PDA

View Full Version : Radio nerves

cogy
22nd Sep 2002, 12:37
Hi,

I started my PPL in June and have completed about 20 hours so far, including my first solo last week.

At first I really looked forward to my lessons, but for the last 5 or 6 lessons I've come to the point where I'm becomming disheartened and aprehensive about continuing with my training.
The reason is is my lack of confidence with regards to using the radio. I hoped with more and more hours under my belt my confidence would grow, but the complete opposite seems to be taking place, and I feel as though I've hit a brick wall.

Even on the day of my first solo, I was more afraid of using the bloody radio than actually flying the aircraft alone for the first time!
Thankfully, everything went ok and I completed probably my best circuit and landing so far during the solo. But its the mental 'brick wall' I mentioned thats really got me disheartend at the moment.

After speaking to my instructor about this, he's been more understanding towards me and has shown more patience with me over the last few lessons. But I'm afraid I'll never be able to overcome the problem I'm currently having and therefore not going to progress any further with my training until I do.

The main problem I have is recognising my call-sign, understanding whats being said to me, and repeating back to ATC what I need to. I just get a mental block and end up saying things completely wrong or freezing completely - relying on my instructor to 'bail me out'.

Can anyone offer any help or guidance with this? Is this normal for some students to be apprehensive of radio work after 20 odd hours training?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

eyeinthesky
22nd Sep 2002, 15:59
A common problem, it seems.

My advice would be to try and relax. I'm sure you don't have problems talking on the phone, and if you can learn to treat the radio like that you will soon get the hang of it. Most people get stuck because they are trying to get the phraseology EXACTLY right. This should be the end aim, but I should just try saying what you want in relatively plain language to start with. After all, (most) controllers are human and can recognise plain speech and do not rely upon exact voice recognition like a computer to take action. Once you have got the hang of that you can perfect the standard phraseology.

Probably the best place to start is in the circuit, where the variety of possible calls is more limited and you get to say the same thing at the same place with a similar reply each circuit. This will build your confidence and you can move on to radio calls to other units.

The various mnemonics such as TRPACER which most students struggle through with many 'errs' and 'ums' as they weld their finger to the transmit button actually boil down to a very simple three issues:

WHO you are
WHERE you are
WHAT you want.

That's all you need to convey, and it is perfectly acceptable for it to be elicited in more than one transmission. Of course later you will be able to reel off:

"Anywhere Tower, this is GABCD, a C172 from Here to There,, routing via Bravo and Charlie, Presently overhead Alpha at 2500 ft QNH 1020 VMC estimating Bravo at time 45, requesting Zone transit"

but don't expect to get that all out at this stage in your training.

RELAX!!

The golden rule, however, is if you are not sure what to say next, say 'Standby' and TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF THE SWITCH while you seek help from your instructor. Or if you don't know what the other unit said, say 'Say Again'. DON'T just freeze with your finger on the switch because then no-one can do anything to help you!

It will come, honest!:) :D

martinidoc
23rd Sep 2002, 14:09
I agree, RELAX and if in doubt speak plain English.

Too many ATCs pass too many pieces of info for repeating in one transmission in any case. Three is supposed to be the maximum, but it is frequently nearer ten, and frankly you can only remember all that if you have a pretty good idea what they were going to say in the first place.

With practice it will become much easier.

My wife recently did her PPL and had the same sort of problem, but managed to get quite a few laughs out of the ATC when she asked for re-entry rather than re-join.

Listen to some of the "commercial" transmissions and you will find even they can get it wrong "er Er Speedbird 13 Quebec, oh no sorry I,m a Shuttle today" etc etc.

Good Luck

G-SPOTs Lost
23rd Sep 2002, 18:36
Without wanting to put any more pressure upon you - you will at some stage need to do an RT practical exam.

So heres how we help you:

Find out where your school does its RT practicals and borrow the kit to practise with. I arrange to borrow the kit and do a practise flight with you from start to finish. This starts with me in as monotone voice as possible doing the ATIS :D

Every couple of minutes we remove the headsets and discuss what "Phase" of flight we are going to do next and we both leave 30-60 secs between transmissions so we can write stuff down.

THIS REALLY WORKS......

Again not wanting to apply any more pressure, but you owe this to your instructor to get it sorted out. He must be frustrated because you obviously fly nice (otherwise you wouldnt have gone solo) so get it sorted out and you'll really start to enjot the rest of your PPL.

This is just a glitch - dont get disheartened you'll laugh when you are on Finals to Heathrow in 5 years !!!!:)

Field In Sight
24th Sep 2002, 07:39
I went on a weekend RT course where you spend 2 days with bunch of people who are having exactly the same problems as you not matter what level they are at in the PPL.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and a had a really good laugh. There will always be somebody on the course a lot worse than you (usually :D )

At the end of it I had completed the RT written, oral and more importantly, a lot more confidence on the radio.

Good luck anyway, out

Grummaniser
24th Sep 2002, 13:13
To help with understanding what you hear, you might consider getting an airband receiver and listening as often as possible to ATC at an airfield (preferably your own) which handles light aircraft. (It is not much use listening to Heathrow Approach as they just don't say the same things!)

Don't just put it on in the background but try to copy down the relevant points as if you were going to read it back. If possible connect a headset to it to increase the realism. You will start to become familiar with the standard phrases at that airfield eg. there are only a limited number of ways you can make a circuit join and ATC will usually use almost exactly the same phrases to describe each one.

Before you start speaking on the radio write down either all of what you need to say or at least an aide-memoire (mine was CARPAR but your instructor will have his/her own) and look at it while you are speaking.

