PDA

View Full Version : flashing landing lights

gurnzee
23rd Sep 2002, 16:06
:confused:
I have noticed on some a/c, mostly bizjets, that the landing lights appear to flash alternatively left-right-left etc.
Why do they do this and how is it done?

redsnail
23rd Sep 2002, 21:56
Just a guess,
Possibly to aid in scaring birds.

No idea how the engineers have wired it up.

m&v
24th Sep 2002, 03:19
Used on biz jets,and b737-another black box in the circuit($300)interupes the circuit...Inceases Conspicuity:rolleyes:

Cyclic Hotline
24th Sep 2002, 03:58
These systems are installed to increase visibility - they work without compare in busy and congested airspace. The alternating light will catch your eye better than any other visual cue available.

They are standard equipment for most helicopter and corporate flight departments in North America. We have them installed in every aircraft we operate.

The system simply uses a controller, to alternate or cycle the lamps. Pretty simple, very effective.

Precise Flight (http://www.preciseflight.com/business.html)

MorningGlory
24th Sep 2002, 12:34
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I seem to remember from my air law ATPL theory that an a/c's white flashing landing lights to a station on the ground meant that it was in a possibly hazardous situation and was committed to land.

Captain Stable
24th Sep 2002, 15:37
Close, MG - the distress signal is to flash the landing lights irregularly.

eyeinthesky
25th Sep 2002, 10:05
So if I've got this right, you not only have radio failure and you have a problem which means you have to land, but also you have to remember to flash the lights irregularly or they will be mistaken for an aid to conspicuity!!?:rolleyes: :eek:

Golden Rivet
25th Sep 2002, 10:36
Cyclic Hotline

Do you get through more landing lights ? - Does'nt cycling the lamps seriously reduce their life-span ?

TR4A
26th Sep 2002, 02:43
We use them on our B737's. Increased visibility and longer bulb life.

PulseliteŽ also extends lamp life up to 20 times by allowing the filament to run at a lower temperature than normal while maintaining full rated candle power. That's a big savings on maintenance costs.