PDA

View Full Version : Pitts Flying with stiknruda

TheKentishFledgling
23rd Sep 2002, 20:23
Last Sunday, after many planned, aborted, cancelled etc trips, I finally managed to fly in a Pitts S2A with stiknruda :)

I met up with stik, and we briefed thoroughly on the flight ahead. After leaving the ground we would leave the circuit to the north where I could get a feel for the responsiveness of a Pitts, and then we'd try some gentle aerobatics.

I've already flown some aerobatics with FNG in his Cap 10, so this was going to be "an extended into to aerobatics"!

Next I had to strap in!
Strapping in describes it badly IMHO. It should maybe be called
"attaching yourself to the aeroplane". It has a five point harness attached to the seat, and
then a two point harness which is fixed to the actual airframe. Stik made
sure I had the straps done up _tightly_ before we started up, before we
took off, and before we started any aeros. The longer you're in the
seat, the hotter your rear gets, and so the foam in the cushions will
soften, and you'll "sit lower" in the seat, and consequently, the straps
will need tightening!

I'd been shown where the barf bag was, and told not to be afraid to use
it.

As the intercom in the Pitts wasn't working, we'd agreed a set of hand
signals that were going to be used on the flight - thumbs up, thumbs
down, and "stick shaking" for handing over control.

I had a few minutes to have a good look around the cockpit I was in - which was certainly cozy! Over the nose I
could see __NOTHING__ and couldn't really lean my head over enough to
see anything, thanks to the SEVEN AND A HALF GRAND canopy (!!!!!!). This was mentioned in the briefing, when I was shown how to jettison the
canopy - but I think that at that price you'd be reluctant to do that
;-)))
The S2A has full dual controls (including toe brakes!) but the
instrumentation in the front cockpit is very sparse: compass, altimeter
and ASI.

The take off was awesome - the acceleration throws your head back into
the headrest and within seconds the tail is up, then you're off the
ground and holding her level at a-few-feet AGL and building speed...then
UP! As I said, awesome!

Within a minute or so, the stick was shaking violently - the signal for
me to take control. The Pitts really was like nothing I've flown before when turned. I guess I'd
describe the ailerons as "crisp": the start a turn when you want to, and
stop when you want to....if that makes any sense? :) Climbing was also, errr different to other aeroplanes I've flown before! It don't 'alf climb quickly :D

But soon the stick was shaking again ("check harnesses plz"!), and a few
seconds later we were flying along inverted - nice!

I've no idea in what order or anything. I think we: looped, aileron
rolled, slow rolled, barrel rolled, rolled off the top and also flew a
cuban eight. Also a four point hesitation roll, and a vertical down
line with a hesitation roll - amazing fun ;-)
The first roll we did we entered at about 100, and the next 120 - that
gave much "cripser" performance.

The stick started shaking again, and we then flew an aileron roll. It
took me a couple of "following through" rolls to realise Stik wanted me to
try and fly one! The first I tried was a bit crappy and required a bit
of fwd stick while inverted, but I think the second was a bit better!

Then came the signal that meant we were re-joining and landing, and a few minutes later we were overhead the airfield.

The turn from downwind to final one long turn, with a check on the
outside of the turn for traffic. Then starts the major sideslip until
the wheels are about 18" AGL, when the stick comes smartly back and you
touch smoothly down (or at least we did!).

Overall it was a super flight, and imho, aerobatics are some of the best fun you can have in the air - roll on next time (no pun intended!) :D

Thanks a lot Stik!!

theKentishFledgling

BRL
23rd Sep 2002, 22:10
You lucky old devil you.!!!!!! After watching the Rothmans Pitts years ago, thats something i have wanted to do since i was a kid..... :)

formationfoto
24th Sep 2002, 06:08
TKF
Good choice - both the Pitts and Stik. Although I haven;t flown with him in the Pitts (only in Tiger Moth and Cessna 310) from what I have seen of his flying he would provide a good introduction to both the aircraft and the manouvres. Many of my early aeros experiences were with people who felt they hadn't done it properly unless the 'barf bag' was full and for five hours after the flight I had lost all capacity to remain upright.

I would hate to be picking up his email now though - begging mails by the score I would guess.

stiknruda
30th Sep 2002, 21:50
tKf

knew you enjoyed it by the "constipated dog" grin that you had for the following few hours!

FF - we can go play but am currently unsure of exactly where the aeroplane NOW stands re prop inspection and insurance coverage and want to ascertain those are sorted before I push her out next.

Only heard of this post because Aerbabe told me today whilst WE WERE flying. Aerbabe flies very nicely and once she has sorted out a tailwheel endorsement can borrow my yellow aeroplane any time she wants.

Stik

AerBabe
30th Sep 2002, 22:04
Told you the post would be easy to find! ;)
Thanks again for a great afternoon's flying. A most eye-opening experience, and a wonderful introduction to 'proper' flying ie. low level, no radio, no flaps, no instruments, no idea where I was most of the time :)
BTW... my right leg is really tired! :D

paulo
30th Sep 2002, 22:14
Pitts are pure grin machines. I've only sampled a small number of the daft things you can do with them,where it all happens text book. In anything less, you'll need a whole bunch of experience to guide you as to what is and isn't possible. Step in the Pitts beast however, and it seems to do almost anything you ask.

Until you meet the ground.

And it's there my aspirations stumble.

One day I'll have mine, or a share in one at least, but until then I will try and remember (lest I get too ambitious), that I've seen more than one owner get out a little white faced after one of those tricky landings that seem to come with the Pitts territory. Ho hum.

The text of the Pitts ad of a few years ago, spaced as below, sums it up brilliantly:

PSCHO
THERAPY

(In case of lottery win, all the above gets binned in favour of an Extra 300)

RotorHorn
1st Oct 2002, 07:37
to 'proper' flying ie. low level, ..., no flaps, no instruments, no idea where I was most of the time

'Babe - welcome to my life..... (although to be perfectly accurate you meed to replace the word 'most' with the word 'all' in the last sentence....).

Thats why I learned to fly R22's - just in case I need to hover near a motorway sign to figure out where the hell I am... :D

formationfoto
1st Oct 2002, 07:47
AerBabe / Stik
Sorry couldn't get out to play and wheel out the Tiger / Chipmunk but that tedious work stuff prevented me getting to the airfield and over to Stikland.

AerBabe, given the glowing report on your ability from Stik when you next feel like a Norfolk visit let me know and with some advance planning I should be able to dedicate some time to play.

TheKentishFledgling
1st Oct 2002, 11:12
Nice one AerBabe and stik!

Glad you liked the Pushpak AB - looking forward to trying it!

Remember Stik - whenever you fancy a nice long nav trip in the Pushpak, you know where we are.

Ciao for now,
tKF

stiknruda
1st Oct 2002, 22:40
stik will be missing for the next 12 days - aeroplanes and tennis to play with/at in a Lusophonic land!

ciao

Stik

MikeSamuel
2nd Oct 2002, 19:09
Grrrrrr I stop reading PPRuNe for a few days and everyone's off having jollies in a Pitts :D
Where do I sign? ;)
An excellent post tKF, I'm sure we'll be reading you in "Pilot" or "Flyer" soon enough!