Also before you speak, think about what information you are going to get back - is it going to be a takeoff clearance with a turn direction, is it going to be a landing clearance (easy to answer that one) or is it going to be something like 'Next call turning base" and be ready to filter out the actual numbers and instructions.

Definitely don't become disheartened - it WILL get better!

Just another thought - if you can arrange a visit to the tower through your flying school that will help - you get to find out that ATC actually have arms and legs and heads like the rest of us!

Mister Geezer
24th Sep 2002, 13:27
What I am about to suggest might sound a bit 'geeky' but I recommend getting your hands on a scanner. Like many other things, the more R/T you do then the better you become. Borrow one or buy one and listen to it and think of the responses that you would give whenever you hear ATC speaking. Or simply listening to the R/T will make a difference! Initially you might think it is a waste of time but I would be very surprised if you are not more confident on the frequency after listening for a while.

It made my flying so much easier from day one and I never had a problem with my R/T during the whole of my PPL and Commercial training as well.

A visit to your local 'tower' can also be a great help. However this can be often easier said than done. Finally ATC are there to help you. Think of them as your 'servants' and not 'super human gods' which is view that can freak out many people who are getting their PPL. By definition that is what they are.... people who are paid to help you! A simple 'say again' is not the crime of the year.... you will find out that it is safer to know what ATC are wanting you to do from the outset because too many fatal accidents have occurred due to people who assume or convince themselves that they heard what they want to hear on the R/T. We are all human and good ATCers will give solo's a bit of leeway providing they know that it is a solo!

Keep that chin up!

MG

cogy
24th Sep 2002, 16:21
I realise I've got to learn to relax more and try not to put too much pressure on myself.

Thanks for all your advice and support guys :)

hdaae
28th Sep 2002, 18:10
Different things work for different people, but I have been flying with alot of asian students, and they become fairly decent.
What they all do is to backseat eachothers flights.
When they are in the backseat watching they collegue fly and talk, they can, in a relaxed state, hear what is being said in this and that situation.
They also get the practical procedures memorized VERY quickly this way.
Highly recommended

Second thing they actually are REQURIED to do at our school is to TAPE the ATC/Cockpit convos and listen to them after every flight to analyze both communications and the practical procedures (very helpful during instrument training)

Most people have some issues with the radio in the beginning.
I had the same feeling in the beginning, but as mentioned earlier, ATC are NORMAL ppl, and actually there to help you.
Thats what I always tell my students "Dont care if you make slipups, RELAX and remember that ATC are required to help you"
Now radio communitcation is second nature to me..but havent always been.

If they are speaking way too fast...just ask them "Say again, slower"
This MIGHT annoy them a little, but its both YOU and THEIR best intrest that everything is understood.

criticalmass
4th Oct 2002, 09:42
Cogy,

Grummaniser and Mister Geezer give very "sound" advice (excuse the pun!). I was a marine radio officer for 10 years but the radio patter in aviation is totally different...for a start it's spoken, not hammered out on a morse key! I had a lot to learn.

I had several years of airband monitoring with scanners before I took up flying. When it came time for me to go "live on-air" (my first solo, actually) wonder of wonders, all the standard phraseology and delivery was already formed in my mind. Engage brain, open mouth, and it came out just fine.

My instructor told me the only fault he could find with it was I was too quick...a habit formed by years of listening to very proficient heavy-jet pilots.

Good diction, steady speed of delivery and being absolutely sure of what you intend to say will see your radio skills right up there with the best. As suggested, montoring the field you fly at, or your local flying-club field is probably gonna be more help than listening to the heavies. In any event, beg, borrow or otherwise obtain a scanner and the tuition is free! :D

The tower visit is a very good idea. A lot of controllers are keen to meet pilots because it helps bridge the gap and you get to appreciate their perspective on affairs.

expedite_climb
4th Oct 2002, 10:04
Have you tried a trip up your local tower to meet the atc'ers. That usual helps, as you realise that they are human....

Who has control?
4th Oct 2002, 13:56
A readback is exactly that - you are reading back what you have written on your kneeboard.

But you aren't trying to write as the controller is saying it, because he has been saying more or less the same information to all the other aircraft on the field. What you have been doing is listening to him and writing it down BEFORE making the call. So when he comes up with 'EI-XXX, runway xx, wind yy qnh 1234', you are just checking what you have written previously. And thats what you read back.

Try making up some aide-memoires for standard calls & clipping them to your kneeboard - it worked for me.

heli lonestar
5th Oct 2002, 00:41
It sure can be daunting all the radio stuff. Many of us have had the same problem, believe me.

I have two tips that may help you.

1. The scanner is a great idea. Leave it on all the time when possible, if you can pick up the frequency of your local airport. Having it on in the background somewhat simulates having it on in your headset like when you go flying. Learn to listen while going about your daily business. Listening in the aircraft will become easier. It's all about exposure and tuning in.

2. The BIG PICTURE! The more repetition you do in the circuit and the further into your training that you get you will start to see the big picture. You will learn to anticipate what the next radio call is likely to be and you'll try and always be one step ahead of the aircraft. Knowing exactly where you are and what you are doing will come.

Visiting ATC tower will give you a peek into the big picture and seeing the way things are done and where you fit into it will definately help you.

Trust yourself, learn how to fly the best that you can, let the confidence build and don't let those radio calls get the better of you. I do know the feeling you are experiencing, the nerves can be absolutely terrible, but remember that those people on the other end of the transmission are there to assist you. The whole world is not listening, it's just you telling them what you are doing or asking them what you want to do.

It will all come together. Don't let the radio's spoil the fun of learning to fly.

You will be okay!