PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Schiphol

Flik
24th Sep 2002, 09:27
I'm thinking of trying a flight to Schiphol this weekend. I've done a search and I've got a few pointers on flying in Holland in general but wondering if people can help me out with a couple of points.

As far as I can see there is nothing stopping a VFR flight direct into Schiphol under the Class A airspace and then in through the VFR sector, so long as you have a flight plan (sorted since coming direct from the UK) and a slot, and the ability to do a short base leg if need be.

Not quite sure how to go about getting a slot, but I'm still digging through Bottlang at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience of flying into AMS? Is it relatively straight-forward, and has anyone been asked to to the short approach circuits? How difficult is it to get a slot?

Any other advise / experience / comments about AMS or flying in Holland in general would be most welcome!

Should be an experience, one way or the other.......

Many thanks!

:cool:

2Donkeys
24th Sep 2002, 11:02
Flying to Schiphol is very straightforward, but more than a little pricey. The VFR arrival is as you describe, although I have never once either required a VFR slot, or even heard of one being needed.

Handling is by KLM General Aviation

http://www.klmga.nl/

and you can make your request for handling (mandatory) online there. You will provide an ETA (and ETD) for them, and they will sort out any logistics with the airport authorities.

VFR departures from Schiphol to the UK tend not to use the VFR sector, instead, you are cleared via the control tower overhead straight towards the coast, and away, usually below 1000 QNH initially.

By way of hints and tips:

1) Make sure that you are very familiar with the VFR approach sector and fly the procedures with great accuracy. You *will* be turned away if you disregard the procedures or fly them badly.

2) Make sure that you call before startup, and expect to receive your departure clearance before you start engines.

3) Make sure that your checks are complete before you line up on the runway. Dutch ATC tend to think of you as being like a turboprop, and will encourage you to line up and depart before you may be ready. You might want to think about doing the checks on the main ramp (which is huge) before requesting taxi, even, if the presence of other aircraft and people don't preclude this.

4) Expect to pay around 150-200 Euros for a day trip in a PA28 or similar.

Drop me a line directly if you need more specific help

A and C
24th Sep 2002, 12:38
All that 2d writes above is true I,v used schipol VFR in the past but now prefer to go to hilversum ,Its only a short cab ride to the railway station and about 15 min on the train into amsterdam.

Dont let me put you off Schiphol if that is what you want to do from a flying point of veiw but I have found Hilversum more practical for visiting Amsterdam city center and a lot cheaper.

eyeinthesky
25th Sep 2002, 10:41
If you want a hard runway, Lelystad (EHLE) is also convenient. Bus/taxi to Lelystad (5 mins) then c.30 mins by train to Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Make sure you comply with their strict VFR joining procedure, however.

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 10:49
After reading the above advice and costs, if you really want to go to Schipol, fly with KLM, they always seem to end up there wherever they start from and it'll probably be cheaper! ;)

Sorrreeee

(editied for aplogies :D)

Flik
25th Sep 2002, 14:47
Thanks everyone for your advice.

General conclusion is that it is indeed cheaper to fly all the way from the UK to AMS with KLM than it costs to get in and out of the VFR sector. So, I think Hilversum or Lelystad is calling.

Thanks again. I shall go back to just dreaming of flying in and out of big international airports in Europe pretending to be an airline captain.... well, for a month or two anyway... ;)

Dude~
1st Jul 2003, 22:09
Flik, did you ever fly to Amsterdam? I am planning a weekend trip there. Does anyone know if Hilversum has customs facilities?

Cheers

D

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Jul 2003, 22:19
Dude~

Customs at most fields in Holland is just PNR.

The entry for Hilversum in the Bottlang states 0800-SS 1 hr PNR required.

Ring the airfield to confirm.

FD

poetpilot
1st Jul 2003, 22:53
A long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... I flew into Schiphol with a Jodel. In those days (1980s) the fee for overnight was less than £30 all in ISTR.

The biggest danger was of getting blown over by the big jets as you taxied across the vast expanse. More than once we had to stop and turn to face the blasts of avtur-scented air in order to keep our little toy wings level and on the ground.

But it was fun to met by an airport bus (yes a great big one just for two of us) & to be treated with all the respect given to a commercial flight.

C172Navigator
5th Jul 2003, 02:29
I was in Lelystad a few weeks back. Nice airport, customs are there full time, I rang before hand but I was told just turn up. I flew in from Luxembourg and they didn't want to see me. Fuel was about £1.20 a litre though.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Jul 2003, 06:25
C172N,

I will tell them to be a bit less laidback next time!

;)

Did you go and eat in the Restaurant?

FD

PS: Found out that if you pay with an AIR BP card you don't have to pay VAT if you are outbound from the Netherlands again.

C172Navigator
5th Jul 2003, 17:38
FD,

We didn't try the restaurant, went straight into the town, then got the train to Amsterdam. It's a good airport - lots of intersting aircraft around and excellent weather / pre-flight information available. Shame all airports aren't same!