PDA

View Full Version : DV40 Diamond Star Katana

Deeko01
23rd Sep 2002, 13:04
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had a shot of this particular aeroplane? If so how did you find it handling wise and passenger comfort wise? I saw one last night that came into work from Sleap and have to say it looks very nice and I want a go in one!

I got my license on the DV20 and see it as a natural upgrade to a 4 seat aircraft but trouble is I dont see many operators north of the border likely to acquire this aeroplane, maybe I am wrong anyone any thoughts on this?

Look forward to hearing your replies folks!

EI_Sparks
23rd Sep 2002, 13:19
Try Philip Greenspun's page here (http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/diamond-da40)

sennadog
23rd Sep 2002, 15:23
There's one down at Cubair at Redhill and I haven't flown it yet due to the minimum hours being 100 TT but I can pass on what I have been told.

Apparently, it's like a bigger version of the Katana and if anything is easier to fly, being very comfortable and pretty quick with the only drawback being it's susceptibility to turbulence, just like the Katana but then it is very light and extremely efficient.

BayAreaLondoner
23rd Sep 2002, 20:07
Agree with Sennadog.
The other thing is that the view from the front is supposed to be quite something in that you can see straight down since you're almost sitting on the leading edge of the wing.
Front and back seats are supposed to be comfortable. Not sure about baggage capacity.
Where I fly from, it costs basically the same to rent this vs a new 182 so I don't see the point.

Flik
25th Sep 2002, 15:03
I've done quite a few hours in the Diamond Star at Cubair in Redhill, and I can't get enough of flying it!

(OK, I trained on their Katana's, so I guess I'm a tiny bit biased!)

Seriously, it is a beautiful plane to fly that has all the kit and gizmos you could ask for. Brilliant visibilty and it can take full fuel with four pax. The baggage space isn't brilliant, but as long as you don't bring along brick-like suitcases, you should be fine.

The only thing it really needs is an auto-throttle, and an extra engine would be perfect ;)

The best thing about it is that it does 130kt @ 65% power if you tweak it in the right places...

:cool:

BayAreaLondoner
25th Sep 2002, 17:18
Flik - don't think it has an auto-throttle :) but have you seen this?
http://www.diamondair.de/images/da42/ila-pics/da42-web/index2.htm
:D

Deeko01
25th Sep 2002, 17:46
Thanks for the reply folks really appreciate it, I really want to have a go at this aeroplane an after having a chat with a couple of flying clubs up here it seems they are both evaluating it at them moment and will make a decision early next year, one of them is looking at the diesel version.

Anymore replies??? Keep em coming!!

BayAreaLondoner
25th Sep 2002, 18:32
Hmmm... diesel versions... Has anyone flown a diesel in any aircraft?
I'm interested in knowing how they handle compared to "normal" versions.
Can you stick automotive diesel or Jet A in the same engine?