soaring_ireland.html

QDM

VORTIME
4th Oct 2002, 20:24
Ireland is a great place to fly around, we all b*tch about it here but it's no that bad at all.

Few notes:

1) Don't expect EIDW to let you transit their airspace.
2) Weather out west can deteriorate very rapidly.
3) Knock is in the middle of nowhere, high elevation, watch ceilings.
4) Sligo is beutiful
5) Airport food in Shannon is awful, there's a short field (400 and something metres) beside Limerick city - Coonagh.
6) Weston - be very careful of the circuit, can be exceptionally busy with a lot of students. Enclosed in airsplace, study routing to the field very carefully.
7) Recent airpsace changes (May) local to Weston.
8) The Burren is a natural wonderland in Co. Clare, maybe stop in Shannon for a visit.
9) Arrange to park at the club in Galway (save landing fees).
10) Arrange to park at South-Aer in Cork for cheap/no landing fees.
11) Abbeyshrule shouldn't be missed, call the local pub for PPR, nice 10 walk from field to pub for lunch.
12) Bus Service from Weston into City Center and back out. Dublin is rather small, no need for car if visiting for a day.

Have fun

VT

dublinpilot
8th Oct 2002, 15:44
Try this web site http://www.irishaviators.com/irish_airfields.htm

While not an offical source, it can help with useful info on the various airfields to help get you an initial route.